Simplying a problem with decimals and exponents

• Thread starter Anna Blanksch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, Anna is trying to nitpick nerds who are trying to help her with her homework. She is close, but not right on with her answer.
Anna Blanksch
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement

(2.5 x 10^24)(4.5 x 10^-9) / (3 x 10^4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that when multiplying base ten numbers with exponents you add the exponents (ie: 10^2 x 10^3 = 10^5) ad that when dividing, the exponents are subtracted. I'm not sure what my first step would be towards simplifying this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anna Blanksch said:
1. Homework Statement

(2.5 x 10^24)(4.5 x 10^-9) / (3 x 10^4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that when multiplying base ten numbers with exponents you add the exponents (ie: 10^2 x 10^3 = 10^5) ad that when dividing, the exponents are subtracted. I'm not sure what my first step would be towards simplifying this equation.

Split it into ((2.5 x 4.5)/3) x ((10^24 x 10^(-9))/10^4). Use your exponent rules on the second factor and a calculator on the first factor.

Likes Anna Blanksch
Great! Thanks for your help. Is there a rule/title for the process of converting from the original problem to the way that you split it (separating the base ten numbers)? Also, am I calling those the right thing? Base ten numbers? Should they be called, "base ten exponents"? The answer I got is 3.75 x 10^11. Close? Right on? Thanks again so much for your quick reply!

Anna Blanksch said:
Great! Thanks for your help. Is there a rule/title for the process of converting from the original problem to the way that you split it (separating the base ten numbers)? Also, am I calling those the right thing? Base ten numbers? Should they be called, "base ten exponents"? The answer I got is 3.75 x 10^11. Close? Right on? Thanks again so much for your quick reply!

Right on. I call them "powers of ten", and I don't think it has a name. It's just separating the powers of ten from the other numbers.

Likes Anna Blanksch
Anna Blanksch said:
Is there a rule/title for the process of converting from the original problem to the way that you split it (separating the base ten numbers)?

What you are seeing is an application of the associative property in multiplication:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_property

You can use this property to group strings of numbers being multiplied together into more convenient arrangements.

For example:

(2 * 3) * 4 = 2 * (3 * 4) or
(2 * 103) * (4 * 102) = (2 * 4) * (103 * 102) = 8 * 105

Poor Anna, in the middle of nitpicking nerds !

I can't resist to point at the sentence "Associativity is not to be confused with commutativity, which addresses whether a × b = b × a." in his majesty's link. However, you need it to get from where you were to where you want to be.

If you go on in maths or physics this kind of attention to detail is essential; for the rest of the world it's just a good idea :)

It's learning the simple things which seems to be overlooked nowadays. Everybody wants to split the atom; nobody wants to learn to use a hammer.

1. How do I simplify a problem with decimals and exponents?

Simplifying a problem with decimals and exponents involves understanding the basic rules of exponents and decimal operations. You can use the rules for multiplying and dividing decimals to simplify the decimal part of the problem, and then apply the rules for exponents to simplify the exponent part.

2. What are the basic rules for exponents?

The basic rules for exponents include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and negative exponent rule. The product rule states that when multiplying two numbers with the same base, you can add the exponents. The quotient rule states that when dividing two numbers with the same base, you can subtract the exponents. The power rule states that when raising a number to a power, you can multiply the exponents. The negative exponent rule states that a negative exponent can be rewritten as the reciprocal of the number with a positive exponent.

3. How do I simplify a decimal number?

To simplify a decimal number, you can use the basic rules for multiplying and dividing decimals. When multiplying, count the total number of decimal places in both numbers and place the decimal point in the product that many places from the right. When dividing, move the decimal point in the divisor to the right until it becomes a whole number, and then move the decimal point in the dividend the same number of places. You can also use mental math strategies, such as rounding, to simplify a decimal number.

4. Can I use a calculator to simplify a problem with decimals and exponents?

Yes, you can use a calculator to simplify a problem with decimals and exponents. However, it is important to understand the basic rules for exponents and decimal operations in order to verify the accuracy of the calculator's answer. Additionally, some calculators may have a specific button or function for simplifying exponents and decimals, so it is important to check the user manual for instructions.

5. Are there any common mistakes when simplifying problems with decimals and exponents?

Yes, there are some common mistakes that people make when simplifying problems with decimals and exponents. These include forgetting to apply the order of operations, using the wrong rule for exponents, and making errors when multiplying or dividing decimals. It is important to double check your work and use mental math strategies to estimate the answer before using a calculator to ensure accuracy.