Simple square root addition question

In summary: Thanks again.Doc Al and arildno, I apologize for the confusion. I was just trying to make an example that would be easy for me to check by hand. I didn't mean to cause any additional work. In summary, the conversation involved a question about simplifying an equation involving square roots and utilizing the trick of (A + B)² = ? to solve it. The conversation also included a second problem with unequal variables and finding a solution for "pc" by substituting and solving a quadratic equation. The final solution was found to be 498.5 approximately.
peppies
I know this must be an easy question, but I can't seem to remember how to do it:

[tex]\sqrt{z^2+R^2 - 2zR} - \sqrt{z^2+R^2 + 2zR}[/tex]

Can someone go through step by step how to solve this? This isn't a homework question but I've been running into this problem more often in multiple courses.

So far, I've gotten down to something like this but I'm not sure if this is the right track. I replaced parts of the above equation to make it simpler but I STILL can't remember how to do it:

[tex]\sqrt{C^2 - x} - \sqrt{C^2 + x}[/tex]

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Expand these expressions:
(A + B)² = ?
(A - B)² = ?

Simplify even further, and utilize the trick:
[tex]a-b=(a-b)\frac{a+b}{a+b}=\frac{a^{2}-b^{2}}{a+b}[/tex]
This type of simplification can be necessary prior to performing finite-digit arithmetic on the computation (i.e, by a computer), since otherwise, there might result a loss of significant digits when subtracting almost equally large numbers from each other.

Doc Al said:
Expand these expressions:
(A + B)² = ?
(A - B)² = ?
Oops, I forgot those two..:shy:

Doc Al, thanks for the hint! I was able to figure it out now.

I do have another similar problem in another course with unequal variables. For instance, I have to calculate the momentum of some subatomic particles and I get an equation like:

1000 =[tex]\sqrt{(pc)^2 + 875000} + \sqrt{(pc)^2 + 130000}[/tex]

How would I solve for "pc" in this case?

No easy trick here, I'm afraid. Just get rid of those square roots. Call (pc)² = x (to keep it simple) and square both sides. Then rearrange and do it again. (You'll end up with a quadratic to solve.)

Doc Al said:
No easy trick here, I'm afraid. Just get rid of those square roots. Call (pc)² = x (to keep it simple) and square both sides. Then rearrange and do it again. (You'll end up with a quadratic to solve.)
What are you doing in Maths, Doc?

Hootenanny said:
What are you doing in Maths, Doc?
I took a wrong turn somewhere... :rolleyes:

Thanks Doc Al and arildno for the quick responses.

Do you know what the solution is for "pc" in that example above? I am still in the process of trying to solve that one but my skills are a little rusty.

So if you square both sides, do you get:

[tex]1000^2 = [\sqrt{(pc)^2 + 875000} + \sqrt{(pc)^2 + 130000} ]^2[/tex]

I am having trouble in trying to simplify the right side.

Use this "trick" again: (A + B)² = ?

Super! It took awhile but at least I got this down pretty good again. I did some searching online to refresh my square root concepts and solve the rest. I solved a problem in the book that I knew the answer to, but the problem above is one that I just made up randomly so I didn't know the answer.

I got pc = 337 approximately. If you solved this, let me know if you got the same thing.

Thanks
Regards

peppies said:
but the problem above is one that I just made up randomly so I didn't know the answer.
I'm glad that this is just a made up example, since it has no real solution (only an imaginary one)! (I didn't realize that until I tried to solve it myself.)

Pick a different example to test your skills:

1000 = √[(pc)^2 + 1000] + √[(pc)^2 + 2000]

I was able to get about 498.5 roughly. Is this correct?

Actually, all I would just have to do is plug that answer back into the equation and it looks like it is correct.

Thanks for the help Doc Al

peppies said:
I was able to get about 498.5 roughly. Is this correct?
Looks good.
peppies said:
Actually, all I would just have to do is plug that answer back into the equation and it looks like it is correct.
Now you're thinking. :approve:
Thanks for the help Doc Al
You are welcome.

peppies said:
I got pc = 337 approximately. If you solved this, let me know if you got the same thing.

If I substitute pc=337 into the equation of post #5, I don't get 1000.

Try this: what value of pc gives a minimum for the right-hand-side expression? How does that value compare with the 1000 on the left-hand-side?

Redbelly98 said:
If I substitute pc=337 into the equation of post #5, I don't get 1000.
Try substituting 337i. :wink:

Doc Al said:
Try substituting 337i. :wink:

Much better. I will sleep well tonight.

Related to Simple square root addition question

What is a "Simple square root addition question"?

A "Simple square root addition question" is a mathematical problem that involves adding two or more square roots together. Square roots are the numbers that, when multiplied by themselves, result in a given number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, because 3 multiplied by 3 equals 9.

How do I solve a "Simple square root addition question"?

To solve a "Simple square root addition question", you can follow these steps:

1. Simplify each square root to its simplest form. This means finding the largest perfect square that can be divided from the number under the radical sign.
  2. Add the simplified square roots together.
  3. If there are any like terms, combine them.
  4. If there are any non-square root numbers, add them to the answer.
  5. If the answer is not a simplified square root, simplify it.

What are some examples of "Simple square root addition questions"?

Some examples of "Simple square root addition questions" include:

• √4 + √9 = √13
  • √25 + √16 = √41
  • √9 + 2√16 = √25 = 5

What is the purpose of solving "Simple square root addition questions"?

The purpose of solving "Simple square root addition questions" is to practice and improve your skills in manipulating square roots and solving mathematical problems. These types of questions are often found in math classes and standardized tests, so being able to solve them accurately and efficiently is important.

Are there any tips for solving "Simple square root addition questions" faster?

Some tips for solving "Simple square root addition questions" faster include:

• Memorizing common perfect squares, such as 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, etc., to simplify square roots quickly.
  • Breaking down larger numbers into their prime factors to simplify square roots.
  • Practicing mental math and being able to quickly add and combine numbers.