Should I memorize all these trigonometric integrals?

In summary, these trigonometric differential identities must be memorized in order to do integrals: `sin(x) = cos(x)`, `cos(x) = -sin(x)`, `sec(x) = 1 / cos(x)`, `cosec(x)cot(x) = -cosec(x)`.
Byeonggon Lee
I only memorized these trigonometric differential identities :
`sin(x) = cos(x)
`cos(x) = -sin(x)

because I can convert tan(x) to sin(x) / cos(x) and
sec(x) to 1 / cos(x) .. etcAnd there is no need to memorize some integral identities such as :
∫ sin(x) dx = -cos(x) + C
∫ cos(x) dx = sin(x) + C

because I memorized
`sin(x) = cos(x)
`cos(x) = -sin(x)But these identities seem inevitable to memorize:
∫ sec^2(x) dx = tan(x) + C
∫ cosec^2(x) dx = -cot(x) + C
∫ sec(x)tan(x) dx = sec(x) + C
∫ cosec(x)cot(x) dx = -cosec(x) + C

For example
∫ sec^2(x) dx = tan(x) + C

First I tried to convert sec^2(x) to 1 / cos^2(x)
∫ sec^2(x) dx = ∫ (1 / cos^2(x)) dx

And that's where I'm stuck.
It looks impossible to proceed anymore without memorizing a trigonometric differential identity
`tan(x) = sec^2(x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Byeonggon Lee said:
It looks impossible to proceed anymore without memorizing a trigonometric differential identity
`tan(x) = sec^2(x)
How about remembering how to derive a fraction? [itex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\sin x}{\cos x})=\frac{\sin 'x\cdot \cos x - \cos 'x\cdot \sin x}{\cos ^{2}x}=\frac{\cos^{2}x+\sin^{2}x}{\cos ^{2}x}=\frac{1}{\cos ^{2}x} [/itex]

After the course, all of those should be second nature.

don't worry about memorizing them. As you perform integration overtime they will come second nature as stated above. Just make sure to do many practice problems each lesson/chapter

just memorize the derivatives of sin, sec, and tangent. then the others are minus the cofunctions of those. i.e. if d/dx sec = sec.tan, then d/dx csc = -csc.cot. etc...

My habit is always to go back to first principles. In the case of the derivatives of trigonometric functions, I simply memorized the derivatives of the sine and cosine. I'm not sure what Calculus textbooks you all have used, but the one I went through (Larson, 8th edition) did not give a proof that the derivative of sine is cosine, but did use this fact to establish the other derivatives and anti-derivatives. Other than this counter-example, Larson was great at showing proofs.

Do I have to wait till Advanced Calculus to find the proof that the derivative of the sine is the cosine?

David Carroll said:
Do I have to wait till Advanced Calculus to find the proof that the derivative of the sine is the cosine?
You shouldn't have to, no.

What am I talking bout, Arnold? I looked back to Larson's Calculus and there was such a proof. I was wrong.

David Carroll said:
What am I talking bout, Arnold? I looked back to Larson's Calculus and there was such a proof. I was wrong.
Yes, it would very surprising for a calculus text to not show a proof of at least one trig function, using the definition of the derivative. Once you have the derivative of either sine or cosine, then you can get the derivatives of the other trig functions by the use of other techniques. IOW, if it has been proven that d/dx(sin(x)) = cos(x), then you can get d/dx(cos(x)) by noting that ##cos(x) = sin(\pi/2 -x)##, and differentiating the latter using the chain rule.

David Carroll said:

Thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed, has a very nice proof. Can be found for 10 dollars max, and it is supperior to Larson. It also shows the trigonometric properties and how they can be derived from 2 graphs.

Please do not link to copyrighted books illegally posted on the internet.

That wasn't illegally posted on the internet.

Thats for sure that you have to memorize all the trigonometric integrals formula or you can simply learn the base formula and with some multiplying or substracting it goes to another formula, but if you are in a test memorizing those formulas are a good key for you.

1. Should I even bother memorizing trigonometric integrals?

It depends on your personal preference and the level of math you are studying. If you are in a higher level math class or pursuing a career in math or science, then it may be beneficial to memorize these integrals. However, if you are just using them occasionally in a lower level math class, it may not be necessary to memorize them.

2. How many trigonometric integrals do I need to memorize?

This can vary depending on the class or situation. Some professors or exams may require you to memorize a specific set of integrals, while others may allow you to use a formula sheet or a calculator. It is best to check with your instructor to see what is expected.

3. Is it better to understand the concept of trigonometric integrals rather than just memorizing them?

Yes, it is always better to have a strong understanding of the concept behind trigonometric integrals rather than just memorizing them. This will not only help you in solving more complex problems, but it will also make it easier for you to remember the integrals without having to constantly refer to a formula sheet.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for memorizing trigonometric integrals?

One helpful tip is to try to understand the patterns and relationships between the integrals. Many of them can be derived from a few basic integrals, so if you can remember those, it will make it easier to remember the others. You can also try practicing by applying the integrals to different types of problems.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric integrals instead of memorizing them?

It is possible to use a calculator to solve trigonometric integrals, but it may not always be the most efficient method. Some exams or classes may not allow the use of a calculator, so it is still important to have a basic understanding of the integrals. Additionally, using a calculator may result in rounding errors and may not always provide the most accurate answer.