Simulating a 2-Phase Water System: Tips and Resources for Dynamic Simulation

• I
  • Thread starter sandvoxel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
sandvoxel
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to dynamically simulate the the internals of a boiler. I have been looking around at different resources but could not find what Im looking for.
I am currently trying to simulate a boiler using the IAPWS-IF97 model of water states. I have looked into the equations but I always seem to run into a condition where I need 2 states at once that depend on one another. I was wondering if anyone had some good learning resources on simulating a 2 phase water system. I have looked at steam tables but would just like some more info about how to simulate it dynamically and not just steady state(even though I am having trouble with that too).

Im a bit new to the thermo world sorry if my question is worded poorly

There is this paper that dose what I want to do but its quite old and it seems to leave out the actual sim of the water and abstracts that away
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/docum...&doi=64e2c22c21e1ab6b2d3f7653121f0c21e07c4fc5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Hello @sandvoxel ,
:welcome: ##\qquad##!​

That's a rather tall order! Thousands of folks have been doing that kind of thing for hundreds of years :smile: .
I sympathize that it's not easy to get started, but it is hard to give specific tips for someone you don't know. General advice: start simple, find a few textbooks you like, postpone research papers.
You mention a 323 page PhD thesis; do you want us to read it in order to deal with a rather unspecific comment on dealing with the physical properties?

##\ ##

Likes DrClaude
Let's see your formulation of the problem based on the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics. Are you looking at dynamic operation to describe the startup of the boiler, or is the flow rate changing with time? Please provide a sketch of your system so that we can at least see some of the geometry and temperatures. Also, please supply your analysis of the steady state operation using the steam tables.

Likes vanhees71, Lord Jestocost and BvU
Chestermiller said:
Let's see your formulation of the problem based on the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics. Are you looking at dynamic operation to describe the startup of the boiler, or is the flow rate changing with time? Please provide a sketch of your system so that we can at least see some of the geometry and temperatures. Also, please supply your analysis of the steady state operation using the steam tables.
Ok sorry for the long response time but I took some time to do some research and teach myself with some online resources so here is a better description of the problem. The application of the problem is for a game so the load on the system will vary over time as well has the heat input. There will evenly be turbines, pumps generators, and condensers but I want to start with the boiler as it seems to be a sufficiently complex problem to start on before I go into the full cycle. Im hoping to eventually make it modular so I can add things to the loop without having to worry to much about the rest of the system.

A insulated tank with valve open and it has a mass flow rate of 0.001 kg/s. The tank is 150L with a total mass of water of 91.701 Kg and 0.1273 kg of steam at a temperature 150C and a pressure of 0.4761 Mpa. The only mass leaving the system is saturated vapor.

With this problem how would you find the state of the system after 1 second.

I still need to do some more research on my I just don't have enough committed to memory yet to piece together my own equations. Eventually I need to be able to add energy to the system as well as new feed water but i'm simplifying my problem for now to help with understanding.

OK. So you have a mixture of saturated liquid water and saturated water vapor in the tank at 150 C. The molar volume of the liquid is 0.001091 m^3/kg and the molar volume of the vapor is 0.393 m^3/kg. Let x be the mass fraction vapor in the tank. Then $$91.701(1-x)(0.001091)+91.701x(0.393)=0.15$$This says that the volume of the tank in terms of the volumes of liquid and vapor is 0.15 m^3. What do you get for x, the mass fraction of vapor? What is the volume of liquid in the tank, and what is the volume of water vapor?

1. How can I simulate a 2-phase water system?

To simulate a 2-phase water system, you will need to use specialized software that can handle dynamic simulation of multiphase flow. This software will allow you to input the necessary parameters such as flow rates, pressures, temperatures, and properties of the water phases. You will also need to define the boundary conditions and initial conditions for the system.

2. What are some tips for simulating a 2-phase water system?

Some tips for simulating a 2-phase water system include ensuring that you have accurate and up-to-date data on the properties of the water phases, setting realistic boundary conditions, and running sensitivity analyses to understand the impact of different parameters on the system behavior. It is also important to validate your simulation results with experimental data whenever possible.

3. What resources are available for simulating a 2-phase water system?

There are several resources available for simulating a 2-phase water system, including software packages specifically designed for multiphase flow simulation, online forums and communities where you can ask questions and share experiences with other researchers, and academic papers and textbooks that cover the theory and practice of multiphase flow simulation.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my simulation results?

To ensure the accuracy of your simulation results, it is important to carefully validate your model against experimental data whenever possible. You can also run sensitivity analyses to understand the impact of different parameters on the system behavior and compare your results with those of other researchers in the field. It is also important to use high-quality data for the properties of the water phases and to carefully define your boundary conditions.

5. What are some common challenges in simulating a 2-phase water system?

Some common challenges in simulating a 2-phase water system include accurately modeling the phase transitions between liquid and vapor phases, accounting for non-ideal behavior such as pressure drops and heat transfer, and dealing with complex geometries and boundary conditions. It is also important to consider the computational cost of running simulations and to optimize your model for efficiency.