Shape of Lenses -- Why are they always circular?

In summary, the lenses in a magnifying glass are always circular due to the manufacturing process of grinding and polishing spherical surfaces. This results in a symmetrical lens and makes it easier to mount and align in a circular frame without the risk of dropping into the hole. While there may be other shapes available, circular lenses are the most cost-efficient and common choice.
DragonSpear
TL;DR Summary
I am a bit confused about the consistent circular shape of lenses
In a magnifying glass, the lenses are always circular. I don't understand why because no matter what shape the lense is, it doesn't deny its physical properties and refraction would still occur, so why are they so consistent on making circular lenses.

I predicted that circular lenses may be cost-efficient and easy to produce but if that's the case there must be a non circular magnifying glass out there but I haven't found one on the net so I deduced that my hypothesis was probably wrong and now I need an answer.

Science news on Phys.org
DragonSpear said:
In a magnifying glass, the lenses are always circular
No, they are not. Not even close.
1685191737028.png

Likes vanhees71 and russ_watters
phinds said:
No, they are not. Not even close.
View attachment 327132
This is not to say that there is no utility to circular design. Manhole (personhole?) covers are circular for a good reason. Considering how heavy they are, it's much easier to drag them back on compared with, say, square covers that have to be oriented correctly before placing them on.

kuruman said:
This is not to say that there is no utility to circular design. Manhole (personhole?) covers are circular for a good reason. Considering how heavy they are, it's much easier to drag them back on compared with, say, square covers that have to be oriented correctly before placing them on.
Also, they don't drop down the hole if you put them in with the wrong orientation.

Round lenses are easier to mount in many types of mount because the rim thickness is the same all the way around. They're probably easier to make, at least with traditional grinding techniques. But there's no purely optical reason for round lenses that I'm aware of - see the huge range of spectacle shapes that are available, for example.

DragonSpear said:
In a magnifying glass, the lenses are always circular. I don't understand why because no matter what shape the lense is, it doesn't deny its physical properties and refraction would still occur, so why are they so consistent on making circular lenses.
Glass lenses have spherical surfaces and are ground and polished in machines that rotate the lens and the lap, so all parts of the lens, meet all parts of the lap, at all angles. The result of the polishing process is symmetrical, the lens and the lap are best made circular. If part of the circular face contact was missing, the depth of grind would change due to change in the contact pressure, so the result would not be a spherical surface lens.

A convex lens with a spherical surface will be circular after grinding and polishing. The edge is defined by the intersection of spherical surfaces. If the sharp edge is then ground back to a specified thickness, the lens will remain circular.

The support for a lens can be made in a centre lathe by cutting an internal groove and/or a machine thread in a circular tube. A circular lens does not need to be aligned when it is clamped into the circular tube or frame.

Nowadays, cheap magnifying lenses are accurately cast from clear plastic, then clipped into plastic frames. There is no requirement that those lenses or frames be circular.

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
kuruman said:
Manhole covers are round for a simple reason: circular covers cannot fall into the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and sophiecentaur
Ibix said:
Also, they don't drop down the hole if you put them in with the wrong orientation.
That is the reason manhole covers are round. Now, why did the Siamese twins move from the US to the UK?

SPOILER:
So the other one could learn to drive

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and Bystander
As long as the topic is humor (in bad taste or otherwise), let me suggest The Best of the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Baluncore said:
Glass lenses have spherical surfaces and are ground and polished in machines that rotate the lens and the lap, so all parts of the lens, meet all parts of the lap, at all angles. The result of the polishing process is symmetrical, the lens and the lap are best made circular. If part of the circular face contact was missing, the depth of grind would change due to change in the contact pressure, so the result would not be a spherical surface lens.

A convex lens with a spherical surface will be circular after grinding and polishing. The edge is defined by the intersection of spherical surfaces. If the sharp edge is then ground back to a specified thickness, the lens will remain circular.

The support for a lens can be made in a centre lathe by cutting an internal groove and/or a machine thread in a circular tube. A circular lens does not need to be aligned when it is clamped into the circular tube or frame.

Nowadays, cheap magnifying lenses are accurately cast from clear plastic, then clipped into plastic frames. There is no requirement that those lenses or frames be circular.

I would add that for the reasons stated eye glass lenses actually are circular initially. The after grinding, polishing, and coating, the edges of the circular lens is then ground down to match the shape of the frame. This is the only part of the process that LensCrafters or similar retail outlets do “in about an hour”. It is also why they don’t have to stock a zillion lenses in every frame shape.

Another reason that hasn’t been mentioned is thermal stability of the lens centration. In multi element lens systems like a camera lens or objective the performance of the lens can be very sensitive to centration, I.e how well the centers of the lenses are aligned. The symmetry of circular lens tubes make them very stable for centration over temperature. It’s not that you can’t make other forms stable. There are many examples. However, with a circular lens tube it is very simple to manufacture something cheaply and quickly that is assured of working well. Anything else requires some more careful engineering

Likes sophiecentaur
oh, one more thing. The image at the focal plane is basically a faithful copy of the scene convolved with the blur spot. Circular apertures make circularly symmetric blur spots. (Airy pattern) Non-circular apertures don’t. Because it is blurred the same in all directions an image looks better with a circular aperture. A noncircular aperture blurs a little more in the short dimensions and a little less in the long dimensions. The non symmetric blur can be noticeable in some edges looking sharper than others and this is often perceived as less natural looking.

Likes sophiecentaur
Cutter Ketch said:
, the edges of the circular lens is then ground down to match the shape of the frame.
There's more to it than that. Once you have chosen your frames, the 'fitter' establishes where your pupils sit with respect to the frame (lining you and the frame up from a distance) and a spot is placed on each dummy lens (plus XY axes). The lens is ground with its axis in the centre of the disc and any cylindrical component is orientated in the right direction. Then it's cut out to fit the frame with the centre in the right place.

Varyfocals are more critical and have to be matched precisely as the prescription varies between looking up and looking down. I bought a pair many years ago and , as soon as I tried them on, I could tell they had been mis-registered. I had to deal with "try them for a while and see how you get on" and persuaded them to check the registration. Sure enough, the 'little dots' didn't match my pupil spacing.

But the OP certainly has a point about circular lenses. Nearly all high spec optics has circular symmetry. Diffraction spikes are even visible due to the shutter or iris leaves in cameras. Telescopes, apart from the really huge ones, have circular symmetry. Large optics need multiple elements because they are too heavy to support all in one piece.

. . . . .not to mention Fresnel lenses.

(I thought I asked you not to mention them.)

1. Why do lenses have a circular shape?

Lenses have a circular shape because it allows for the most efficient use of the material and also provides the best optical performance. A circular shape minimizes the amount of material needed to create the lens, reducing cost and weight. Additionally, a circular shape helps to evenly distribute light, resulting in better image quality.

2. Can lenses be made in other shapes?

Yes, lenses can be made in other shapes such as rectangular, square, or oval. However, these shapes are less commonly used because they are not as efficient as a circular shape. They also tend to cause distortion and aberrations in the resulting image.

3. Are there any exceptions to lenses being circular?

Yes, there are some specialized lenses that have non-circular shapes. For example, fisheye lenses have a curved shape that allows for a wider field of view. Some lenses used in cameras and telescopes also have a rectangular or square shape to fit specific purposes.

4. What is the significance of a lens' shape in its function?

The shape of a lens plays a crucial role in its function. A circular shape allows for a more uniform distribution of light, resulting in sharper and clearer images. It also helps to reduce aberrations and distortions. Additionally, the shape of a lens determines its focal length and the type of image it produces.

5. Is there a reason why lenses are not made in other shapes more often?

As mentioned earlier, a circular shape is the most efficient and provides the best optical performance. Other shapes may be used for specific purposes, but they are not as versatile as a circular lens. Additionally, most cameras and other optical devices are designed to accommodate circular lenses, making them the most practical option.