Significant Figures and zeros

In summary: They are a "science" topic. The numebr of significant digits you show indicate how accurate a measurement is. You do not use them in calculations, you only use them to indicate whether the result of a calculation can be considered accurate. So, if I say 2.34+1.1 I get 3.44, but my "significant digits" are only 2. So my answer should be "3.4".In summary, significant figures or digits are used in science to indicate the accuracy of a measurement. The number of significant figures represents the level of precision in the measurement and can be determined by the instrument used. In the conversation above, it is explained
Leoragon
Why are zeroes following a non-zero number in the decimal area considered significant?

2.34000 <-- Like this, why are the three zeroes after the four considered significant?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Significant figures are usually needed for lab measurements.

Suppose you have a weight balance that can measure grams to 5 decimal places. The amount of decimals that your weight balance can accurately measure are all considered significant.

So if you had 2.34001g, that would be significant. But since your weight balance can measure that accurately, if the balance says 2.34000g, then all of those digits are significant because your balance can measure it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The final "0"s do not add anything to saying what the value of the number is- mathematically, 2.34= 2.340= 2.3400= 2.34000. So the only purpose the "0"s can have is to tell us the accuracy- they are "significant figures".

What do you mean tell us the accuracy? Isn't 2.34 already accurate enough?

If I'm getting this right. The extra zeroes just tells me the capabilities of the instrument.

Leoragon said:

If I'm getting this right. The extra zeroes just tells me the capabilities of the instrument.

The instrument indicates the capability (the accuracy(?)) of the measurement and resulting calculations. The significant figures stems from how well, or how precisely, a number on an instrument can be read.

I still don't get it.

Leoragon said:
I still don't get it.

A guy who reports a measurement of 2.31 leaves open the possibility that the exact value might have been 2.3104.

A guy who reports a measurement of 2.3100 does not leave that possibility open.

Here's another example.
A person steps on a scale and it shows he weighs 154 pounds. He does NOT know if he really weighs 153.98 pounds, or 153.610 pounds, or 154.2 pounds, or 154.1 pounds, or 154.43 pounds or 154.0009 pounds. This scale only reads to the nearest whole pound. The scale or dial does not indicate to the nearest fraction of a pound; the dial or scale cannot be reliably read between whole pound values and no markings are shown between whole pound values. This scale gives reading, if over 99 pound value, to THREE SIGNIFICANT FIGURES.

Leoragon said:

Well, it depends on what you are doing. 2.34 might be accurate enough. Then again, maybe not. Maybe you need 2.34000. 2.34001 would be too much and 2.33999 too little.

I think you are just confused by the fact these digits are zeros.

You feel like 2.34 and 2.3400 mean the same... OK, now is there a difference between 1.06 and 1.0614? Sure there is.

Trick is, it is exactly the same thing. 2.34 (2.3400) is a weight in pounds, 1.06 (1.0614) is a weight of the same object given in kg. It is just obvious 14 means something.

Leoragon said:
Why are zeroes following a non-zero number in the decimal area considered significant?

2.34000 <-- Like this, why are the three zeroes after the four considered significant?

Why do you want to assume that those zeros are significant? Either they are or they are not. Where is the number? From what is it taken or found? 2.34000 is more accurate than 2.34. Does that help? If we add 0.00001 to 2.34000 then we obtain 2.34001.
If we have 2.34 and add to it 0.0001, then we still have 2.34. Does that also help?

Borek said:
I think you are just confused by the fact these digits are zeros.

You feel like 2.34 and 2.3400 mean the same... OK, now is there a difference between 1.06 and 1.0614? Sure there is.

Trick is, it is exactly the same thing. 2.34 (2.3400) is a weight in pounds, 1.06 (1.0614) is a weight of the same object given in kg. It is just obvious 14 means something.

symbolipoint said:
Why do you want to assume that those zeros are significant? Either they are or they are not. Where is the number? From what is it taken or found? 2.34000 is more accurate than 2.34. Does that help? If we add 0.00001 to 2.34000 then we obtain 2.34001.
If we have 2.34 and add to it 0.0001, then we still have 2.34. Does that also help?

First guy, I just picked a random number. Not something in pounds or kilograms or anything. It's just random.

Second guy, I read in a book that the zeroes are significant. But what I keep getting is that the extra zeroes after the decimal are significant to show that those digits are indeed zero, not some other number; it removes the possibility of a different number. If that is true, then there can be an infinite number of significant numbers that are zero?

Leoragon said:
First guy, I just picked a random number. Not something in pounds or kilograms or anything. It's just random.
The "significant figures" are meaningless here. "Significant figures" are not a "math" topic, they are a "science" topic. You only use them to say how accurate a measurement (or quantity calculated from measurements are. If I say that a measurement is "3.5 m" I am saying that I am measuring to the "nearest tent meter" and the actual value could be anywhere from 3.45 m to 3.55 m. If, instead, I say "3.5000" meters, I am saying that I am measuring to the nearest tenth millimeter and the actual value could be anywhere from 3.49995 m to 3.50005 m.

Second guy, I read in a book that the zeroes are significant. But what I keep getting is that the extra zeroes after the decimal are significant to show that those digits are indeed zero, not some other number; it removes the possibility of a different number. If that is true, then there can be an infinite number of significant numbers that are zero?
No. As I said before "significant digits" have nothing to do with "numbers" per se. They only have to do with accuracy of measurements. Although I refuse to use the word "infinite", it is certainly true that there are an arbitrary number of different accuracies I could use in lengths and it is certainly possible that the distance I am measuring is smaller than the specific accuracy to which I am measuring. In that case I would say that I to "0" to the accuracy I was using.

1. What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that carry meaning or contribute to the precision of the number. They are important because they tell us how precise a measurement or calculation is and help us avoid giving a false sense of accuracy.

2. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

To determine the number of significant figures in a number, start counting from the first non-zero digit on the left and continue counting until the last digit on the right. All non-zero digits are significant, and zeros between non-zero digits are also significant. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are also significant. Leading zeros, however, are not significant.

3. How do you round a number to a specific number of significant figures?

To round a number to a specific number of significant figures, start by identifying the last significant figure in the given number. Then, look at the digit to the right of the last significant figure. If this digit is 5 or greater, round the last significant figure up by 1. If the digit is less than 5, leave the last significant figure as is. Finally, remove all digits to the right of the desired number of significant figures.

4. How do you perform calculations with significant figures?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the least number of significant figures in the calculation. For addition and subtraction, the answer should be rounded to the least number of decimal places in the numbers being added or subtracted. For multiplication and division, the answer should be rounded to the least number of significant figures in the numbers being multiplied or divided.

5. How do you handle zeros in scientific notation when determining significant figures?

In scientific notation, zeros at the end of a number are considered significant. For example, 1.200 x 10^3 has four significant figures. However, zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant. For example, 0.0005 x 10^2 has only one significant figure. Additionally, in scientific notation, the exponent does not affect the number of significant figures.