Simple Algerbraic Manipulation is Confusing Me

In summary, simple algebraic manipulation is the process of simplifying and solving equations or expressions using basic algebraic rules and operations. It can be confusing due to the multiple steps and specific order of operations involved, as well as the need for a good understanding of basic concepts. Common mistakes include not following the correct order of operations and making errors in simplifying fractions or exponents. To improve skills, regular practice and review of basic rules and concepts is recommended, as well as seeking help from a teacher or tutor. Tips for avoiding confusion include carefully reviewing the given equation or expression, writing out each step clearly, and double-checking for mistakes.
mrlucky0
I'm working on a chemistry problem and I'm trying to follow the derivation for % ionization (of a weak acid or base) but I can't seem to understand how rearrangement of eq. 6 results in eq. 7.

In more general terms, I started with the Hendreson Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pka + log(A-/AH)

What I want to find is, A-/(AH + A-)

This is giving me a real headache, can anyone help?

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Bring the A- to the LHS of (6). Add 1 to both sides and convert the LHS to a single fraction. Invert the fractions and multiply by 100.

Thanks, I've got it now.

Related to Simple Algerbraic Manipulation is Confusing Me

What is simple algebraic manipulation?

Simple algebraic manipulation is the process of using basic algebraic rules and operations to simplify and solve equations or expressions.

Why is algebraic manipulation confusing?

Algebraic manipulation can be confusing because it involves multiple steps and rules that need to be followed in a specific order. It also requires a good understanding of basic algebraic concepts.

What are some common mistakes made during algebraic manipulation?

Common mistakes made during algebraic manipulation include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and making errors in simplifying fractions or exponents.

How can I improve my skills in algebraic manipulation?

To improve your skills in algebraic manipulation, it is important to practice regularly and review basic algebraic rules and concepts. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor for additional guidance and practice problems.

What are some tips for avoiding confusion during algebraic manipulation?

Some tips for avoiding confusion during algebraic manipulation include carefully reviewing the given equation or expression, writing out each step clearly and neatly, and double-checking your work for mistakes before moving on to the next step.