Short summary of the essentials of set theory

In summary, there are various resources available for a quick overview of set theory, such as the chapter 2 of "Analysis with an Introduction to Proof" by Lay, which is available online or through university libraries. Another option is the "Book of Proof" by Richard Hammack, although it may have longer coverage. Khan Academy also has a video series on functions and graphs, which may be helpful. For a more concise option, the first 35 pages of Halmos' "Naive Set Theory" provides a solid introduction to the basics of set theory. Additionally, a 10-page pdf by Barbara Partee also covers the main concepts in set theory.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been talking to a guy who doesn't know anything about sets, and I couldn't think of anything good to recommend that he should read. I know that there are lots of good books about set theory, but don't they all cover too many details so that it takes too long to get an overview of the basics? What I'd like to find is a good summary, no more than 20 pages long (5-10 pages would be better), that briefly explains the following, and doesn't bother to use the ZFC axioms to justify their validity:

The symbols ##\forall,\exists,\in##. The two ways to specify a set. When are two sets equal? Unions, intersections, differences, complements, cartesian products. Functions (domain, codomain, range, pre-image, etc.). Ordered n-tuples.

I'm thinking that there must be a good book on analysis or topology or something that includes a summary that fits this description.

Oh yeah, it's preferable if the relevant pages are available online.

Physics news on Phys.org
A short coverage that I found useful was in chapter 2 of "analysis with an introduction to proof" by Lay - I used the second edition since it was dirt cheap online. University library may have a copy of some edition of this book. I never took any theoretical math and it was just right for me - I suspect the guy you are talking to is in a similar boat. There are likely better options, but if no one else answers it is one that I know.

There are also quite a few free "proof" books online, but they tend to have longer coverage with lots of material in between sets and functions. But free is good! An example that looks good but I haven't read in detail:

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

Hopefully others familiar with more books than I am will chime in...

jason

Thank you Jason. That looks very good. The number of pages is higher than I wanted, and somehow the { and } symbols are messed up so that only the upper half of them is displayed (I'm assuming that wasn't on purpose), but the content looks very solid and very readable.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is the foundation of modern mathematics and provides a rigorous framework for understanding mathematical concepts and structures.

2. What are the basic elements of set theory?

The essential elements of set theory are sets, elements, and operations. Sets are collections of objects that share a common characteristic, elements are the individual objects within a set, and operations are actions that can be performed on sets, such as union, intersection, and complement.

3. What are the axioms of set theory?

The axioms of set theory are a set of fundamental principles that form the basis of all mathematical reasoning. These axioms include the axioms of extension, pairing, union, power set, and infinity, among others.

4. What is the importance of set theory in mathematics?

Set theory is crucial in mathematics because it provides a foundation for all mathematical structures and concepts. It allows for precise definitions and logical reasoning, and it is used in many branches of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and logic.

5. How is set theory applied in other fields?

Set theory has applications in various fields, including computer science, linguistics, and philosophy. In computer science, set theory is used in the development of algorithms and databases. In linguistics, it helps in the analysis of language structures. In philosophy, set theory is used to study the foundations of logic and language.