Single minded Foucault pendulum

In summary, the bottom driven pendulum has a preference for swinging E/W and stalls when it reaches an east/west swing. The drive is a coil in the center of the pendulum base with a hall effect proximity sensor in the center. The coil is controlled be a timing circuit. The bob has a mild steel disk in the bottom. As the bob passes over the sensor the coil is depowered and remains off until the bob approaches again. The delay time can be adjusted to give the bob just the right pull to control the swing radius. It would appear that your pendulum has some damping in the NS direction and not in the EW.
Gashmore
I have completed a bottom driven pendulum that seems to have a preference to swing E/W. It is a 10kg bob on a 6M wire. The pivot is a tungsten carbide pin resting on a watch jewel. No matter how I start it it precesses at exactly the correct rate for 32 degrees latitude then stalls when it reaches an east/west swing. Thinking there might be some asymmetry in the drive coil's field I rotated the base but got the same result. I then tried rotating the pivot but no change. I fine tuned the charron ring and even tried without it entirely but it still settles E/W. I have also checked the area for magnets and power cables just in case. I am out of ideas! BTW it is almost exactly true E/W.

lt is a beautiful thing for the 4 or 5 hours that it works but then becomes more compass than Foucault pendulum.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by bottom driven, exactly?

The drive is a coil in the center of the pendulum base with a hall effect proximity sensor in the center. The coil is controlled be a timing circuit. The bob has a mild steel disk in the bottom. As the bob passes over the sensor the coil is depowered and remains off until the bob approaches again. The delay time can be adjusted to give the bob just the right pull to control the swing radius.

It would appear that your pendulum has some damping in the NS direction and not in the EW. Is the base on which the whole contraption sits rigid in both directions. A micromovement would not be noticable to you.
Perhaps the floor is more rigid in one direction than the other due to configuration of the joists, or some other factor. I would test it out in another location. If all else is OK, with the pivot and electronics being OK, that is all I can think of at the moment.

The only place where there would be soley EW continious movement would be at the equator if the bob had been initially released in the EW sense. The pendulum motion would be planar, and without the elliptic movement there would be no restoring gravitational force perpendicular to the major axis of an ellipse.

The floor is a concrete slab and the pivot is bolted to the ridge beam of a cathedral ceiling. Not many places I can get 6 or 7 meters vertical but I will try moving it further out into the room. You also made me think to check that the base is exactly level. I will report back after trying those ideas.

This is a lovely experiment.
Have you looked around the floor with a magnetic compass for irregularities? Is there a steel frame under the concrete?
How is the arrangement suspended at the top (how rigidly)? Could you measure the strain (lateral) on the mounting with a gauge?
(Basically 256bit's comments)
I can't picture the top mounting; is it like a gimbal? Can it rotate around a vertical axis? The images I ca find on Google are a bit fuzzy.

The slab is on grade so nothing more than some reinforcement mesh in the concrete and the pivot is bolted to a pair of large wood beams. The pivot arrangement might be the problem however. I had not considered this before because all of the arrangements I had found constrained pendulum rotation. My arrangement allows about 90 degrees of rotation. Here is a basic question: Would a Foucault bob unconstrained in rotation tend to rotate in synch with the plane of the swing? If so, that may be my problem. As the pendulum reaches the limit of rotation a negative bias may be gettin introduced. If rotation were not allowed the restraining force would be equal in all directions.

This, I believe, is basically an explanation of your pendulum, with some description of the reasoning behind the charron ring and magnetic drive.
http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/foucault/F14.html

That is the basic layout. I originally used a fixed collet at the top but had trouble with wire fatigue so I suspended the collet below a pin and jewel pivot. I will have to find a way to post some pictures.

Gashmore said:
That is the basic layout. I originally used a fixed collet at the top but had trouble with wire fatigue so I suspended the collet below a pin and jewel pivot. I will have to find a way to post some pictures.

Not surprising, I suppose when all the bending is right up against the collet.
My experience of Foucault is limited to the 'big ones' - as in the Pantheon in Paris. A stunning demo with such a massive amplitude swing over the ground. Fewer problems of stress when the wire is so long and the angle is so small, I guess. I'd bet the first people to see it working were convinced there was a trick involved!

Gashmore, welcome to PF!

Does east-west happen to coincide with the orientation of the ceiling beam? Or 90 degrees to the beam? I admit that I don't know if the pendulum should tend to align itself one way or the other w.r.t. the beam, I am just wondering if some slight motion of that beam could somehow affect the pendulum motion over time.

Gashmore said:
I will have to find a way to post some pictures.
People often post them to a free website like photobucket.com, then include the image URL within "image tags" when posting here. The process is explained in this post; search for adding images on that page and follow the instructions, which refer to a figure farther up in the post.

FYI, clicking the "Go Advanced" button, when composing a post, will bring up a lot of enhanced editing features. There is an "Attach Files" option, which you might find useful as well.

Good luck on solving this mystery! :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a single minded Foucault pendulum?

A single minded Foucault pendulum is a type of pendulum that was first developed by the French physicist Léon Foucault in 1851. It consists of a long pendulum attached to a pivot point, which allows it to swing freely in any direction. The movement of the pendulum is used to demonstrate the Earth's rotation.

2. How does a single minded Foucault pendulum work?

The single minded Foucault pendulum works by utilizing the Coriolis effect, which causes moving objects on the Earth's surface to appear to curve due to the rotation of the Earth. As the pendulum swings, the Earth rotates underneath it, causing the plane of its swing to rotate gradually over time. This rotation can be observed on a circular path marked on the ground beneath the pendulum.

3. Can a single minded Foucault pendulum be used to determine one's location on Earth?

No, a single minded Foucault pendulum cannot be used to determine one's location on Earth. It is only able to demonstrate the Earth's rotation and does not provide any information about a specific location.

4. Is a single minded Foucault pendulum affected by factors such as latitude and altitude?

Yes, a single minded Foucault pendulum is affected by factors such as latitude and altitude. The Coriolis effect is stronger at higher latitudes and weaker at the equator, causing the pendulum to rotate at different rates depending on its location. The altitude of the pendulum also affects its rotation, with higher altitudes resulting in slower rotation.

5. How is a single minded Foucault pendulum different from a regular pendulum?

A single minded Foucault pendulum is different from a regular pendulum in that it is able to demonstrate the Earth's rotation, while a regular pendulum only swings back and forth in a fixed plane. Additionally, the single minded Foucault pendulum is typically much larger and requires a special pivot point that allows it to swing freely in any direction, whereas a regular pendulum can be hung from a fixed point.