Show that ##^{n+1}C_r=^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}##

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Show that ##^{n+1}C_r=^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}##
Relevant Equations
Basic combination theory
##^nC_r=\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)(n-r+1)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##

##^nC_{r-1}=\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)}##

##^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}=\dfrac{[n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)](n-r+1+r)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}=\dfrac{(n+1)(n)(n-1)...(n-r+2)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##

But ##^{n+1}C_r=\dfrac{(n+1)(n)(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##

So where did I go wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
RChristenk said:
Homework Statement: Show that ##^{n+1}C_r=^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}##
Relevant Equations: Basic combination theory

##^nC_r=\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)(n-r+1)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##

##^nC_{r-1}=\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)}##

##^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}=\dfrac{[n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)](n-r+1+r)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}=\dfrac{(n+1)(n)(n-1)...(n-r+2)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##

But ##^{n+1}C_r=\dfrac{(n+1)(n)(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##

So where did I go wrong? Thanks.
In your formula of
replacing n to n+1, we get
##^{(n+1)}C_r=\dfrac{(n+1)n(n-1)(n-2)...(n+1-r+2)(n+1-r+1)}{1\cdot2\cdot3...\cdot(r-1)\cdot r}##
, which is different from your last line. Which is correct ?

Likes RChristenk
It is probably clearer to use factorial notation, noting that [itex]n - (r - 1) = n - r + 1 = n + 1 - r[/itex]: [tex]
\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} + \frac{n!}{(n-(r-1))!(r-1)!} =\frac{(n+1 - r)n! + r n!}{(n+1-r)!r!}[/tex]

Beat me to it! Twice ! darn phone, darn ##\LaTeX## curly brackets :wink:

Comment on the notation: it's a lot easier when you write ## ^nC_r={n \choose r}={n!\over (n-r)! r!} ## : $$
\begin{align*}
{n+1 \choose r} &={(n+1!)\over (n+1-r)!\; r!}\\ \ \\ &= {n+1\over n+1-r}{n\choose r} \\ \ \\&={n\choose r} + {r\over n+1-r}{n\choose r}\\ \ \\&={n\choose r} + {r\over n-(r-1)}{n\choose r}\\ \ \\&={n\choose r} +{n\choose r-1}\end{align*}\\ \ \\ $$

Old dutch expression: too late, like mustard when the meal is already over :frown:

##\ ##

Likes PeroK
RChristenk said:
Homework Statement: Show that ##^{n+1}C_r=^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}##
We choose r elements from n+1 elements.
Say an element we look is not chosen, we choose r elements from the rest n elements.
Say an element we look is chosen, we choose r-1 elements from the rest n elements.

It's simpler to start with the right hand side:
$$\binom n r +\binom n {r-1} = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r! }+ \frac{n!}{(n-r+1)!(r-1)!}$$$$=\frac{n!(n-r+1) +n!r}{(n-r+1)!r!}$$$$= \frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1-r)!r!} = \binom{n+1}r$$

Likes BvU
BvU said:
Beat me to it! Twice ! darn phone, darn ##\LaTeX## curly brackets :wink:
You must have the patience of a god to type ##LATEX## on the phone.

Likes PeroK
Mere mortal :smile: -- after ' some frustration' had to retreat to the desktop in my study...

Likes docnet
docnet said:
You must have the patience of a god to type ##LATEX## on the phone.
I'm doing all my posts on the phone this week.

• Wow
Likes docnet
PeroK said:
BvU said:
Mere mortal :smile: -- after ' some frustration' had to retreat to the desktop in my study...
Now I'm wondering what you all do for day work 🤔

Speaking of ##\LaTeX## …

RChristenk said:
##^{n+1}C_r=^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}##

##^nC_r+^nC_{r-1}##
This looks quite miserable. You see, ##\LaTeX## interprets ^{} as belonging to whatever came before. Rater than ##= {}^nC_r## it has interpreted it as ##=^n## and then ##C_r##, etc.

There are packages that more or less solve this, but those generally won’t be available here. The closest you will get is something like {}^nC_r, which is what was used above. You can also opt for the alternative notation {n \choose r} ##{n \choose r}##.

PeroK said:
I would say I do about 80% of my posts on mobile. Including some pretty heavy on ##\LaTeX## …

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR and docnet
Orodruin said:
Speaking of ##\LaTeX## …

This looks quite miserable. You see, ##\LaTeX## interprets ^{} as belonging to whatever came before. Rater than ##= {}^nC_r## it has interpreted it as ##=^n## and then ##C_r##, etc.

There are packages that more or less solve this, but those generally won’t be available here. The closest you will get is something like {}^nC_r, which is what was used above. You can also opt for the alternative notation {n \choose r} ##{n \choose r}##.

I would say I do about 80% of my posts on mobile. Including some pretty heavy on ##\LaTeX## …
Good point! I didn't notice that before. So why not just put the ##^n## on the right like ##C^n_r##?

docnet said:
Good point! I didn't notice that before. So why not just put the ##^n## on the right like ##C^n_r##?
That is an alternative notation, but presumably not the one used by OP’s course material.

• Informative
Likes docnet
Orodruin said:
You can also use the construct "{}^{a+b}_{\phantom{1}-\theta}X_{\pm}^{r+1}" to get fairly well-aligned prescripts: ##{}^{a+b}_{\phantom{1}-\theta}X_{\pm}^{r+1}##.

renormalize said:
You can also use the construct "{}^{a+b}_{\phantom{1}-\theta}X_{\pm}^{r+1}" to get fairly well-aligned prescripts: ##{}^{a+b}_{\phantom{1}-\theta}X_{\pm}^{r+1}##.
Sure, but that is not necessary in this case. \phantom also comes with its own limitations. Particularly when the characters you want to align have different widths, such as ##{}^{a+i}_{\phantom{a}-m}C##, which looks absolutely horrible.