Seeking "Reference" Textbooks in Mathematical Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for a mathematical-physics textbook that can serve as both a study guide and reference for various topics. They have a strong mathematical background in vector calculus, single-variable analysis, set-theoretic topology, and algebra. They are currently reading Spivak's differential geometry, Lang's algebra, and Macdonald's geometric algebra. A potential suggestion is Hassani's Mathematical Physics, but there have been criticisms of this book on a physics forum.
bacte2013
Dear Friends,

Could you suggest me some good textbooks in the mathematical physics that I can use for both studying and reference? I am currently reading Landau/Lifshitz' trilogy along with couple other books (Weinberg for gravity, Arnold, etc) in different branches of physics, and I need to review some concepts from time to time. I thought it would be helpful to have a "reference" book in the mathematical physics that I can keep near to me for review. I do not have specific topics of mathematics in mind, but I just want to purchase a mathematical-physics book that contains majority of topics.

My mathematical background is the following:

Vector Calculus (Courant/Jones, Hubbard/Hubbard, Widder, Loomis/Sternberg)
Single-Variable Analysis (Rudin-PMA, Pugh, Hairer/Wanner)
Set-Theoretic Topology (Engelking, Kuratowski)
Algebra (Pinter, Aluffi)

I am currently reading Spivak's first volume in the differential geometry, Lang's Algebra, and I just started to read Macdonald's book in the geometric algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
A book that satisfies your criterion would be Hassani's Mathematical Physics.

Note howver that there have been criticisms of this book here on PF. You can use the search engine to find the relevant threads.

What is the importance of "Reference" Textbooks in Mathematical Physics?

Reference textbooks in mathematical physics serve as a valuable resource for students and researchers to gain a deeper understanding of complex mathematical concepts and their applications in physics. They provide comprehensive and in-depth coverage of topics, making them an essential tool for those seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills in this field.

What criteria should I consider when selecting a "Reference" Textbook in Mathematical Physics?

When selecting a reference textbook in mathematical physics, it is important to consider factors such as the author's expertise and reputation, the level of difficulty of the material, the comprehensiveness of the content, and the relevance of the topics covered to your specific area of interest.

Are there any recommended "Reference" Textbooks in Mathematical Physics?

There are numerous highly recommended reference textbooks in mathematical physics, such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch, and "Methods of Mathematical Physics" by Richard Courant and David Hilbert. It is always advisable to consult with your peers and instructors for their recommendations as well.

Can "Reference" Textbooks in Mathematical Physics be used for self-study?

Yes, reference textbooks in mathematical physics can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and principles before diving into these texts. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with online resources, practice problems, and discussions with others studying the same material.

How often are "Reference" Textbooks in Mathematical Physics updated?

The frequency of updates for reference textbooks in mathematical physics varies depending on the publication and the author's discretion. Some textbooks may have new editions released every few years, while others may not be updated for decades. It is important to check the publication date and any updates made to the material when using these textbooks.