Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Serge Lang's "Algebra" as an undergraduate text. While it may be useful as a reference, it is not recommended as a main textbook. Other recommended texts include Mike Artin's "Algebra" and Dummitt and Foote's "Algebra". It is also mentioned that Lang may have an undergraduate text, but clarification should be sought from the professor.
DeldotB
Good day,
Did anyone here use Serge Lang's "Algebra" as an undergraduate text?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've used it as a reference for undergraduate algebra-related courses, but I would not recommend it as a main textbook. It's really something that you read once you already know the material and want to learn to think about algebra in categorical terms.

I did not do this and I do not recommend anyone else do it either. The last time I tried to teach from this book to a graduate level algebra class, it blew them away. Briefly there are almost no examples, hence the beginner does not learn much. I recommend Mike Artin's book, Algebra, and even that is a bit terse for a beginner, but well written and full of interesting examples. Dummitt and Foote has great exercises and clear statements, but some of the proofs seem unenlightening to me.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
I did not do this and I do not recommend anyone else do it either. The last time I tried to teach from this book to a graduate level algebra class, it blew them away. Briefly there are almost no examples, hence the beginner does not learn much. I recommend Mike Artin's book, Algebra, and even that is a bit terse for a beginner, but well written and full of interesting examples. Dummitt and Foote has great exercises and clear statements, but some of the proofs seem unenlightening to me.
Ok well unfortunately, it's not my decision. I was just wondering. I am in an undergraduate abstract algebra class which is using this.

Edit: yes, I've heard good things about Artin.

Last edited:
I am mind boggled. of course I hasten to say a good professor can lecture in a way that makes any class work, and any rteasonable book can be used cleverly as backup. But I recommend strongly that you obtain a different book for support. There are some really good things in Lang, but if this is your first encounter with abstract algebra, it is definitely not adequate. Just to be clear, you are talking about the gradiuate algebra book right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/038795385X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Or does he have another book?

Last edited by a moderator:
mathwonk said:
I am mind boggled. of course I hasten to say a good professor can lecture in a way that makes any class work, amd the book can be used cleverly as backup. But I recommend strongly that you obtain a different book for support. There are some really good things in Lang, but if this is your first encounter with abstract algebra, it is definitely not adequate. Just to be clear, you are talking about the gradiuate algebra book right? Or does he ahjve another book?
Yes, it's the graduate level text. I believe he does have an undergraduate text though ( maybe a typo on the college website). I am planning on using a secondary algebra text to reference. I'll look into Artin and Dummit and Foots texts. Thanks!

I am guessing that is a typo, and that his undergraduate algebra was meant:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387220259/?tag=pfamazon01-20

for the benefit of everyone in your course, you should contact the professor about this for clarification. it takes time to order books, and this may need to be corrected by the bookstroe.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text"?

"Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" refers to the textbook "Undergraduate Algebra" written by mathematician Serge Lang. It is commonly used as a textbook for undergraduate level algebra courses.

Is "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" suitable for beginners?

While "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" is a comprehensive and well-regarded textbook, it is not recommended for beginners. It is better suited for students with some prior knowledge of algebra or for those who have completed an introductory algebra course.

What sets "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" apart from other algebra textbooks?

One of the main features that sets "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" apart is its rigorous and comprehensive approach to the subject. It covers a wide range of algebraic topics and provides detailed explanations and proofs, making it a valuable resource for advanced students and those interested in pursuing higher level mathematics.

Do I need any additional resources while using "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text"?

While "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" is a comprehensive textbook, it is always helpful to supplement your learning with additional resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, or a study guide. This will help reinforce your understanding of the material and provide additional practice.

Is "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" still relevant and up-to-date?

Yes, "Serge Lang as undergraduate algebra text" is still considered a relevant and up-to-date textbook in the field of algebra. While it was first published in 1971, it has been revised and updated over the years to reflect new developments in the subject. However, it is always important to check with your instructor to ensure you are using the most current edition.