Sending signal to motor to make it for period of time

In summary, the person is looking for ideas on how to make a motor run for a certain period of time, but does not have much experience in circuits. They are wondering if there is a device that will keep a circuit closed for a period of time and allow current to flow through and therefore run the motor for the certain time. They have found some schematics, but still need some help figuring out what values to use for each component.
ponyboy
I am looking for ideas on how to make a motor run for a certain period of time, but I do not have much experience in circuits. The design is to have the system start at the push of a button. The design can be mechanical or electrical. As of now I am wondering if there is a device that will keep a circuit closed for a period of time and allow current to flow through and therefore run the motor for the certain time.

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What type of motor are you running? And what is it doing? This will dictate the type of system (electrical/mechanical) you want to set up.

I am really not sure what kind of motor. Any simple motor will work just fine. Like I said, I am new to this kind of thing. I am just expecting a motor that will turn and axle when current is sent through it.

Even though it does seem useful, that kit is a little over the project budget of $50. Any oher ideas?

Time delay relay circuit is probably the simplest way. Google it and you might find some schematics that suits your need.

If not, report back.

I've found some schematics, but I still need some help. What types of components should I get? What values (such as resistance and voltage) should they have?

This is what I have come up with so far:
-555 timer
-electric motor
-mini prototype circuit board
-resistors
-batteries
-momentary push button/switch
-maybe capacitors

I am just wondering what values each compenent should have. If I need anything else or don't need something please let me know

Thank You!

Related to Sending signal to motor to make it for period of time

1. How does sending a signal to a motor work?

Sending a signal to a motor involves using an electrical or electronic device to control the flow of electricity to the motor, which in turn causes the motor to move or rotate according to the signal it receives.

2. What types of signals can be sent to a motor?

There are various types of signals that can be sent to a motor, including electrical signals, such as voltage or current, and electronic signals, such as pulse width modulation (PWM) signals. The type of signal used depends on the specific motor and its intended function.

3. How do you determine the appropriate duration of the signal sent to a motor?

The duration of the signal sent to a motor is determined by the desired movement or rotation of the motor. This can be calculated based on the motor's speed, torque, and the load it is moving.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the signal sent to a motor?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the signal sent to a motor, such as the quality of the electrical or electronic device used to send the signal, the condition and calibration of the motor, and external factors like temperature and humidity.

5. Can the signal sent to a motor be adjusted or changed while it is running?

Yes, the signal sent to a motor can be adjusted or changed while it is running, as long as the motor and its controlling device allow for it. This can be done manually or through a control system that can adjust the signal in real-time.