Should I study Engineering Physics or Mechanical Engineering?

In summary: Aerospace engineering is a specialized field and is not available in every country.In summary, I think that, if you are interested in aerospace engineering and have the aptitude for it, an EP degree would be a better choice. However, if you are not interested in aerospace engineering but still want to pursue a degree in engineering, then the ME degree may be a better option. Consult with your advisors to get a better understanding of what level of education is needed to pursue the career of your dreams.
TonyG04
I am unsure of what career to choose. I really like Physics and Math, and I have this desire to know more about things, which is what EP has to offer. I think that EP is mainly theoretical and does not teach many practice, but I believe that I can complement this by entering groups in my university and also by gaining experience in internships. It is important to add that my interest is in the aerospacial field. I would love to work with anything regarding rockets or planes: design, electrical components, programming, etc.

Nonetheless, many people have told me that EP does not have a broad laboral field compared with ME. I understand that ME is a career which does not bring the detailed knowledge as EP, but that it teaches more practice.

1) What would you recommend me: EP or ME, considering my interests?

I also have this question. Let's say I study EP. If an employer is looking for a ME (for any job, not necessarily within the aerospacial field), and I evidence my deep knowledge and that I also put it in practice throughout my career, would I still have a disadvantage compared to a ME? Or would many of them just ignore my application because I am not a ME?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
TonyG04 said:
I am unsure of what career to choose. I really like Physics and Math, and I have this desire to know more about things, which is what EP has to offer. I think that EP is mainly theoretical and does not teach many practice, but I believe that I can complement this by entering groups in my university and also by gaining experience in internships. It is important to add that my interest is in the aerospacial field. I would love to work with anything regarding rockets or planes: design, electrical components, programming, etc.

Nonetheless, many people have told me that EP does not have a broad laboral field compared with ME. I understand that ME is a career which does not bring the detailed knowledge as EP, but that it teaches more practice.

1) What would you recommend me: EP or ME, considering my interests?

I also have this question. Let's say I study EP. If an employer is looking for a ME (for any job, not necessarily within the aerospacial field), and I evidence my deep knowledge and that I also put it in practice throughout my career, would I still have a disadvantage compared to a ME? Or would many of them just ignore my application because I am not a ME?
I think EP, which is what my undergrad degree was in, is better suited if you are going to continue your education in grad school. If you plan to enter the job market right after graduation then the ME degree might be better but it sounds to me like you really want to continue your education along the lines of Aerospace engineering. Ask your advisors what level of degree do you need to do the work you really want to do.

TonyG04 said:
I think that EP is mainly theoretical and does not teach many practice
Your first step is to research the actualities of what each degree would require you to take rather than basing your decision on a vague perception of what would be entailed. Consult your school's courses guide/academic calendar and compare both programs side by side including all required courses and what electives you would be able to take.

Likes CalcNerd and Choppy
TonyG04 said:
my interest is in the aerospacial field
I would also research what opportunities for this field of employment exist in whichever country you are hoping to work in once you graduate. The number of countries that have a substantial aerospace industry are limited.

Likes Delta2 and berkeman

1. What is the main difference between Engineering Physics and Mechanical Engineering?

Engineering Physics is a combination of physics and engineering principles for the development of new technologies and devices, while Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems.

2. Which field has better career opportunities?

Both Engineering Physics and Mechanical Engineering have a high demand in various industries. However, Mechanical Engineering has a wider range of job opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

3. Which field offers a more challenging curriculum?

Engineering Physics is considered to be more challenging as it requires a strong understanding of both physics and engineering concepts. Mechanical Engineering also has a challenging curriculum, but it focuses more on the application of engineering principles.

4. Will I be able to switch between these two fields?

It is possible to switch between Engineering Physics and Mechanical Engineering, as both fields have similar foundational courses in physics and mathematics. However, it may require additional coursework or credits to make the switch.

5. Which field is better for research opportunities?

Engineering Physics is more research-oriented, as it involves developing new technologies and devices. However, Mechanical Engineering also offers research opportunities in areas such as renewable energy, robotics, and materials science.