Does Building Construction Defy the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

In summary, when a building is constructed the disordered bricks,cement etc. take form of the ordered building. This is an exception to the law that disorder increases over time.
shihab-kol
From what I know, the law says that disorder increases over time.
But, when a building is constructed the disordered bricks,cement etc. take form of the ordered building.
Am I wrong or is this an exception?

Science news on Phys.org
Well, I think it is. It is not interacting with any other thing.

Really? You think that a pile of disordered bricks, cement, etc. with no external interaction, will assemble themselves into a building.

You probably should visit a building during construction and gather some observations to support or reject your hypothesis.

I did not mean that.
What I meant was that the bricks won't interact with any thing outside the system like the vehicles,pedestrians and such like
Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

I am not sure why you think that is relevant.

What is the definition of an isolated system, and what is the definition of the second law of thermo?

OK, so what do you mean by 'system' ?
I did not understand your first question.

shihab-kol said:
In this context, a "system" is a collection of things around which you draw a notional boundary. You watch what comes in or goes out through the boundary over time. You can ask questions about the state of the system.

So you start with a pile of bricks in the middle of a vacant lot. You decide to consider the property line around the lot as the boundary of your system. Dale asks: if nothing comes in or goes out across the property line, will that pile of bricks assemble itself into a building.

Edit: Note that Dale spoke of an "isolated" system. That means that no workers are allowed to cross the line. Nor any bags of cement, catered lunches, air or water. Nor any electricity, light, sound or heat. No external forces or interactions of any kind.

Last edited:
Likes plasmon_shmasmon, QuantumQuest and russ_watters
shihab-kol said:
From what I know, the law says that disorder increases over time.
But, when a building is constructed the disordered bricks,cement etc. take form of the ordered building.
Am I wrong or is this an exception?

The people and machines, which construct the building, release heat and gaseous metabolism/combustion products that increase the entropy of the combination of the construction site and its immediate surroundings. This entropy increase is larger than the entropy decrease that happens when the construction materials are ordered in the form of a building.

Likes plasmon_shmasmon
shihab-kol said:
You need to know the concept of a system to do any physics. A system is a defined boundary containing some configuration of matter and energy. The configuration of the matter and energy is known as the state of the system. Physics is largely a process of keeping track of the matter and energy that crosses the boundary of a given system and applying laws that allow you to predict how the system changes state.

So in your case the system would be the building, and we have it in two states: a completed building, and several disorganized piles of building materials.

Likes QuantumQuest
Ok, sorry for the problem, I just got a bit panicky .
No, the building is not an isolated system.
Thanks for your help.

Likes Dale

1. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, or remain constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state or undergoing a reversible process. In simpler terms, it means that the natural direction of any physical process is towards disorder and randomness.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, meaning that the disorder or randomness of the system will also increase. This is because energy tends to disperse and become more evenly distributed, leading to a more chaotic and disordered state.

3. Can the second law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It is a principle that has been observed and tested in countless experiments and has never been found to be untrue. However, there are certain situations where it may appear to be violated, but these are usually due to incomplete knowledge or understanding of the system.

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to living organisms?

Living organisms are open systems that constantly exchange energy and matter with their surroundings. The second law of thermodynamics applies to living organisms in that they also tend to move towards disorder and randomness. However, living organisms are able to maintain their internal order and complexity by constantly taking in energy and converting it into useful work.

5. What are some real-world examples of the second law of thermodynamics in action?

Some real-world examples of the second law of thermodynamics include a cup of hot coffee cooling down, a car engine producing heat and waste gases, and a room becoming messier over time. These processes all involve energy being converted from a more organized form to a more disordered form, in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics.