Simple Substituting and Rearranging

• MHB
  • Thread starter Caccioppoli
  • Start date
In summary, you are doing Laplace Transforms on a PDE and the approximation you used is based on a zero order approximation.
Caccioppoli
25qgphi.png

30c86t1.png

Hello,

may someone be so kind to explain how to arrive, step by step, from equation 23 to 28?

Most of all I would like to understand the approximation with delta: if I substitute eq26 in 25 I get a different result (e.g. delta^3 terms).

See the attached image.

Thank you very much.

PS
eq24 may be taken as it is, I mean, phi is simply "(A D Cs / x') - (c D Cs/2)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may find that people are going to have a hard time reading the image...can you enlarge it?

MarkFL said:
You may find that people are going to have a hard time reading the image...can you enlarge it?

Sorry, I've uploaded a bigger version of the image, split in two figures.

I can update the problem since I've done some progress.

The following equation

[tex] q=aq^3+b [/tex] [eq#1]

can be approximated with [tex] q=a^{-0.5} + \delta [/tex] [eq#2]

with [tex]\delta=-b/2 [/tex]

Where does this approximation come from and why is [tex]\delta=-b/2[/tex]?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Managed to reach the solution :D

eq.#1 is [tex]aq^3+b=q[/tex]

eq.#1 would be simpler if b=0, the zero-order approximation is

[tex]q_0=aq_0^3[/tex] so [tex]q_0=a^{-0.5}[/tex]

The next order (1st order) approximation is

[tex]q=q_0 + \delta[/tex]

It is assumed that [tex]\delta[/tex] is small in comparison to [tex]q_0[/tex] so that all the terms in [tex]\delta^2[/tex] and [tex]\delta^3[/tex] are discarded and

[tex]q^3=(q_0+\delta)^3≈q_0^3+3q_0^2\delta[/tex]

So that eq.#1 becomes

[tex]q_0+\delta=a[q_0^3+3q_0^2\delta]+b[/tex]

Recalling the zero-order approximation we have that

[tex]\delta=a[3\delta q_0^2]+b[/tex]

then

[tex]\delta=a3\delta a^{-1}+b=3\delta+b[/tex]

The solution is [tex]\delta=-b/2[/tex]

I'm just curious about the context of this problem. It looks like you're doing Laplace Transforms on a PDE (the diffusion equation?). Is that correct?

The problem is actually of diffusion.

It starts with Fick's First Law of Diffusion, an ODE (which is steady), after it uses a PSEUDO-Steady State Approximation (small t) to get an approximated expression for fluxes.

To understand more about this kind of approximation I should read the main article which is

"Rate of release of medicaments from ointment bases containing drugs in suspension - Higuchi - 1961"What I've studied till now is a generalization of an expression derived in Higuchi's article of 1961, so I don't know if he starts from a PDE, but probably he does.

1. What is the purpose of simple substituting and rearranging in scientific calculations?

The purpose of simple substituting and rearranging is to manipulate equations or expressions to solve for a specific variable or simplify the equation. This allows scientists to better understand and analyze relationships between variables in a given system.

2. How do you know when to use simple substituting and rearranging?

Simple substituting and rearranging is typically used when an equation or expression contains multiple variables and you need to solve for a specific variable. You can also use it when simplifying complex equations or expressions to make them easier to work with.

3. What are the steps to perform simple substituting and rearranging?

The first step is to identify the variable you want to solve for. Then, use algebraic rules to manipulate the equation or expression, such as adding or subtracting terms on both sides, inverting fractions, and distributing terms. Finally, rearrange the equation or expression until the desired variable is isolated on one side.

4. Can simple substituting and rearranging be used in all scientific disciplines?

Yes, simple substituting and rearranging can be used in all scientific disciplines that involve mathematical calculations. It is particularly useful in physics, chemistry, and engineering, but can also be applied in biology, economics, and other fields.

5. Are there any limitations to simple substituting and rearranging?

Simple substituting and rearranging is limited to equations or expressions that can be manipulated using algebraic rules. It cannot be used for equations involving trigonometric functions, logarithms, or other advanced mathematical concepts. It is also important to note that any changes made to an equation or expression must be done to both sides to maintain the equality.