Serious science is alive and well....

Science news on Phys.org
Combining this fine research with the distribution of consumption rates for the general population may prove useful in predicting the amount of wasted (never to be consumed) beer fluid at the bottom of glasses, an insight that party hosts and bar owners may use to, say, optimize initial dispensed volume vs. ambient temperature on top of selecting an optimal container shape.

The paper mentions insulated containers, but only in passing. It would have been nice with a numeric comparison of time scales between a standard shaped insulating and this optimal non-insulating shape, but I guess the almost total lack of real-world evidence of beer being dispensed into a insulated containers does make such comparison pointless in most practical use cases where insulating containers seem to be deselected as a viable container option based alone on their non-thermal qualities. Considering coffee containers has the opposite "statistics" there may be material for an interesting study in this area somewhere for a behavioural science department.

Likes sbrothy
Filip Larsen said:
the almost total lack of real-world evidence of beer being dispensed into a insulated containers
I take it you have never been to Bavaria to view the traditional bier steins. They even have hinged lids.

They do seem to prefer their beer warm. I can't explain this.

• Wow
Likes Filip Larsen
Hornbein said:
They do seem to prefer their beer warm. I can't explain this
Totally unacceptable. @fresh_42 can you offer some sort of defence?

Hornbein said:
[...]They do seem to prefer their beer warm. I can't explain this.[...]

Oh but I can [sic :)]. I'm currently sitting outside in 0 degree Celcius and drinking a pretty strong half-litre 7.7 vol one (no container [sic :)] laws here.), and a 40 degree warm one suddenly doesn't sound so crazy. :)

It used to be normal to be served warm beer in "pubs" in Sweden and Denmark in the previous centuries but I'd be hard pressed to find a scientific citation for that one. I picked that up mostly from historical books.

EDIT: Found this fun little read:

https://expertbrewing.com/warm-beer-who-drinks-it-and-why/

Last edited: