Significance test comparing slopes from linear fit

In summary: Expert summarizer In summary, the poster is asking for advice on how to compare four slopes obtained from linear fits through five data points for each fit. The expert recommends using a one-way ANOVA test, with consideration for assumptions and post-hoc tests. They believe this is the most appropriate and robust approach for the problem at hand.
iiwanovic
I would like to compare four slopes I got from linear fits through five data points for each fit. The fitting results (for the slopes) are as follows:
1: 0.08885 ± 0.00991
2: 0.08744 ± 0.0118
3: 0.10288 ± 0.00669
4: 0.0926 ± 0.01285

My hypothesis is that they are all not significantly different from each other and I would like to put that into a number. Can I run an unpaired t-test putting N=5? I guess I should loose a degree of freedom due to the linear fit. Or are there other tests better suited for this problem? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would recommend using a one-way ANOVA (analysis of variance) test to compare the four slopes you obtained from your linear fits. This test is specifically designed to compare the means of more than two groups, which is the case in your situation.

Before running the ANOVA, you should first check the assumptions of the test, such as the normality and homogeneity of variances. If these assumptions are not met, you may need to consider using a non-parametric test instead. Additionally, since you have a small sample size (N=5), you may also want to consider using a post-hoc test, such as Tukey's HSD, to determine which specific pairs of slopes are significantly different from each other.

Overall, I believe that using a one-way ANOVA would be the most appropriate and robust approach for comparing the four slopes you obtained from your linear fits. I hope this helps and best of luck with your analysis.

1. What is a significance test?

A significance test is a statistical method used to determine whether the results of a study are due to chance or if there is a significant difference between the groups being compared. It helps to determine the reliability and validity of the conclusions drawn from the data.

2. What is a linear fit?

A linear fit is a statistical method used to determine the relationship between two variables by fitting a straight line to the data points. It is commonly used to analyze trends and patterns in data.

3. Why is it important to compare slopes from linear fit?

Comparing slopes from linear fit allows us to determine if there is a significant difference in the relationship between two variables in different groups. This can help us understand if there are any underlying factors that may be affecting the relationship.

4. How is a significance test used to compare slopes from linear fit?

A significance test, such as the t-test or ANOVA, is used to determine if there is a significant difference in the slopes of the linear fits for the different groups being compared. This is done by calculating a p-value, which indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results if there was no true difference between the groups.

5. What are the limitations of using a significance test to compare slopes from linear fit?

One limitation is that significance tests can only determine if there is a statistically significant difference between the groups being compared, but it does not provide information about the magnitude or direction of the difference. Additionally, significance tests may be affected by the sample size and assumptions of the underlying data distribution.