Separation of variables is possible only in 11 coordinate systems?

In summary, eleven coordinate systems are possible for separation of variables. These systems are Cartesian, Circular-cylinder, Elliptic-cylinder, Parabolic-cylinder, Prolate spheroidal, Oblate spheroidal, Parabolic, Conical, Ellipsoidal, and Paraboloidal.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Is such separation possible only in 11 coordinate systems?
I vaguely (strong word there because I can no longer remember the source, but the idea sticks in my head for 30 years now) recall reading (somewhere long forgotten) that method of separation of variables is possible in only 11 coordinate systems.

I list them below:

1.Cartesian coordinates
2.Circular-cylinder coordinates
3.Elliptic-cylinder coordinates
4.Parabolic-cylinder coordinates
5.Spherical coordinates
6.Prolate spheroidal coordinates
7.Oblate spheroidal coordinates
8.Parabolic coordinates
9.Conical coordinates
10.Ellipsoidal coordinates
11.Paraboloidal coordinatesIf this is true, why eleven?
Or is my memory foggy, and this is not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Separation of variables I think needs an orthogonal coordinate system to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_variables#Curvilinear_coordinates

In the applicability section they mention this requirement briefly with a reference to the MathWorld website.

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/OrthogonalCoordinateSystem.html

This article mentions the 11 coordinate systems of degree two or less in 3D.
OK, but why 11?

There were 12 Apostles, so why not 12 (please forgive my facetiousness, but I am trying to the bottom of this that has bothered me for 30 years)

Why 11 or 8 or 14 or some other number?

Or are there moments in math, where we do not ask such questions?

I am neither sufficiently bright nor sufficiently schooled to directly answer your question. But is it not exactly similar to "why are there only 5 space filling regular polyhedra" in 3D. Seems an easier question to ponder.......

Likes Trying2Learn
hutchphd said:
I am neither sufficiently bright nor sufficiently schooled to directly answer your question. But is it not exactly similar to "why are there only 5 space filling regular polyhedra" in 3D. Seems an easier question to ponder.......
Damn, I forgot about that one. Now my day is ruined.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Trying2Learn said:
There were 12 Apostles
But Judas Iscariot killed himself

Likes Trying2Learn
malawi_glenn said:
But Judas Iscariot killed himself
Oh, now that's just great: throw in a singularity and ruin the week

i'm sure there are a dozen more with computer graphic coordinates and several different color vector coordinate systems, bipolar 2 stings and a 3D angle, toroidal-elliptic -parabolic, hyperbolic coordinates . etc. but take my wife, please, she is not coordinated ;)

1. What are the 11 coordinate systems in which separation of variables is possible?

The 11 coordinate systems in which separation of variables is possible are Cartesian, cylindrical, spherical, parabolic, elliptic, hyperbolic, toroidal, bipolar, prolate spheroidal, oblate spheroidal, and conical.

2. Why is separation of variables only possible in these 11 coordinate systems?

Separation of variables is only possible in these 11 coordinate systems because they have orthogonal coordinate systems, meaning that the coordinate lines intersect at right angles. This allows for the separation of variables in the governing equations.

3. Can separation of variables be used in any physical problem?

No, separation of variables can only be used in physical problems that have certain symmetries, such as cylindrical or spherical symmetry. It is not applicable to all physical problems.

4. How does separation of variables help in solving differential equations?

Separation of variables helps in solving differential equations by breaking down a complex differential equation into simpler equations that can be solved separately. This method is particularly useful for solving partial differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables in solving equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables in solving equations. It can only be used for linear equations, and the boundary conditions must be compatible with the separated solutions. In some cases, it may also result in a large number of equations that need to be solved simultaneously.