Showing that a sequence of supremums of a sequence has these two properties

In summary, (1) and (2) state that for a decreasing sequence of real numbers bounded from below, the limit must converge to its infimum. The proof involves showing that if the sequence is not bounded from below, it cannot converge to its infimum. This is done by showing that if ##A_n## is not bounded from below, then for all real numbers ##\lambda##, there is an integer ##m## such that ##A_m<-|\lambda|##. From this, it can be shown that ##A_k## must be bounded from below, and therefore must converge to its infimum.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
Let ##\{a_n\}## be a sequence in ##\mathbb{R}##. Let ##A_k:=\sup\{a_n:n\geq k\}## and suppose that ##\{A_k\}## converges to some real number ##\lambda##. Show that:

(1) ##A_k## is a decreasing sequence
(2) ##A_k\geq \lambda## for all ##k##
===(1)===
Let ##n\in \mathbb{N}##. Express ##A_n## and ##A_{n+1}## as:

##A_n=\sup\{a_n,a_{n+1},\ldots\}##
##A_{n+1}=\sup\{a_{n+1},\ldots\}##

Suppose for some ##m\geq {n+1}##, ##a_m=A_{n+1}##. By definition, ##a_m\geq a_k## for ##k\geq {n+1}##.
If ##a_n<a_m##, then ##a_m\geq a_k## for ##k\geq n+1## and ##k=n##. Hence, ##a_m=A_n##.
Now suppose that ##a_n\geq a_m##. Then ##a_n\geq a_m \geq a_k## for ##k\geq {n+1}##. Hence, ##A_n=a_n\geq a_m = A_{n+1}##

===(2)===
Fact: A decreasing sequence of real numbers bounded from below must converge to its infimum.
We prove the second fact by proving that if ##A_k## is not bounded from below, it cannot converge to ##\lambda##.

Assume ##\{A_k\}## is not bounded from below. Then for all real numbers, particularly, ##\lambda##, there is an integer ##m## such that ##A_m<-|\lambda|##. Choose ##\epsilon=-A_m-|\lambda|## and let ##N\in \mathbb{N}##. Then whenever ##n\geq N##:

\begin{align*}
|A_n-\lambda|&\geq&|A_n|-|\lambda|\\
&\geq&-A_m-|\lambda|\\
&=&\epsilon
\end{align*}

if ##N>m##. If ##m\geq N##, choose ##n=m##:

\begin{align*}
|A_m-\lambda|&\geq&|A_m|-|\lambda|\\
&\geq&-A_m-|\lambda|\\
&=&\epsilon
\end{align*}

Hence, ##A_k## must be bounded from below. Since it is decreasing, it must converge and it converges to its infimum. It also converges to ##\lambda##. Any convergent sequence cannot converge to two different numbers, which means that ##\lambda## is the infimum.

Physics news on Phys.org
For step 1, your proof is wrong because in general ##A_n## does not have to be equal to any of the ##a_i##s. For example if ##a_i=1+1/i## for all i, then ##A_n=1## for all n.Your proof really shouldn't involve any complicated inequalities. ##A_n## is an upper bound of the set that ##A_{n+1}## is the supremum of. Why?

Office_Shredder said:
in general ##A_i## does not have to be equal to any of the ##a_i##s.

Oh, I had overlooked that possibility.

Office_Shredder said:
For example if ##a_i=1+1/i## for all i, then ##A_n=1## for all n.

Surely, you mean ##a_i=1-1/i##?

Office_Shredder said:
Why?

Because ##A_n## is an upper bound for the set containing ##a_k## for ##k\geq n+1## in addition to the set containing ##a_n##?

Try to write down a simple informal statement of why (1) and (2) hold. Once you have that, you can formalise a proof.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Surely, you mean ##a_i=1-1/i##?

I did indeed.

Because ##A_n## is an upper bound for the set containing ##a_k## for ##k\geq n+1## in addition to the set containing ##a_n##?

Yes. Since ##A_n## is an upper bound for a set which ##A_{n+1}## is the supremum, it must be at least as large as ##A_{n+1}## by definition of the supremum. That gives you part 1.

For part 2, your proof is overly complicated and starts by assuming ##A_n## is unbounded (though I don't think it's necessary for the rest of your proof). Try something simpler: if ##A_k## is decreasing, and there is some ##n## for which ##A_n < \lambda-\epsilon##, then every other ##A_k## for ##k>n## must be below ##A_n## which gives you a contradiction to the fact that ##\lambda## is the limit. You don't need to prove that it has some other limit, just that it doesn't match the statement you were given.

Likes Eclair_de_XII

1. What does it mean for a sequence to have a supremum?

A supremum, or least upper bound, of a sequence is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to every element in the sequence. In other words, it is the highest possible value that the sequence can approach without ever exceeding.

2. How do you show that a sequence has a supremum?

In order to show that a sequence has a supremum, you must first prove that the sequence is bounded above, meaning that there is a finite number that is greater than or equal to every element in the sequence. Then, you must show that this upper bound is the smallest possible value that the sequence can approach, or in other words, the supremum.

3. What are the two properties of a sequence of supremums?

The two properties of a sequence of supremums are monotonicity and closure. Monotonicity means that if the terms of the sequence are increasing, the supremums will also be increasing. Closure means that if the terms of the sequence are approaching a certain value, the supremums will also approach that same value.

4. How can you prove that a sequence of supremums has these two properties?

To prove that a sequence of supremums has the properties of monotonicity and closure, you must show that the sequence is both increasing and approaching a certain value. This can be done through mathematical proofs and using the definition of supremum.

5. Why is it important to show that a sequence of supremums has these two properties?

Showing that a sequence of supremums has the properties of monotonicity and closure is important because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the sequence. It helps us understand how the supremums are changing and approaching a certain value, which can provide valuable insights in various scientific and mathematical applications.