Is the Diagram in My Geometry Homework Incorrect?

• Thread starter r0bHadz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion regarding the placement of X' in relation to the line segment between P' and Q'. The homework statement states that X' must lie on this segment, but the attached picture does not accurately reflect this. Additionally, the conversation delves into the concept of mapping under F, where the image of a line segment should also be a line segment. However, the mapping in this case results in a line segment P'X' that is not contained within P'Q'. The attempt at a solution suggests that X' is drawn elsewhere initially, but after calculating distances, it is determined that X' must be on the line P'Q'. The diagram serves as an illustration, but the calculations hold more importance
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

On my attached pic "wtflang2," he says X' must lie on the segment between P' and Q', but the picture is not indicating that. X' seems to be on a segment P'X', not on segment P'Q'.Not only that, but he says d(P,X) and d(P',X') should be equal but his picture does not show this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
He says the image of a line segment under F is a line segment. So if PQ is a line segment, and PX is a line segment contained within PQ, I don't understand how the mapping gives us a line segment P'X' that is not contained in line segment P'Q'.

Can anyone help me make sense of this theorem? I am utterly confused by it.

Attachments

• wtflang.png
    wtflang.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 301
  • wtflang2.png
    wtflang2.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 298
Physics news on Phys.org
X' is drawn elsewhere because "at that point in the text" you don't know where it is yet. After calculating the distances you learn that X' has to be on the line P'Q'. You could draw a revised diagram with that new knowledge. The calculations matter, the diagrams are just for illustration.

Likes SammyS and r0bHadz

1. Why is the author confusing?

The author may be confusing because they may not have explained their ideas clearly or may have used complex language or ideas that are difficult to follow.

2. How can I better understand the author's point?

To better understand the author's point, try reading the text multiple times and taking notes or highlighting important information. You can also research any unfamiliar concepts or ask for clarification from the author or other sources.

3. Is there a specific strategy for understanding confusing authors?

Yes, one strategy is to break down the text into smaller sections and focus on understanding each section before moving on to the next. Another strategy is to summarize the author's main points in your own words to ensure you have a clear understanding.

4. Can I ask the author for clarification?

Yes, it is always a good idea to ask the author for clarification if you are confused. You can reach out to them through email or attend any events or discussions where they may be present.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand the author after multiple attempts?

If you are still confused after multiple attempts, it may be helpful to seek out additional resources such as articles, videos, or discussions with others who have read the same text. You can also reach out to the author directly or consult a mentor or expert in the field for further clarification.