Significance of calculating non primes in sequence.

In summary, the conversation discussed a more efficient method of finding prime numbers by calculating and removing the non-primes from a given set. This method involves using matrices and indices instead of the numbers themselves. It eliminates the need for factoring large numbers and can be applied to any set without prior knowledge. The individual who proposed this method will be sharing more information about it in the future.
idiom
Instead of using a sieve to remove non-primes from the sequence.
6x-1 x =0 to x=n
6x+1 x=0 to x= n
What if you calculate and remove the non-primes. I have determined how to calculate the non-primes in this set. By subtracting them from the entire set you are left with all primes. I find this solution efficient because you can precisely calculate all of the semi primes and roots of the set. No factoring of large numbers is necessary. Furthermore it is not necessary to know what is in the set:
6x-1 x =0 to x=n
6x+1 x=0 to x= n
to do this.
Would an array of this nature be useful as opposed to trying to sieve or predict numbers?
Has anyone seen this done and if so where might I find more information about the effort.
If so how do you suggest I present my solution?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have done the above about 10 years ago. and I will be posting it later. For now I would say just that to get the primes up to N, you only need to consider composites up to N/3.
You start by setting matrices (6i+1)(6j+1)=M1, (6i-1)*(6j-1)=M2 and (6i+1)*(6j-1)=M3.
The nice thing about it is that you really don't need all the "multiplications" to produce the matrices' elements. The second nice thing about the whole thing is that you only need to work with indices instead of the number themselves. A number like 7*7=49 can also be represented by Index(49)=(N-1)/6=(49-1)/6=8. Once you produce the matrices of indices, you have all you need to find the primes. They will be the ones whose indices cannot be produced ( or indices which cannot be a matrix element of M1, M2 or M3 ). Then it's just a matter of sorting out a list of indices from 1,N.
I will try to find a write up and will post it later.

1. What is the significance of calculating non-primes in a sequence?

The significance of calculating non-primes in a sequence is that it can help identify patterns and relationships between numbers. It can also be used to study the distribution of prime and non-prime numbers in a given range.

2. How is the calculation of non-primes used in mathematics?

The calculation of non-primes is used in various mathematical applications, such as cryptography, number theory, and data encryption. It is also commonly used in testing algorithms and software for their efficiency and accuracy.

3. Can calculating non-primes help in solving real-world problems?

Yes, calculating non-primes can be useful in solving real-world problems, especially in the fields of computer science, engineering, and finance. It can aid in optimizing processes and identifying potential vulnerabilities in systems.

4. Is there any significance to the distribution of non-primes in a sequence?

Yes, the distribution of non-primes in a sequence can reveal interesting patterns and relationships, such as the Goldbach's conjecture and the Twin Prime conjecture. It can also be used in the study of prime numbers and their properties.

5. Are there any practical applications of calculating non-primes?

Apart from the aforementioned fields, calculating non-primes has practical applications in various industries, such as telecommunications, security, and logistics. It can also be used in data analysis and machine learning to identify outliers and anomalies in datasets.