Show that G is a subset of the symmetric group

In summary: Therefore, $f\in S_n$, and thus $G\subseteq S_n$. In summary, we have a map $d$ with the property that $d(x,y)=0$ if and only if $x=y$, a set $M$ with $n$ elements, and a set $G$ consisting of injective maps from $M$ to itself that preserve the distance defined by $d$. We want to show that $G$ is a subset of the symmetric group $S_n$, which consists of all bijective maps from $M$ to itself. To do so, we use the pigeonhole principle to show that if an element of $G$ is not surjective, it will lead to a contradiction,
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and $M=\{1, 2, \ldots , n\}\subset \mathbb{N}$. Let $d:M\times M\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ a map with the property $$\forall x, y\in M : d(x,y)=0\iff x=y$$
Let \begin{equation*}G=\{f: M\rightarrow M \mid \forall x,y\in M : d(x,y)=d\left (f(x), f(y)\right )\}\end{equation*} and $S_n$ the symmetric group, i.e. the set of all bijective maps of $M$ to itself with the composition.

Each $f\in G$ ist injective.

I want to show that $G\subseteq S_n$. We have to show that $f\in S_n$, i.e. that $f$ is surjective, or not? Could you give me a hint how we could show that? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari,

You're correct, we need to show that $f$ is both surjective and injective. Since you've only asked about surjectivity, I will assume you've handled the injectivity part already.

By way of contradiction, suppose $f$ is not surjective and that there are $k$ elements of $M$ that $f$ doesn't map onto. Can you construct an argument from here? Hints: Use the Pigeonhole Principle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeonhole_principle) and the defining property of the set $G$. Feel free to let me know if anything is unclear.

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and $M=\{1, 2, \ldots , n\}\subset \mathbb{N}$. Let $d:M\times M\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ a map with the property $$\forall x, y\in M : d(x,y)=0\iff x=y$$
Let \begin{equation*}G=\{f: M\rightarrow M \mid \forall x,y\in M : d(x,y)=d\left (f(x), f(y)\right )\}\end{equation*} and $S_n$ the symmetric group, i.e. the set of all bijective maps of $M$ to itself with the composition.

Each $f\in G$ ist injective.

I want to show that $G\subseteq S_n$. We have to show that $f\in S_n$, i.e. that $f$ is surjective, or not? Could you give me a hint how we could show that? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari!

From the property we have that if $x\ne y$ that $d(x,y)\ne 0$ don't we?

Now suppose that we have an $f\in G$ that is not surjective...
$M$ has exactly $n$ elements. If one element is not reached, then there must be 2 elements that have the same image, mustn't it?
After all, the pigeonhole principle says: if there are more items than slots, there must be a slot with 2 items. (Thinking)

EDIT: Aww, beaten to it by GJA.

Didn't mean to swoop in, I like Serena. I will gladly defer this post to your expertise!

Last edited:
So, we have the following:

We assume that $f\in G$ is not surjective.

$M$ has exactly $n$ elements. If one element is not reached, then there must be $2$ elements that have the same image.

According to the pigeonhole principle we get that $x\neq y$ with $f(x)=f(y)$, or not?

From $x\neq y$ we get that $d(x,y)\neq 0$. From $f(x)=f(y)$ we have that $d(f(x), f(y))=0$. But since it holds that $d(x,y)=d(f(x), f(y))$, we get a contradiction.

Therefore, $f$ is a surjective map. Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Yep. All correct. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. All correct. (Nod)

Great! Thanks a lot! (Smile)

In general, for any finite set $X$, a mapping $f:X\to X$ is injective if and only if it is surjective.

What is a symmetric group?

A symmetric group is a mathematical group consisting of all permutations (or rearrangements) of a given set of elements. In other words, it is a set of all possible ways to arrange the elements in the set.

What does it mean for G to be a subset of the symmetric group?

If G is a subset of the symmetric group, it means that all elements of G are also elements of the symmetric group. In other words, G is a smaller set that is contained within the larger set of all permutations.

How do you show that G is a subset of the symmetric group?

To show that G is a subset of the symmetric group, you must demonstrate that all elements of G can be written as permutations of a given set. This can be done by explicitly writing out the permutations or by using mathematical notation to represent them.

Why is it important to show that G is a subset of the symmetric group?

It is important to show that G is a subset of the symmetric group because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of G. The symmetric group is a well-studied and understood mathematical concept, so by showing that G is a subset of it, we can draw conclusions about G and apply existing knowledge to further study it.

What are some examples of G being a subset of the symmetric group?

One example of G being a subset of the symmetric group is the set of all rotations and reflections of a square, which forms a subgroup of the symmetric group of the square. Another example is the set of all even permutations of a given set, which is a subgroup of the symmetric group of that set.