Show that an expression approaches an integer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a limit being an integer and how it relates to the expression $$lim_n (2+ \sqrt(2))^n $$ The conversation also mentions using a binomial expansion and the concept of the difference between the expression and the nearest integer going to zero as n approaches infinity.
John Greger
TL;DR Summary
Is this limit an integer?
I came across a rather strange thing in an introductory class I still don't understand.

There was a statement that $$lim_n (2+ \sqrt(2))^n $$ is an integer. I recalled that I never understood this and just recently tried to take the limit but just get that the expression diverge? Which I think makes sense, so how can this expression be an integer?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Greger said:
Summary:: Is this limit an integer?

... so how can this expression be an integer?
##n \to 0## or ##n\to -\infty##

Likes John Greger, jedishrfu and Vanadium 50
fresh_42 said:
##n \to 0## or ##n\to -\infty##
Sorry about that! Will try to edit the post, should be as n goes to infinity!

I could do a Binomial expansion and argue that every ## {n \choose k}## are integers so we reduce the problem to arguing that the sum of 2 to some power of n should an integer but it does not bring me so much closer...

John Greger said:
I could do a Binomial expansion and argue that every ## {n \choose k}## are integers so we reduce the problem to arguing that the sum of 2 to some power of n should an integer but it does not bring me so much closer...
Why would the limit be finite?

PeroK said:
Why would the limit be finite?
Indeed.
In fact, for any real number ##\epsilon \ge 0##, ##\lim_{n \to \infty} (2 + \epsilon)^n = \infty##. This should be easy to prove.

Perhaps the intended question why the difference between ##(2+\sqrt{2})^n## and the nearest integer goes to zero when ##n\to\infty.## This is because ##(2+\sqrt{2})^n+(2-\sqrt{2})^n## is always an integer, and the latter term goes to zero.

• Informative
Likes Office_Shredder, Keith_McClary, etotheipi and 1 other person
Infrared said:
Perhaps the intended question why the difference between ##(2+\sqrt{2})^n## and the nearest integer goes to zero when ##n\to\infty.## This is because ##(2+\sqrt{2})^n+(2-\sqrt{2})^n## is always an integer, and the latter term goes to zero.
This makes sense!

1. What does it mean for an expression to approach an integer?

When an expression approaches an integer, it means that as the values of the variables in the expression get closer and closer to a certain number, the value of the expression gets closer and closer to that integer.

2. How can you show that an expression approaches an integer?

To show that an expression approaches an integer, you can use a limit statement. This involves plugging in increasingly smaller values for the variables in the expression and observing the resulting values getting closer to the integer in question.

3. What is the significance of an expression approaching an integer?

An expression approaching an integer can indicate that the expression is approaching a specific value or solution. This can be useful in solving equations and understanding the behavior of functions.

4. Are there any limitations to showing an expression approaches an integer?

Yes, there are limitations to showing an expression approaches an integer. This method may not work for all types of expressions, and it may not be possible to determine the exact integer that the expression is approaching.

5. Can an expression approach more than one integer?

Yes, an expression can approach more than one integer. This can happen when the expression has multiple solutions or when the limit of the expression is a range of values rather than a single integer.