Seeking formal derivation for common thermo equation

In summary, I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with a formal derivation of this common thermodynamic equation regarding the change in entropy during an isothermal change of state. However, I think I may have found a solution if anyone has anything to add.
saybrook1
Hi guys,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with a formal derivation of this common thermodynamic equation regarding the change in entropy during an isothermal change of state.

The first equation is what I would like to derive, and the second is where the book tells me to derive it from once we acknowledge that there is no energy change in an isothermal process. I've tried a few different ways but haven't had success yet. I'm thinking it has to do with the first law and then somehow relating heat to entropy.

entropy change.jpg

Anyway, thanks for any help. Even a link would rock!

Best regards

Here's a link to the image in case it won't load for you here:
http://imgur.com/a/s9qoP

Science news on Phys.org
Hello again. The best book I know of for Statistical Physics/Thermodynamics is F.Reif's book. He derives the case ## F=-kT ln Z ## and gives an extensive treatment of ## Z ## for ## N ## atoms using the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics with the ## N! ## Boltzmann factor in the denominator. ## Z=\zeta^N/N! ## where ## \zeta ## is the partition function for a single atom (of the gas). The derivation of ## \zeta ## is somewhat lengthy but not difficult. Once you get Z and F, the minus partial of F w.r.t. T at constant V I think is the entropy ## S ##.

Likes saybrook1
Hello my friend! I've just returned from getting some late night tacos; I appreciate you responding to my post again. So, the text that I'm going through is Pathria and I also have the Schroeder undergrad text "Thermal Physics". The problem is that I think Pathria implies that you can derive eqn (1) without use of the partition function. This is at the end of chapter 1 of his book and the partition function has not been introduced in any form yet. I'm just banging my head on a way to derive eqn (1) from eqn (2) under an isothermal change of state(fixed N,T). I will however attempt your method. Thanks again!

Likes Charles Link
Wooo I think I figured it out. I think you need to take eqn (2) and just take the difference like so: $$S_2(N,V_2,E) - S_1(N,V_1,E)$$
I'll report back and let you know how it goes!

Alright, so here it is. I actually found this solution while looking through the publicly available lectures notes of Alejandro L. Garcia of San Jose State University.
If anyone has anything to add, please do. A question that I still have about this, is that it doesn't seem like we needed to invoke an isothermal condition, so is this a general entropy change equation for adiabatic processes?
Entropy change solution.jpg

1. What is the common thermo equation?

The common thermo equation, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. How is the common thermo equation derived?

The common thermo equation is derived from the laws of conservation of energy and the conservation of mass. It can also be derived from the principles of work and heat, as well as the definition of internal energy.

3. Why is it important to seek a formal derivation for the common thermo equation?

A formal derivation provides a rigorous and systematic approach to understanding the fundamental principles of thermodynamics. It allows for a deeper understanding of the equation and its applications, and can also reveal any underlying assumptions or limitations.

4. Are there different versions of the common thermo equation?

Yes, there are different versions of the common thermo equation that are used in different contexts. Some examples include the open system form, the closed system form, and the steady state form. These versions may differ in the way they account for energy transfer and work.

5. How is the common thermo equation used in practical applications?

The common thermo equation is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology. It is applied in the design of engines, power plants, refrigeration systems, and other thermodynamic processes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of materials and substances under different conditions.