Ship Mounted Coilgun Measurements

In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a ratings system for coilguns used on ships in a story. The focus was on determining the range of apere-turns needed for large coilguns with barrel diameters ranging from six inches to two feet. The suggestion was made to compare with large powder guns and apply equations for coilguns. Additionally, a Google search for "navy coil gun" yielded relevant information. The term "apere-turns" was later clarified to possibly mean "Ampere-turns" and further resources were suggested, such as Eve-Online's weapon system called the Railgun or Blaster. It was also noted that the Navy has tested railguns, not coilguns.
evanator66
In the story I am currently working on, a weapon commonly used on ships is a sort of coilgun. I want to create a ratings system for these coilguns and want to know the range of ampule-turns that would be used in large coilguns (barrel diameters range from six inches to two feet).

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
In the story I am currently working on, a weapon commonly used on ships is a sort of coilgun. I want to create a ratings system for these coilguns and want to know the range of ampule-turns that would be used in large coilguns (barrel diameters range from six inches to two feet).
"ampule-turns"?

You can get your figures by comparing with large powder guns and applying the equations for coilguns.

Welcome to the PF.

There was a recent thread here on the PF about Navy ship-mounted coilguns. I'll see if I can find it with a search...

Thanks! Also, I messed up, its apere-turns, not ampule-turns.

Check out Eve-Online's ship based weapon system called the Railgun or Blaster. I think that is what you are looking for.

Navy has tested railguns, not coilguns. Similar, but not the same.

1. How does a ship mounted coilgun work?

A ship mounted coilgun works by utilizing magnetic fields to accelerate a projectile to high speeds. The gun consists of a series of coils that create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through them. As the projectile passes through these coils, it experiences a force that propels it forward at high speeds.

2. What is the purpose of measuring a ship mounted coilgun?

The purpose of measuring a ship mounted coilgun is to ensure its accuracy and effectiveness. By measuring factors such as the magnetic field strength, projectile speed, and trajectory, scientists can fine-tune the coilgun and optimize its performance for different types of projectiles and targets.

3. What types of measurements are taken for ship mounted coilguns?

There are several types of measurements that can be taken for ship mounted coilguns, including magnetic field strength, projectile speed, projectile trajectory, and coil current. Other measurements may also be taken to analyze the efficiency and effectiveness of the coilgun.

4. How are these measurements taken?

Measurements for ship mounted coilguns are typically taken using specialized equipment such as sensors, probes, and data loggers. These tools are used to capture and record data on factors such as magnetic field strength, projectile speed, and coil current, which can then be analyzed and used to optimize the coilgun's performance.

5. What challenges are faced when measuring ship mounted coilguns?

Measuring ship mounted coilguns can present a number of challenges, including the need for specialized equipment, the need for precise measurements, and the potential for interference from external factors such as electromagnetic fields. Additionally, the size and complexity of ship mounted coilguns can make it difficult to access and take accurate measurements.