Simplifying integral of Gauss' hypergeometric function

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a specific integral using Mathematica numerically and exploring the possibility of finding a closed form for the integral in the Table of Integrals. The integral involves the Gauss Hypergeometric function and has constants a1, a2, a3, a4, and a5. The person is asking for help in finding a closed form or a more efficient way to evaluate the integral numerically. The conversation also discusses the precision needed for the numerical evaluation and the coefficients of the hypergeometric series.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I have this integral, and currently I'm evaluating it using Mathematica numerically, which takes time to be evaluated. Can I write it in a way that the integral has a formula in the Table of Integrals?

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} F\left(a_1,a_2;a_3;a_4-a_5x\right) e^{-x}\,dx[/tex]

where ##\{a_i\}_{i=1}^5## are constants, and ##F(.,.;.;) = _2F_1(.,.;.;.)## is the Gauss Hypergeometric function.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The last term in my formula is ##a_4-a_5t## not ##-t##! I tried change of variables, but the limits of integral will change, and there is no integral formula for it.

It might save some time to use this analytic result and integrate the rest (from the changed limits) numerically, as the function does not change that much in this smaller range.

If the help page only gives a result for the integral from 0 to infinity, then I guess a closed form for arbitrary limits does not exist.

Likes EngWiPy
S_David said:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} F\left(a_1,a_2;a_3;a_4-a_5x\right) e^{-x}\,dx[/tex]

Are the coefficients of your hypergeometric series decreasing rapidly ?
##A_n = \frac{ (a_1)_n (a_2)_n} {(a_3)_n n!} ##

How many terms of the series ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty (\int_0^\infty A_k (a_4 - a_5 x)^k e^{-x} dx ) ## would we have to evaluate to get the precision you need ?

Stephen Tashi said:
Are the coefficients of your hypergeometric series decreasing rapidly ?
##A_n = \frac{ (a_1)_n (a_2)_n} {(a_3)_n n!} ##

How many terms of the series ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty (\int_0^\infty A_k (a_4 - a_5 x)^k e^{-x} dx ) ## would we have to evaluate to get the precision you need ?

I have ##a_1=2##, ##a_2=1##, and ##a_3=3##, while ##a_4## changes in a loop. ##a_5## is also constant, but set at the beginning of the simulation.

S_David said:
I have ##a_1=2##, ##a_2=1##, and ##a_3=3##, while ##a_4## changes in a loop. ##a_5## is also constant, but set at the beginning of the simulation.

Then let's have you or some other forum member post some examples of the numerical values of ##A_n##. As for me, tonight I'm busy trying to figure out how to use FreeCad.

What is Gauss' hypergeometric function?

Gauss' hypergeometric function is a mathematical function that is used to solve various types of integrals and differential equations. It is written as F(a,b;c;z) and has many applications in physics, statistics, and engineering.

What does it mean to "simplify" the integral of Gauss' hypergeometric function?

Simplifying the integral of Gauss' hypergeometric function means finding a simpler expression for the integral, often in terms of elementary functions or constants. This can make the evaluation of the integral easier and more efficient.

What are the main techniques for simplifying the integral of Gauss' hypergeometric function?

The main techniques for simplifying the integral of Gauss' hypergeometric function include using properties of the function, such as the addition formula, transformation formula, and duplication formula. Other techniques involve using contour integration, series expansions, and special values of the function.

What are some common applications of Gauss' hypergeometric function?

Gauss' hypergeometric function has many applications in mathematics and science. It is used to solve problems in areas such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and number theory. It is also used in the calculation of special functions, such as the Bessel function and the gamma function.

Are there any special cases of Gauss' hypergeometric function that are easier to simplify?

Yes, there are certain special cases of Gauss' hypergeometric function that have simpler forms and are easier to simplify. These include the cases where the parameters a, b, and c are integers, half-integers, or related by certain relationships, such as c = a + b. In these cases, the integral can often be expressed in terms of well-known functions, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions.