Simplified imaginary unit to the power of imaginary unit

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect use of parentheses in a calculation involving complex numbers and exponentiation. It also delves into the issues with defining exponentiation for complex numbers and how it leads to the concept of Riemann surfaces.
Leo Authersh
Where is my simplification wrong?
Fotor_150364647772291.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do I distinguish a ##(-1)^{1/2} = -{1\over 2} ## in the first step ?

Likes Leo Authersh
BvU said:
Do I distinguish a ##(-1)^{1/2} = -{1\over 2} ## in the first step ?
I wrote it based on the general formula for real numbers that ##((a)^b)^c = a^{bc}##

That formula is (a) problematic for complex numbers and (b) doesn't lead to -1/2 even if you apply it.

Likes Leo Authersh
mfb said:
That formula is (a) problematic for complex numbers and (b) doesn't lead to -1/2 even if you apply it.
##(((64)^{1/2})^{-4})^ {1/2} = (64^{1/2})^{-4/2} = 1/64##
I wrote it on this basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you replaced ##i^i## with ##{((-1)^{(1/2)})}^{((-1)^{(1/2)})}##, you forgot the parentheses around the "i" in the exponent.

Exponentiation is not associative. ##(a^b)^c## is not, in general, equal to ##a^{(b^c)}##.

Likes Leo Authersh
jbriggs444 said:
When you replaced ##i^i## with ##{((-1)^{(1/2)})}^{((-1)^{(1/2)})}##, you forgot the parentheses around the "i" in the exponent.

Exponentiation is not associative. ##(a^b)^c## is not, in general, equal to ##a^{(b^c)}##.
Hi,

I think this will make it clearer.

IMG_20170825_160811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All of which is irrelevant because your calculation does not have that form.

Likes Leo Authersh
jbriggs444 said:

Exponentiation is not associative.
jbriggs444 said:
All of which is irrelevant because your calculation does not have that form.

And that is my question. Why the general formula becomes irrelevant when 4096 is replaced with -1.

Leo Authersh said:
And that is my question. Why the general formula becomes irrelevant when 4096 is replaced with -1.
You misunderstand. It's not the -1 that's the problem. It's the parentheses.

Edit:
##{(a^b)}^c## is equal to ##a^{(bc)}##

But obviously,

##a^{(b^c)}## is not equal to ##a^{(bc)}## [unless ##b^c## just happens to equal ##b \times c## or a just happens to be equal to 1]

Likes Leo Authersh
jbriggs444 said:
You misunderstand. It's not the -1 that's the problem. It's the parentheses.

Edit:
##{(a^b)}^c## is equal to ##a^{(bc)}##

But obviously,

##a^{(b^c)}## is not equal to ##a^{(bc)}## [unless ##b^c## just happens to equal ##b \times c## or a just happens to be equal to 1]
Thank you. Now I understood why exponentials are not left associative. But since apparently they are all right associative, I'm confused because my simplification gives me the deception of being right associative.

Where do you see something of the type of ##(a^b)^c## in ##(-1)^{1/2}##? What would a,b, and c be?

Likes Leo Authersh
Leo Authersh said:
Thank you. Now I understood why exponentials are not left associative. But since apparently they are all right associative, I'm confused because my simplification gives me the deception of being right associative.
Personally, I can never remember whether a tower of exponents is supposed to be evaluated from left to right or from right to left. I'm pretty sure that I've seen it both ways over the years. But it does not matter. If you are the one writing down the formula, you can use parentheses to be absolutely sure that it evaluates the way you want it to.

So let's step through it slowly.

Start with $$i^i$$
Replace each i with ##({(-1)}^{(1/2)})##. The parentheses are there to ensure proper evaluation order. $${({(-1)}^{(1/2)})}^{({(-1)}^{(1/2)})}$$
Now look at that expression and try to find something with the form of ##{(a^b)}^c##. You originally thought you had something with:
a=##{({(-1)}^{(1/2)})}##
b=##(-1)##
c=##(1/2)##
But the parentheses mess that up. It's not of the right form.

Likes Leo Authersh
mfb said:
Where do you see something of the type of ##(a^b)^c## in ##(-1)^{1/2}##? What would a,b, and c be?
Now, I have understood. Thank you for your answers.

Messing around with complex numbers - let's see: [itex] i=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex], so [itex]i^{i}=(e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}})^{i}=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}\cdot i}=e^{i \cdot i\frac{\pi}{2}}=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}} [/itex].

Likes Leo Authersh and FactChecker
Svein said:
Messing around with complex numbers - let's see: [itex] i=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex], so [itex]i^{i}=(e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}})^{i}=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}\cdot i}=e^{i \cdot i\frac{\pi}{2}}=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}} [/itex].
Conclusion -- When dealing with complex exponents, consider the complex exponential function.

Likes Leo Authersh
Svein said:

It's a little bit tricker than this: ##i=e^{\frac{5\pi}{2}i}## is also true and, following your steps, ##i^i=(e^{\frac{5\pi}{2}i})^i=e^{-\frac{5\pi}{2}}##. The issue is that it's hard to define exponentiation for complex numbers. We want to say ##z^w=\exp(w\log(z))## (for ##z\neq 0## of course), but how to define the complex logarithm? For ##z=re^{i\theta}##, we can't have ##\log(z)=\log(r)+i\theta## since ##\theta## is only defined up to a multiple of ##2\pi##, unless we restrict our allowed ##\theta##, say to be in ##[0,2\pi)##. But this makes ##\log## discontinuous and causes exponent rules to fail, as seen above.

Alternatively, you can just give up on ##\log## being a function, and instead have it be defined only up to multiples of ##2\pi i##. But then our exponential ##z^w=\exp(w\log(z))## becomes defined only up to factors of ##\exp(2\pi iw)##. With ##w=i##, we get back to the original problem.

This sort of problem leads to the theory of Riemann surfaces.

Last edited:
Likes BvU, Leo Authersh, mfb and 1 other person
Infrared said:
It's a little bit tricker than this: ##i=e^{\frac{5\pi}{2}i}## is also true and, following your steps, ##i^i=(e^{\frac{5\pi}{2}i})^i=e^{-\frac{5\pi}{2}}##. The issue is that it's hard to define exponentiation for complex numbers. We want to say ##z^w=\exp(w\log(z))## (for ##z\neq 0## of course), but how to define the complex logarithm? For ##z=re^{i\theta}##, we can't have ##\log(z)=\log(r)+i\theta## since ##\theta## is only defined up to a multiple of ##2\pi##, unless we restrict our allowed ##\theta##, say to be in ##[0,2\pi)##. But this makes ##\log## discontinuous and causes exponent rules to fail, as seen above.

Alternatively, you can just give up on ##\log## being a function, and instead have it be defined only up to multiples of ##2\pi i##. But then our exponential ##z^w=\exp(w\log(z))## becomes defined only up to factors of ##\exp(2\pi iw)##. With ##w=i##, we get back to the original problem.

Good point. It's true that you need to define a branch of the logarithm. The principle branch being the most standard. So there are more than one answer to the question. But the answer given is definitely one possible answer.

Likes Leo Authersh
Infrared said:

Yes, of course. But I just wanted to show that a purely imaginary exponent of a purely imaginary number has a real value. What you have done is to show that it has several real values, which is true for a rather large class of complex functions.

Likes Leo Authersh

1. What is a simplified imaginary unit to the power of imaginary unit?

A simplified imaginary unit to the power of imaginary unit is a mathematical expression of the form i^i, where i represents the imaginary unit (√-1). It is a complex number that has both a real and imaginary component.

2. How do you simplify an imaginary unit to the power of imaginary unit?

To simplify i^i, we can use Euler's formula, e^(iπ/2), which converts the imaginary unit to a complex exponential. This can then be simplified further using logarithms to get a real number answer.

3. What is the value of i to the power of i?

The value of i^i is approximately equal to 0.2079. This is the simplified form of the complex exponential e^(iπ/2).

4. Can an imaginary unit be raised to an imaginary power?

Yes, an imaginary unit can be raised to an imaginary power. This results in a complex number with both real and imaginary components.

5. What are the applications of simplified imaginary unit to the power of imaginary unit?

Simplified imaginary unit to the power of imaginary unit has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in solving differential equations, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding quantum mechanics.