Sex/≈gender of insects that reproduce only asexually

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insects
In summary, the conversation discusses the gender of insects that reproduce only asexually. The individual asking the question suspects that they are all female due to the presence of ovums, but acknowledges that gender and sex can be different in academic contexts. The respondent explains that these insects are usually considered to be females and can reproduce through parthenogenesis, using either their own species' sperm or that of a closely related species. The conversation also mentions the diversity of mechanisms for handling genetics in asexual reproduction, such as in fish. Overall, the gender of the species is determined by the method of asexual reproduction used.
s3a
Hello, everyone.

I'm not sure if this counts as "homework", since it's just a random question I have, but I don't think the topic of this thread is "deep" enough to be in another forum category, so I hope I placed this in the right place.

Having said that, I wanted to ask the following.:
Are insects that reproduce only asexually sexless/≈genderless, all females, or what?

I suspect that they are all females, because if I'm correct, it is only the female gender which has ovums, but the ovums do not need to be fertilized for reproduction to occur. Am I (100%) correct (including my reasoning)?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S.
I put the "≈" to the left of "genderless", because, according to Wiktionary.org's sex and gender pages, "since the 1960s, it is increasingly common—particularly in academic contexts—to distinguish between sex and gender, the former being taken as inherent biological distinctions and the latter as constructed social and cultural ones."

Basically, I am only referring to the sex (unless gender is interpreted as a synonym for sex).

P.P.S.
Also, I didn't use the forum template, since I don't think my question fits it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Animals that would normally be expected to reproduce sexually, but make use of only one sex for reproduction are usually females and they reproduce parthanogenically.
The females make eggs and may or may not make use of sperm from either their own species of a closely related species to activate the egg and start development. The same females, in some cases will breed with males normally. This all makes them females.
I am not very familiar with these kind of occurrences in insects, but there are certainly some among the fish, with a diversity of mechanisms to handle the genetics. .

Basically they have to be able to make an egg. An egg is required for the complex developmental processes to occur unless an offspring can be generated by something like budding, such as can occur in hydra.

The gender of the species depends on the specific method use for asexual reproduction... ie see sexual parasitism.

What is the difference between sex and gender in insects that reproduce only asexually?

Sex refers to the biological characteristics that determine if an organism is male or female, while gender is a social construct that refers to the roles, behaviors, and identities associated with being male or female. In insects that reproduce only asexually, there is no distinction between sex and gender because there is only one biological sex present.

How do insects that reproduce only asexually reproduce?

Insects that reproduce only asexually use a process called parthenogenesis, which involves the development of an embryo from an unfertilized egg. This allows them to reproduce without the need for a male partner.

Do insects that reproduce only asexually have any genetic diversity?

Yes, they do. While asexual reproduction does not involve the mixing of genetic material from two individuals, mutations can still occur during the process of cell division, leading to genetic diversity within a population of asexually reproducing insects.

Can insects that reproduce only asexually switch to sexual reproduction?

Yes, some insects that reproduce only asexually have the ability to switch to sexual reproduction under certain environmental conditions. This is called facultative parthenogenesis and is seen in some species of insects such as aphids and stick insects.

Do insects that reproduce only asexually have any disadvantages compared to sexually reproducing insects?

While there are some advantages to asexual reproduction, such as the ability to reproduce quickly and without the need for a mate, there are also some disadvantages. Asexual reproduction does not allow for the mixing of genetic material, which can limit genetic diversity and make a population more vulnerable to environmental changes and diseases. Additionally, asexual reproduction can lead to the accumulation of harmful mutations over time.