Significance of terms of acceleration in polar coordinates

In summary: Notice how the distance between you two changes. This is related to the radial acceleration term.In summary, the components of acceleration in polar coordinates are represented by the equation a = (r¨−rθ˙^2) er + (rθ¨+ 2r˙θ˙) eθ, where er and eθ are unit vectors in the radial direction and the direction of increase of the polar angle, θ. The terms r¨ and rθ˙^2 represent the usual acceleration along the radius vector and the centrifugal force, while the terms rθ¨ and 2r˙θ˙ are related to the changing rate of spin and distance from the axis. To gain a deeper understanding of
Mind----Blown
How do i get an idea, or a 'feel' of the components of the acceleration in polar coordinates which constitute the component in the eθ direction?

from what i know, a= (r¨−rθ˙^2) er + (rθ¨+ 2r˙θ˙) eθ ;

(where er and eθ are unit vectors in the radial direction and the direction of increase of the polar angle, θ.)

The two components in er direction--- r¨ and rθ˙^2 are the usual acceleration along radius vector and the centrifugal force experienced. But what is the significance of the other two terms?. Is there any day-to-day or a common situation where we experience the Coriolis force and the other term?

I can memorize the formula and use it, but i will truly 'understand' its significance only if i can 'feel' the terms..

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Mind----Blown said:
How do i get an idea, or a 'feel' of the components of the acceleration in polar coordinates which constitute the component in the eθ direction?

from what i know, a= (r¨−rθ˙^2) er + (rθ¨+ 2r˙θ˙) eθ ;

(where er and eθ are unit vectors in the radial direction and the direction of increase of the polar angle, θ.)

The two components in er direction--- r¨ and rθ˙^2 are the usual acceleration along radius vector and the centrifugal force experienced. But what is the significance of the other two terms?. Is there any day-to-day or a common situation where we experience the Coriolis force and the other term?

I can memorize the formula and use it, but i will truly 'understand' its significance only if i can 'feel' the terms..

Thanks!

Here's what you can do, and it is a step-by-step "addition of complications":

1. Start with something you know. What does the equation looks like if you have a uniform circular motion, i.e. r=constant, and dθ/dt = constant?

2. Now, add the case where dθ/dt is not a constant, i.e. the object is still at the same radius, but the rate of it spinning around the axis is changing. What terms survive now?

3. Now what if dr/dt is not zero, but a constant? The object is now having not only a changing rate of spin, but also it is changing its distance from the axis at a constant rate. Which terms survive?

4. Finally, what if the radial acceleration is not zero, i.e. dr/dt is no longer a constant?

You start with something you know of conceptually, and then you start loosening the constraints. Each of the term that starts to survive is related to the constraints. Try it. See if this helps you to have a physical understanding of what each of those terms represents.

Zz.

Likes mastrofoffi
Mind----Blown said:
i will truly 'understand' its significance only if i can 'feel' the terms..
You and a friend or two should go to a park, get on a merry go round, and throw a ball to each other. That will certainly help you "feel" the terms in a visceral manner.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller and mastrofoffi
Dale said:
You and a friend or two should go to a park, get on a merry go round, and throw a ball to each other. That will certainly help you "feel" the terms in a visceral manner.
Also, get on the merry go round closer to the axis than he is, and walk toward your friend.

1. What is the significance of acceleration in polar coordinates?

The significance of acceleration in polar coordinates lies in its ability to describe the change in velocity of an object moving along a curved path. Unlike the Cartesian coordinate system, polar coordinates take into account the direction of motion, making it a more accurate representation of an object's movement.

2. How is acceleration calculated in polar coordinates?

Acceleration in polar coordinates is calculated using the same formula as in Cartesian coordinates, which is a = (vf - vi)/t. However, the velocity vectors in polar coordinates are expressed in terms of magnitude (speed) and direction (angle), rather than x and y components.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, acceleration and velocity are in the same direction when an object is moving in a straight line. However, when an object is moving in a curved path, the acceleration vector is perpendicular to the velocity vector, pointing towards the center of the circle.

4. Can acceleration in polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, acceleration in polar coordinates can be negative. This indicates a decrease in speed or a change in direction towards the opposite direction of the velocity vector.

5. Why is it important to use polar coordinates for curved motion?

Polar coordinates are important for curved motion because they provide a more accurate and intuitive representation of an object's movement. They also make it easier to analyze and understand the forces acting on an object, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering.