Simplify tensor product statement

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for showing that ##(Z \otimes Y)^{\dagger} = Z \otimes Y## by using the properties of the tensor product and the properties of quantum gates. One approach is to use the fact that ##Z^{\dagger} \otimes Y^{\dagger} = Z \otimes Y## because ##Z^{\dagger} = Z## and ##Y^{\dagger} = Y## are self-adjoint. Another approach is to use tensor indexing notation and apply the rules. The conversation also suggests searching for a proof to see how others have done it.
Albert01
Hi,

if I wanted to show ##(Z \otimes Y)^{\dagger} = Z \otimes Y##, then I could simply multiply out the matrices belonging to the operators of quantum gates ##Z## and ##Y##.

But my question is whether this is also solvable via the properties of the tensor product and the properties of the gates.

My approach would be the following:

##(Z \otimes Y)^{\dagger} = Z^{\dagger} \otimes Y^{\dagger}##

holds because this is a property of the tensor product. Continue with

##Z^{\dagger} \otimes Y^{\dagger} = Z \otimes Y##

which holds because ##Z^{\dagger} = Z## and ##Y^{\dagger} = Y## are self-adjoint.

My question, is it possible to do it this way now or did I miss something?

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems reasonable although is the product reversed to be Y x Z?

Another approach would be to use Tensor indexing notation and apply the rules. That way you can see the details of what you have.

Have you searched for a proof to see how others have done it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitian_matrix

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is represented by the symbol ⊗ and is often used in physics and engineering to describe the relationships between different physical quantities.

2. Why is it important to simplify tensor product statements?

Simplifying tensor product statements makes it easier to understand and manipulate complex mathematical expressions involving vector spaces. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different tensors.

3. How do you simplify a tensor product statement?

To simplify a tensor product statement, you can use various mathematical properties and rules, such as the distributive property and the associativity of tensor products. It is also helpful to rewrite tensors in terms of their components or basis vectors.

4. Can you give an example of simplifying a tensor product statement?

Sure, let's say we have the tensor product (a ⊗ b) ⊗ c. Using the associativity property, we can rewrite this as a ⊗ (b ⊗ c). Then, using the distributive property, we can simplify it further to (a ⊗ b) ⊗ c = a ⊗ (b ⊗ c) = (a ⊗ b ⊗ c). This shows that the order in which the tensors are multiplied does not affect the final result.

5. What are some applications of tensor products in science?

Tensor products are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to describe physical quantities, such as forces and moments, in a concise and elegant manner. They are also used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a system and in machine learning to model complex relationships between data points.