Should I go for an REU or an internship?

In summary, the individual is a Junior in electrical engineering in the U.S. with 2 years of research experience but no publications. They are considering applying to REUs this summer to gain more research experience and explore other areas, but are unsure if this would put them in a worse position than getting an internship in industry. They plan on going to graduate school but are unsure if they want to pursue a master's or a Ph.D. The speaker believes that an REU is more beneficial for academia while an internship is better for industry. They also mention that internships during a Ph.D. can also be helpful, but an REU during undergrad may also be beneficial for getting into a good Ph.D. program. They also mention that many
axmls
I'm currently a Junior in electrical engineering in the U.S. I have done research for 2 years so far with a professor, but have no publications. I may or may not have one by the time I graduate. I'm thinking about applying to REUs this summer to get more research experience as well as explore other research areas, but I'm concerned that this would put me in a worse position than if I got an internship in industry. I do plan on going to graduate school, but I have not decided on whether or not I want to do a master's or a Ph.D. Would it be a better idea to do an internship, given that I'm uncertain if I'll go the master's->industry route or the Ph.D -> academia or industry route?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, the REU is better for academia, and the internship is better for industry. I don't think it is a dealbreaker if you change your mind later, but you would be better positioned if your experience matched what you were trying to do.

Likes radium and ModusPwnd
What about for Ph.D to industry in engineering? I mean, on the one hand, internships during a Ph.D would obviously be helpful, but an REU in undergrad would be helpful to get into a good Ph.D program.

That might be true. If the PhD program is focused on industry, as some are, that might not necessarily be true, but it is a more traditional academic program probably so.

Lots of Engineering Ph.D. programs value industrial experience. I did internships after my sophomore and junior years and they helped me greatly in getting my PhD application to stand out.

What REU's are you applying to? DOE SULI is a great way to get a good internship experience because there aren't many EE applicants compared to the available slots.

Related to Should I go for an REU or an internship?

What is the difference between an REU and an internship?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is typically offered by universities or research institutions and focuses on providing hands-on research experience to undergraduate students. Internships, on the other hand, can be offered by a variety of organizations and may involve a combination of hands-on experience and other tasks, such as administrative work.

Which option will provide me with better research experience?

Both REUs and internships can provide valuable research experience, but the level of experience may vary depending on the specific program or organization. REUs often have a more structured research program, while internships may offer a more diverse range of tasks. It is important to research and compare the specific opportunities available to determine which option would best fit your goals and interests.

Will I get paid for participating in an REU or an internship?

Some REU programs and internships offer stipends or compensation for participants, while others may be unpaid. It is important to research the specific program or organization to determine if there is any form of compensation offered.

Which option will look better on my resume or graduate school application?

Both REUs and internships can be valuable additions to a resume or graduate school application. It is important to highlight the skills and experiences gained from either option, rather than focusing on the label of REU or internship. Consider which option aligns better with your academic and career goals to determine which would be more beneficial for your application.

How can I find and apply for REU or internship opportunities?

There are a variety of resources available to help students find and apply for REUs and internships. Your university's career center or research office may have a list of available opportunities, and there are also websites and databases specifically for REU and internship listings. It is important to start researching and applying for opportunities early, as many have specific deadlines and requirements.