Simple showing inverse of matrix also upper triangular

In summary: I mixed it up with the lower left corner. My apologies!In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the inverse of an upper triangular matrix with non-zero determinant is also upper triangular. It is suggested to use explicit computation with the formula A^{-1} = \frac{1}{det A} \cdot ((-1)^{i+j} det A_{ij})_{j,i} where A_{ij} is the matrix obtained by crossing off the i-th row and j-th column from A. The adjugate of A is also discussed and it is clarified that the upper right corner of the adjugate is be- cd.
snrwww
I'm trying to show that A be a 3 x 3 upper triangular matrix with non-zero determinant . Show by explicit computation that A^{-1}(inverse of A) is also upper triangular. Simple showing is enough for me.

\begin{bmatrix}\color{blue}a & \color{blue}b & \color{blue}c \\0 & \color{blue}d & \color{blue}e \\ 0 & 0 &\color{blue}f\end{bmatrix}

Can someone explain and show it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can explicitly calculate the inverse as

##A^{-1} = \frac{1}{det A} \cdot (((-1)^{i+j} det A_{ij})_{i,j})^t = \frac{1}{det A} \cdot ((-1)^{i+j} det A_{ij})_{j,i}##

where ##A_{ij}## denotes the matrix you get from ##A## when you cross off the i-th row and j-th column. ##B^t## denotes the transposed matrix of a matrix B.

(compare: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_Matrix Sorry, I haven't found an the English version of it.)

The inverse of a matrix is its adjugate divided by its determinant. The "adjugate" of this matrix is
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}df & -bf & be- cf \\ 0 & af & ae \\ 0 & 0 & ad \end{array}\right|[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
The inverse of a matrix is its adjugate divided by its determinant. The "adjugate" of this matrix is
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}df & -bf & be- cf \\ 0 & af & ae \\ 0 & 0 & ad \end{array}\right|[/tex]
almost

Right- I missed a negative sign:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}df & -bf & be- cf \\ 0 & af & -ae \\ 0 & 0 & ad \end{array}\right|[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Right- I missed a negative sign:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}df & -bf & be- cf \\ 0 & af & -ae \\ 0 & 0 & ad \end{array}\right|[/tex].
I meant (1,3). It has to be ##be - cd## instead as long as I'm not totally confused. But to be honest: beside laziness that's why I shirked from it. I'd have messed it up even more and would have had to perform the control calculation.

The "upper right corner" of the adjugate is [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}b & c \\ d & e\end{array}\right |= be- cd [/tex], Yes, you are right.

1. What is the definition of a simple showing inverse of a matrix?

A simple showing inverse of a matrix is the matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is also known as the inverse matrix or the reciprocal matrix.

2. How do you find the simple showing inverse of a matrix?

The simple showing inverse of a matrix can be found by using the formula (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where det(A) is the determinant of the original matrix and adj(A) is the adjugate matrix of the original matrix.

3. What is an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix is a square matrix where all the entries below the main diagonal are zero. In other words, all the non-zero elements are located in the upper triangle of the matrix.

4. How do you determine if a matrix is upper triangular?

To determine if a matrix is upper triangular, you can check if all the entries below the main diagonal are zero. Another way is to check if the matrix is in echelon form, where all the leading coefficients are located on the main diagonal.

5. Is the simple showing inverse of an upper triangular matrix also an upper triangular matrix?

Yes, the simple showing inverse of an upper triangular matrix is also an upper triangular matrix. This is because the inverse of an upper triangular matrix maintains the same structure as the original matrix, with all the non-zero elements still located in the upper triangle.