Should I take grade 12 biology for engineering?

In summary, Dropping Biology from the list of courses to take will not close any doors for the student.
Esoremada
Right now, I'm in grade 12 and already have my courses chosen, but I chose to take a data management math course instead of biology. I don't doubt I'll enjoy the math class, as I'm interested in stats, but will not having biology close doors for me? I still haven't decided on what branch of engineering I want to go into (I'll probably take TrackOne at UofT), but what if I want to design medical technology as a mechanical engineer and don't know biology?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man, I see you must know of Canadian schools since your looking at UofT! I'm an engineering student at Queen's which has a general first year, equivilant to the first year program UofT's offers with track one.

Dropping Biology will close no doors for you. Most of the engineering done on biological systems is more focused on what you are designing than the biological side whatsoever. For example, if you were trying to design an artificial arortia valve, you would only need to know as much in biology that would effect your design (such as plauge buildup on your system, bone/ cartilige forming on it, etc). Bio would give you a bit of a better understanding of how the body works, but trust me, the more math you can learn now, the better. I really regret not learning integrals before first year. That should be your priorities over bio.

So don't sweat it that you dropped bio. I dropped it too, and I still could have went into bio-mech engineering if i wanted. All the required bio you will need you will learn in university.

Also, I remember that data management was an EASY course. Take it as a mark booster, because as I remember when I applied that the cutoff for my program was 88 (and my average was 88.6%!).

Hope this helped, if you have any other questions just ask!

bassbrotha said:
snip

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear that math is more important :D. Maybe I'll see you in Queens next year, I still can't decide what university I want to go to - probably going to apply to everything and see what sticks lol.

What is the relevance of grade 12 biology for engineering?

Grade 12 biology provides a foundation in the study of living organisms and their processes. This knowledge is important in many engineering fields such as biotechnology, environmental engineering, and biomedical engineering.

Will taking grade 12 biology help me in my engineering courses?

Yes, grade 12 biology can help you understand and apply concepts in engineering courses related to the natural world. It can also improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Can I still pursue engineering without taking grade 12 biology?

While it is not mandatory to take grade 12 biology for engineering, it is highly recommended as it can provide a solid foundation for understanding and applying scientific principles in engineering.

What topics in grade 12 biology are most relevant to engineering?

Some topics in grade 12 biology that are relevant to engineering include genetics, cell biology, ecology, and human anatomy and physiology. These topics provide a basic understanding of how living organisms function, which is important in many engineering fields.

How can grade 12 biology benefit my future career in engineering?

Grade 12 biology can benefit your future career in engineering by providing a well-rounded education and a strong foundation in scientific principles. This can make you a more competitive candidate for engineering jobs and open up opportunities in specialized fields such as biotechnology or environmental engineering.