Similarities in group 14 elements

In summary, the elements lead, silicon, germanium, tin, and carbon are all in the same group of the periodic table. The properties of these elements are more pronounced for the lighter elements, and it is generally true that differences between elements of the same group are more pronounced for lighter elements.
TT0

Homework Statement

The elements lead, silicon, germanium, tin and carbon all lie in the same group of the periodic table. Which of the following is true?

1. A) Like carbon, all the elements are non-metals
  2. B) Carbon is closer in properties to silicon than tin is to lead
  3. C) Tin is closer in properties to lead than carbon is to silicon
  4. D) Like tin, all the elements are metals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about this question. I canceled out A and D because lead is a metal while carbon is a non-metal. However, I can't choose between B and C. Could someone give me some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general the differences between elements of the same group are more pronounced for the lighter elements. That's only a lousy rule of thumb though.

Likes TT0
I see thanks!

What are the group 14 elements?

The group 14 elements include carbon, silicon, germanium, tin, and lead. These elements are located in group 14 of the periodic table and are also known as the carbon group.

What are the similarities between group 14 elements?

The group 14 elements share many similarities including similar electron configurations, reactivity patterns, and physical properties. These elements also tend to form covalent bonds and have the ability to form multiple bonds with other elements.

What is the trend in atomic radius for group 14 elements?

The atomic radius generally increases as you move down the group 14 elements. This is due to the addition of a new energy level with each element, which increases the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons.

How do group 14 elements react with oxygen?

Group 14 elements tend to react with oxygen to form oxides. Carbon forms carbon dioxide (CO2), silicon forms silicon dioxide (SiO2), and tin forms tin dioxide (SnO2). These oxides are often acidic in nature.

What are the uses of group 14 elements?

The group 14 elements have a wide range of uses. Carbon is used in various forms such as graphite, diamond, and in organic compounds. Silicon is used in electronic devices and as a component in glass and ceramics. Germanium is used in semiconductors and infrared optics. Tin is used in coatings and alloys, and lead has various industrial applications.