Should Mentors Receive Public Criticism for Their Voluntary Work on Forums?

• Thread starter physicsisphirst
  • Start date
In summary, there have been instances of public criticism towards mentors on these forums, which is deemed inappropriate and unkind. The recommended course of action when there is a disagreement is to handle it privately through PM or with the site admin in a civilized manner. It is important to show gratitude towards mentors who volunteer their time and energy to make these forums a better place. If there are unresolved issues with a mentor, it is suggested to contact the site admin or start a topic in the feedback forum.
physicsisphirst
i'm really surprised that even here some people publically chastise mentors on these excellent forums. mentors are volunteers and are maintaining a standard here. they are doing the job that they are supposed to be doing.

if there is a disagreement, surely it can be handled via PM or the matter can even be taken up with the site admin in a civilized and courteous manner. public criticism is both inappropriate and unkind.

it is unfortunate, in my humblest opinion and experience, for anyone to be complaining on these forums in this fashion, literally accusing mentors of violating some inalienable rights supposedly owed us, simply because we have been granted the privilege of typing a few words on a screen.

i think it much preferable to show our gratitude towards people who give their time and energy in making these forums a better place instead of irately accusing them of violating this precious freedom of screech.

in friendship,
prad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if there is a disagreement, surely it can be handled via PM or the matter can even be taken up with the site admin in a civilized and courteous manner. public criticism is both inappropriate and unkind.

Have you ever tried your own reccomendation? I have asked on several occassions, for an explanation of the treatment I have recieved, by email to the mentor concerned, I have yet to receive a reply.

Some time ago I received 'warning number 7' I have not yet received notification of warnings 1 to 6. No reply to request for explanation.

I was banned without reason or notification from posting new threads to all forums, no reply to request for explanation. I am still banned from Theory Development, where my old thread has been closed, again without any reason being given.

Look at the comments about Theory Development made by mentors and ask yourself if it represents the sort of atitude required to judge entries.

I have been imformed that my work has been used for debate by two higher education schools and one amateur science debating group. I have also received one correction from a leading astrophysicist when I quoted him incorrectly; this indicates that my work cannot be wholly without merit; except in the opinion of PF mentors.

When voluntary subscritions were requested I made a small donation , but it was what I could afford, now we are asked for regular subscriptions but is the service going to treat regular subscribers any better?

Last edited by a moderator:
elas said:
Some time ago I received 'warning number 7' I have not yet received notification of warnings 1 to 6. No reply to request for explanation.
I cannot comment on the rest, but you did not receive warning number 7: you received a warning that counts as 7 points (there is a 15 point limit).

If you can't resolve a matter with a mentor, contact the site administrator or start a topic in the feedback forum. Starting a topic doesn't mean attacking a mentor, but rather ask for a clarification of the situation.

Thank-you for this limited reply, if only other mentors made the same effort perhaps I could make some progress, at present I am still looking for another way of getting a debate going.

1. Why is it important to address issues with a mentor?

Addressing issues with a mentor is important because it can impact the quality of your mentorship experience and your overall growth as a scientist. If you have concerns or frustrations with your mentor, it is important to communicate them in order to improve your relationship and ensure that you are receiving the support and guidance you need.

2. How should I approach a conversation about my mentor's behavior?

It is best to approach the conversation in a calm and respectful manner. Be specific about the behavior or actions that are causing concern and provide examples. It is also important to listen to your mentor's perspective and try to find a solution together.

3. What if my mentor is not receptive to my feedback?

If your mentor is not receptive to your feedback, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a trusted colleague, mentor, or university resource. They may be able to provide advice on how to address the situation or help facilitate a conversation between you and your mentor.

4. How can I maintain a positive relationship with my mentor while addressing issues?

It is important to communicate openly and respectfully with your mentor throughout the process. Focus on finding solutions and maintaining a positive working relationship. It may also be helpful to have a third party, such as a colleague or mentor, present during the conversation to provide support and mediate if necessary.

5. What steps can I take to prevent issues with my mentor in the future?

To prevent issues with your mentor in the future, it is important to establish clear expectations and boundaries at the beginning of your mentorship. Regular check-ins and open communication can also help address any issues before they escalate. Additionally, seeking feedback from your mentor and reflecting on your own behavior can help improve the mentor-mentee relationship.

Back