Sizing fan static pressure to open a cover

In summary, A fan is needed that can open a metal cover an angle of 15° at the end of the duct (20m in length with few 90 degree bends). The fan will require a force of 4 kg * Sin( 15° ) * 9.80665 m.s-2 Newton acting at the centre. The pressure will need to be 10.15 / 0.159 = 63.8354 Pa. A balanced door is not suitable for this case as the hinge axis is not vertical. I am thinking of using a counterweight on the cover to save energy.
longz
Hi all great PF members,

Can anyone help me to sizing fan static pressure strong enough to open a metal cover an angle 15 degree at the end of the duct (20m in length with few 90 degree bends), I'm really not good at math so any help are greatly appreciated. Please refer to sketch attached for clear view.

Sorry for weak English.

upload_2016-12-29_14-54-35.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
You specify the air flow rate, the mass and the angle of door. That over constrains the solution.
Maybe you could approach it this way.
The 4kg cover hanging at 15° will need a force of 4 kg * Sin( 15° ) * 9.80665 m.s-2 Newton acting at the centre.
4 * Sin( 15° ) * 9.80665 = 10.15 N
The 450 mm diameter flow has an area of 0.159 square metres.
The pressure will therefore need to be 10.15 / 0.159 = 63.8354 Pa
The dynamic pressure of a flow is Pa = ½ * density * v2 pascal
The density of standard air is 1.225 kg/m3
Therefore v2 = Pa * 2 / density = 104.2
Therefore v = 10.2 m/sec
The cross section of the duct is 0.159 m2
Which requires a flow of 10.2 * 0.159 = 1.623 m3/sec = 1623. litre/sec.

But you only specify a flow of 40 litre/sec.

Likes longz
Could you use a balanced door so that only a small force would be needed to open it ?

Likes longz
Hi Baluncore,

Thank a lot for your guides. I have some queries about your calc., Sin( 15° ) or Sin( 20° ) is correct ? the duct mouth chamfer 5° therefore cover open with an angle 20° to vertical axis.

The result 63.8354 Pa is static or dynamic pressure ? if this is dynamic so how to find the static pressure ?

I had a mistake when mentioned air flow rate 40 litre/sec, it should be "minimum 40 litre/sec" as duty request air changes factor minimum 3 times of duct volume / 5 minutes (equiv. 32 litre/sec). Due to very tight room I can't chose a fan with big air flow, an ideal is sizing fan with enough pressure with airflow rate just enough.

Nidum said:
Could you use a balanced door so that only a small force would be needed to open it ?

Thank Nidum, the balanced door look not suitable to this case as the hinge axis is horizonal not vertical as door. I'm thinking a counterweight on the cover may works.

longz said:
I have some queries about your calc.
Check my calculations carefully, especially the units. It was only a guess at the best approach.
Yes, the duct cover angle needs to be increased to 20°.

longz said:
The result 63.8354 Pa is static or dynamic pressure ?
I believe it is both.
We do know that the dynamic pressure of the duct airflow will act on the door. I assumed it would act at the centre of the door and ignored the height of the hinge.
The force needed to hold the duct cover open is known, but we do not know where the static pressure will be dropped as the air escapes from the duct through the partly open cover.
You might consider a lighter-weight duct cover to save energy.

Take into consideration the pressure drop along the 20m duct , the static pressure at the fan will be higher by 20-30% from the above calculated value

you could add spring to act as counter weight

Thank Malemk for your advises.
The ducting system has just updated with an equipment installed at the outlet of the fan with back pressure 40 mBar !. the fan now come to quite huge .
I come up with an solution use available compressed air to push the cover open and the fan just blow air out.

One again, Much appreciated to all great PF guys and Happy New Year 2017 to all.

1. What is fan static pressure and why is it important?

Fan static pressure is the measure of the resistance to airflow in a ventilation system. It is important because it determines the amount of force needed for the fan to move air through the system, which affects its performance and energy efficiency.

2. How do you calculate the fan static pressure needed to open a cover?

To calculate the fan static pressure needed to open a cover, you will need to know the size and shape of the cover, the air velocity in the duct, and the airflow rate required. Using these values, you can use the fan static pressure calculation formula: Fan Static Pressure = (Velocity Pressure x Duct Area) + (0.109 x Airflow Rate).

3. What factors can affect the fan static pressure needed to open a cover?

There are several factors that can affect the fan static pressure needed to open a cover, including the size and shape of the cover, the air velocity in the duct, the type and efficiency of the fan, and the condition of the ductwork.

4. Can the fan static pressure be adjusted to open a cover?

Yes, the fan static pressure can be adjusted to open a cover by changing the fan speed or using a variable speed drive. However, it is important to ensure that the fan is still able to provide the necessary airflow and pressure for proper ventilation.

5. How can you determine the correct fan static pressure for a specific cover?

The correct fan static pressure for a specific cover can be determined by consulting with a ventilation engineer or using a fan selection software. These tools can help calculate the required fan static pressure based on the specific dimensions and conditions of the system.