Showing skew lines lie in parallel planes

In summary: Choose one from each line and use the normal vector as the vector from one point to the other. So now you have one point and a normal vector for each plane. That is enough to find the equation for each plane.In summary, the user mikemichiel is trying to find the equation of two planes using the directional vectors of two given lines. They have enough information to find one equation for a plane, but they are unsure of how to find the other. They are seeking guidance on this matter.
mikemichiel
Im givin these two lines..
L1= x=4+5t y=5+5t z=1-4t
L2= x=4+s y=-6+8s z=7-3s

What i tried doing was taking the directional vector of both lines <5 5 -4> <1 8 -3>, and crossing them to find the normal vector. I hav enough information to find 1 equation of a plane, but how can I find the other. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mikemichiel! Welcome to PF! :wink:
mikemichiel said:
Im givin these two lines..
L1= x=4+5t y=5+5t z=1-4t
L2= x=4+s y=-6+8s z=7-3s

What i tried doing was taking the directional vector of both lines <5 5 -4> <1 8 -3>, and crossing them to find the normal vector. I hav enough information to find 1 equation of a plane, but how can I find the other.

You have the normal …

can't you find the plane from that?

And why do you need more than 1 equation for a plane? :smile:

To find the equation of a plane, you need a normal vector and a point in the plane. You have two lines that presumably lie in each line in the planes you want. Any point on the line will do.

Related to Showing skew lines lie in parallel planes

What are skew lines?

Skew lines are two lines that do not intersect and are not parallel. They lie in different planes and have different slopes.

How can you determine if two skew lines lie in parallel planes?

You can determine if two skew lines lie in parallel planes by checking if they have the same direction vectors. If the direction vectors are parallel, then the two lines lie in parallel planes.

What is the significance of showing that skew lines lie in parallel planes?

Showing that skew lines lie in parallel planes is important in geometry and physics. It helps to understand the relationship between lines and planes, and can be used to solve problems involving spatial relationships.

What are some real-life examples of skew lines lying in parallel planes?

A common example of skew lines lying in parallel planes is a pair of train tracks. They do not intersect and are not parallel, but they lie in parallel planes. Another example is a pair of telephone poles that are not directly across from each other but are still parallel.

Is it possible for skew lines to lie in more than two parallel planes?

Yes, it is possible for skew lines to lie in more than two parallel planes. This occurs when the lines are parallel to each other, but are at different distances from each other. In this case, there will be multiple planes that are parallel to each other and contain the skew lines.