Seemingly Simple Kinematics Question

• Thread starter jlatshaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, James is trying to determine the acceleration of the pulse rate in a graph showing the velocity and time between pulses. He is using a logic analyzer simulation and is trying to find out what units the acceleration value is in. He is also interested in optimizing a generic driving module for different profiles and would appreciate any input on the pros and cons of different options. He has done some research on stepper motor profiles and found some good information online.
jlatshaw
Hello,

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I am trying to find the acceleration of the 'pulse rate' in the below plot.
Every so many seconds there is a pulse (you can think of this as x displacement). The initial rate between pulses is 5 pulses/sec (you can think of this as velocity). I am attempting to find out what the acceleration of the pulses are.

At the far right of the plot the velocity becomes constant at 50 pulses/sec. The numbers at the bottom of the plot are simply counting the pulses. The red text above each pulse is the time in seconds between each pulse.

My problem is that when I use basic kinematic equation I can't determine the acceleration (it's almost like the acceleration is changing between pulses).

How do I determine the acceleration of the pulse rate?
1603126326459.png

Thank you for taking time to look at this. :)
-James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting display -- is that from an oscilloscope or logic analyzer or something? The numbers in the symbols are just a count of the symbols, right?

I just looks like a chirped waveform. And you are wanting to know the rate that the pulse frequency increases?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirp

1603127566384.png

1603128292171.png

Last edited:
Likes jlatshaw
Hi Berkeman,

Yes, this is from a logic analyzer simulation that is counting steps from a stepper motor (each pulse is one step). And yes, the numbers on the bottom are keeping track of how many pulses have occurred. I should have mentioned that the horizontal axis is time.

Also yes, my goal is to determine what the the acceleration is (pulse/sec^2). The hardware that I am using has several inputs which are pulse velocity and pulse acceleration. In the above plot I have velocity set to 50 pulses/sec and acceleration set to 5. But, when I look at the above plot, it does not look like the acceleration is 5 pulses/sec^2 but I am trying to find out what units this acceleration value is into better understand what it is doing.

I will research more into the Chirp link that you provided. If this this is following a 'chirp profile' then that would explain why the acceleration appears to be changing.

Thanks again,
James

jlatshaw said:
The hardware that I am using has several inputs which are pulse velocity and pulse acceleration. In the above plot I have velocity set to 50 pulses/sec and acceleration set to 5.
1603129260056.png

jlatshaw said:
Summary:: Referencing the below graph, how do I find the acceleration?

The initial rate between pulses is 5 pulses/sec (you can think of this as velocity). I am attempting to find out what the acceleration of the pulses are.

At the far right of the plot the velocity becomes constant at 50 pulses/sec.
I'm having trouble with the numbers you are mentioning. The plot looks like it starts at 5pps and chirps to higher pulse rates. But you say you are setting an initial value of 50pps with an "acceleration" of 5pps^2? Can you say what hardware you are using to do this generation?

yes, those are the correct numbers. Here is a another plot showing when the pulses become constant and the total 'ramp up time'
1603129862998.png

As far as the physical hardware, this is actually a simulation of stepper driver module that is running on a Cyclone 10 FPGA which is sending the pulses to a stepper driver chip. But these are simulations. I am arbitraily choosing the input velocity (50 pps) and the input acceleration (5pps^2). But you are probably realizing the same thing that I did which is that the acceleration is not actually 5 pps^2.

I can re-run this simulation with different values if it helps?

Thank you very much for all of your help.

Ah, thanks, that helps a lot. Is your goal to optimize the stepper motor acceleration profile for some application? Are you trying to balance maintaining high torque values as you increase the stepper rate? Or are you trying to generate the best profile for some machine movement (like a robot arm) where the stress on other mechanical parts plays a role in the optimization?

Likes jlatshaw
The goal is to have a generic driving module that can have adjustable parameters (such as velocity and acceleration) to meet different profiles ( so I suppose the second option that you listed). But this driver won't be used for a robot arm, it will just be used for positioning (however, if you are about to offer some pros and cons between the two options that you mentioned, I'd love to hear them. I'm still pretty new to this and would love any input).

I suppose the main reason for this post was to attempt to discover meaningful units for the 'acceleration' input so that it can better used. But it looks to me like the 'acceleration' is more of a a chirped response which isn't exactly a 'linear chirp' or an 'exponential chirp.'

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a seemingly simple kinematics question?

A seemingly simple kinematics question is a question that appears to have a straightforward answer, but may involve more complex concepts and calculations.

3. What are some common examples of kinematics problems?

Examples of kinematics problems include calculating an object's speed, acceleration, displacement, and time traveled given certain information such as initial and final positions, velocities, and acceleration.

4. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of athletes in sports, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles in physics experiments.

5. What are some tips for solving kinematics problems?

Some tips for solving kinematics problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, identifying known and unknown variables, using the appropriate kinematic equations, and checking your answer for reasonableness.