Simplifying a nested radical that includes a complex number

In summary, Bombelli found three real solutions to the resolvent cubic using trigonometric methods before the discovery of the casus irrecidulus.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
Simplifying nested radical that has a complex number under it.
Dear Everyone,

This post is not a homework assignment...
I want to use the quartic formula. In one step is to solve the resolvent cubic. I know that there is 3 real solutions this particular resolvent cubic. I want to know how Bombelli got his answers before the discovery of the trigonometric method for the casus irrecidulus.
I have this radical ##\sqrt[3]{\frac{24128}{27}-\frac{2520i\sqrt{3}}{27}}##. I know that if the radicand is a perfect cube, then I can cancel the cube root with the cube. So ##(a-bi\sqrt{3})^3= \frac{24128}{27}-\frac{2520i\sqrt{3}}{27}##. We can equate the Real part of both ##(a-bi\sqrt{3})^3## and the ##\frac{24128}{27}-\frac{2520i\sqrt{3}}{27}## and the imagery part of both ##(a-bi\sqrt{3})^3## and the ##\frac{24128}{27}-\frac{2520i\sqrt{3}}{27}##. To yield this system of polynomial equations: $$
\begin{align*}
a^3-9ab^2 &= \frac{24128}{27} \\
3b^3-3a^2b &= \frac{2520}{27} \\
\end{align*}$$

We know that ##a,b\not=0##.I am having a hard time solving this system by hand. Is there any tips on solving a system of polynomials?

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you introduce c=b/a your first equation will contain a3 and a3 c2 while the second equation contains a3 c3 and a3 c. Divide both equations by each other and you get an expression that only depends on c. Unfortunately it's a cubic equation again, and I don't know if its solutions are nice.

Likes cbarker1 and jedishrfu
mfb said:
If you introduce c=b/a your first equation will contain a3 and a3 c2 while the second equation contains a3 c3 and a3 c. Divide both equations by each other and you get an expression that only depends on c. Unfortunately it's a cubic equation again, and I don't know if its solutions are nice.
I looked the solution on wolframalpha where I will type the solution form as ##(a,b)##. ##(-\frac{16}{3},\frac{14}{3})##, ##(\frac{29}{3},\frac{1}{3})##, and ##(\frac{-13}{3},-5)##. It has nice solutions...

Likes mfb
Factoring it actually looks nice, you get ##a(a-3b)(a+3b)## and (after dividing by 3) ##b(b-a)(b+a)##.

I don't really know where to go from there.

Likes cbarker1
note: I did this by hand, and I have a sign difference with the wolframalpha solution, but I think the observation is correct
I factored out 2/3 at the beginning giving
##3016c^3+945c^2-3016c-105 = 0##
If you look at the factors of 3016 (f) and -105 (g), you can by guesswork find a solution of the form
##(f_1c-g_1)(f_2c-g_2)(f_3c-g_3)##
which works because there are rational solutions of 7/8, -1/29 and -15/13

Last edited:
In general, taking cube roots of complex numbers looks like this:

##(a + bi)^3 = c + di##

With the benefit of hindsight, we can redefine:

##R = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}##
##x = a/R##

##S = \sqrt{c^2 + d^2}##
##y = c/S##

So the problem becomes to find ##R## and ##x## in terms of ##S## and ##y##.

The first part is easy: ##R = S^{1/4}##

Then the equation for ##x## becomes

##(x +i \sqrt{1-x^2})^3 = y +i\sqrt{1-y^2}##

Cubing the left sude and taking just the real part gives:

##x^3 - 3x(1-x^2)= y##
or
##4x^3 -3x = y##

So this reduces the problem to solving a real cubic equation. Not sure that’s an improvement...

What is a nested radical that includes a complex number?

A nested radical is an expression that contains a radical within another radical. A complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component, typically written in the form a + bi.

Why is it important to simplify a nested radical that includes a complex number?

Simplifying a nested radical with a complex number can make the expression easier to work with and can help reveal patterns or relationships in the numbers involved. It can also make it easier to compare and solve equations involving nested radicals.

What is the general process for simplifying a nested radical with a complex number?

The general process for simplifying a nested radical with a complex number involves rewriting the expression in a form where the inner radical can be eliminated, and then simplifying the remaining expression. This typically involves using the properties of radicals and complex numbers.

Can all nested radicals with complex numbers be simplified?

No, some nested radicals with complex numbers cannot be simplified further. For example, if the complex number is already in its simplest form, or if the expression involves irrational numbers that cannot be simplified.

Are there any tips or tricks for simplifying nested radicals with complex numbers?

Some tips for simplifying nested radicals with complex numbers include factoring the complex number, rewriting the expression in terms of its conjugate, and using the properties of radicals and complex numbers to simplify the expression. It may also be helpful to practice and become familiar with common patterns and techniques for simplifying these types of expressions.