Show the proof involving multiples of numbers

In summary, the sum of four consecutive multiples of ##4## is always a multiple of ##8##. This can be shown by expressing the sum of four consecutive multiples as ##4x+24##, which can be factored as ##4(x+6)##, proving that it is always a multiple of ##8##. Another approach is to use the general expression for the sum of four terms in an arithmetic progression, with the common difference being ##4##, and showing that it can be written as ##4(x+6)##, which is always a multiple of ##8##.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Prove that the sum of four consecutive multiples of ##4## is always a multiple of ##8##
Relevant Equations
algebra
Let the first multiple of ##4=x##, then it follows that;
##x+(x+4)+(x+8)+(x+12)=4x+24=4(x+6)## ...where ##4## is a multiple of ##8##

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh?

• Love
Likes WWGD and Delta2
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that the sum of four consecutive multiples of ##4## is always a multiple of ##8##
Relevant Equations:: algebra

Let me do some research on this ...

Hi @chwala! .

4 is not a multiple 8 (instead 8 is a multiple 4)

Your proof needs 1 more final little step. you got to factor an additional factor of 2 out of ##4(x+6)## so u have ##4\cdot 2 (...+...)=8(...+...)## so it is obvious it is a multiple of 8. Got any ideas?

Likes chwala
The original problem is equivalent to the sum of any four consecutive integers being even.

Likes chwala
Thanks I will look at this later...

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that the sum of four consecutive multiples of ##4## is always a multiple of ##8##
Relevant Equations:: algebra

Your interpretation of the problem statement is incorrect. Four consecutive multiples of 4 would be ##k \cdot 4, (k+1) \cdot 4, (k+2) \cdot 4, (k+3) \cdot 4##.

Also, if there aren't any relevant equations, just leave that section empty rather than putting in something that is meaningless. "Algebra" is not relevant, let alone being an equation.

Mark44 said:
Your interpretation of the problem statement is incorrect. Four consecutive multiples of 4 would be k⋅4,(k+1)⋅4,(k+2)⋅4,(k+3)⋅4.
No I don't think its incorrect, it is the same as yours with ##x=4k##. He just names it x instead of 4k.

Delta2 said:
No I don't think its incorrect, it is the same as yours with ##x=4k##. He just names it x instead of 4k.
Fair enough -- I didn't read the post that carefully.

• Love
Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Hi @chwala! .

4 is not a multiple 8 (instead 8 is a multiple 4)

Your proof needs 1 more final little step. you got to factor an additional factor of 2 out of ##4(x+6)## so u have ##4\cdot 2 (...+...)=8(...+...)## so it is obvious it is a multiple of 8. Got any ideas?
Would that be;

##4\cdot 2(\dfrac{x}{2}+3)=8(\dfrac{x}{2}+3)?## Where ##x## will always divide ##2##...or ##2## will always be divisible by ##x.##

Likes lurflurf
chwala said:
Would that be;

##4\cdot 2(\dfrac{x}{2}+3)=8(\dfrac{x}{2}+3)?## Where ##x## will always divide ##2##...or ##2## will always be divisible by ##x.##
I've no idea why you are using ##x## for a multiple of four, and then never use this fact explicitly.

chwala said:
Would that be;

yes, but you want to say that 2 divides x (because x is a multiple of 4 and 2 divides 4).

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
I've no idea why you are using ##x## for a multiple of four, and then never use this fact explicitly.
Well x is a multiple of 2 was used
x is a multiple of 4 is not needed

Likes chwala
lurflurf said:
Well x is a multiple of 2 was used
x is a multiple of 4 is not needed
How can you "like" a post that says that 2 will always be divisible by a multiple of 4?

chwala said:
In any case, the OP should be using ##4k## and not ##x## when dealing with an arbitrary multiple of 4. That's just basic, good technique.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Mark44 and chwala
PeroK said:
How can you "like" a post that says that 2 will always be divisible by a multiple of 4?In any case, the OP should be using ##4k## and not ##x## when dealing with an arbitrary power of 4. That's just basic, good technique.
Noted @PeroK ...thanks for pointing that out.

PeroK said:
when dealing with an arbitrary power of 4.
E hehe typo police here, you mean arbitrary multiple of 4, not power.

Likes lurflurf and PeroK
PeroK said:
How can you "like" a post that says that 2 will always be divisible by a multiple of 4?In any case, the OP should be using ##4k## and not ##x## when dealing with an arbitrary multiple of 4. That's just basic, good technique.
I liked it because I liked it. Sometimes I like things that are not perfect. Clearly a simple typo. We all make them. Naming variables conveniently not a the most important technique, but is helpful at times. 4x,4x+4,4x+8,4x+12 is nice I would probably use x-6,x-2,x+2,x+6 instead but it does not matter. Often you would not realize the desired form until after naming the variables. Sure you could then edit your work to appear psychic, but why bother.

Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
In any case, the OP should be using 4k and not x when dealing with an arbitrary multiple of 4. That's just basic, good technique.
For me, doing this is a result of standing in front of a math classroom for many years, trying to make things as self-explanatory as possible. IOW, trying to follow the Principle of Least Astonishment.

This may be a roundabout way. You have a general expression for the sum of 4 terms in an AP (Arithmetic Progression) , with r=4.
When would this sum 4(x+6) be a multiple of 8?
You need a multiple of 2 here, since you already have a 4 available. So you could prove something stronger, of when such a sum is a multiple of 8, and conclude it's true for x a multiple of 4.

WWGD said:
This may be a roundabout way. You have a general expression for the sum of 4 terms in an AP (Arithmetic Progression) , with r=4.
When would this sum 4(x+6) be a multiple of 8?
You need a multiple of 2 here, since you already have a 4 available. So you could prove something stronger, of when such a sum is a multiple of 8, and conclude it's true for x a multiple of 4.
I had initially thought of using this approach of finding sum...i will look at this and get back by weekend...

Likes WWGD and Delta2

1. What is the definition of a multiple of a number?

A multiple of a number is a number that can be obtained by multiplying that number by any whole number. For example, the multiples of 3 are 3, 6, 9, 12, and so on.

2. How can we prove that a number is a multiple of another number?

To prove that a number is a multiple of another number, we can use the division algorithm. If the remainder is 0 when we divide the first number by the second number, then the first number is a multiple of the second number.

3. What is the relationship between factors and multiples?

Factors are numbers that can divide a given number without leaving a remainder, while multiples are numbers that are obtained by multiplying a given number by any whole number. Therefore, the factors of a number are also its multiples.

4. Can a number have an infinite number of multiples?

Yes, a number can have an infinite number of multiples. This is because we can always multiply a number by a larger whole number to get a new multiple.

5. How can we use multiples to find the LCM and GCD of two numbers?

The LCM (least common multiple) of two numbers is the smallest positive number that is a multiple of both numbers. The GCD (greatest common divisor) of two numbers is the largest positive number that divides both numbers without leaving a remainder. We can use the multiples of the two numbers to find their LCM and GCD by identifying the smallest multiple that is common to both numbers for the LCM, and the largest multiple that is common to both numbers for the GCD.