Sketch the function by hand -- I'm confused on how to do this

In summary: So the domain is all real numbers between 0 and 16, inclusive.Next, you need to find the range. This is a little more complicated since the square root can produce negative numbers. However, since the function produces a real number, it must be true that ##-16x^2 + 16x + 5 \le 16##. You can find the range by completing the square again. This time, the range is all real numbers between 0 and 16, but not including 17.In summary, the function f(x) = 1/28 (7√−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12) has a domain of all real numbers between 0 and 16, and a range
kvilv113
Homework Statement
Sketch by hand the function
Relevant Equations
f(x) = 1/28 (7√−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12)
Sketch by hand the function determined as f(x) = 1/28 (7√−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12) and then From the sketch, determine the domain and range of f in interval notation. Hint: Interpret f as part of a circle. You must include in your solutions the inputs and outputs you used to help you sketch the graph of f.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two problems with your post:
1) It's not clear how much is under the square root. Use parentheses to make it clear.
2) For homework-type problems, we are only allowed to give hints and guidance to the correct solution. You have to do the work and show it. You do not show any work.

kvilv113 said:
Homework Statement:: Sketch by hand the function
Relevant Equations:: f(x) = 1/28 (7√−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12)

Sketch by hand the function determined as f(x) = 1/28 (7√−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12) and then From the sketch, determine the domain and range of f in interval notation. Hint: Interpret f as part of a circle. You must include in your solutions the inputs and outputs you used to help you sketch the graph of f.
Welcome to PF.

Well, first of all please format the equation a little better so we can see what it is. There appear to be missing parenthesis and an abiguous placement of a square root sign.

It's best if you use LaTeX to post math equations. That makes them unambiguous and easier to read. I can try to guess at your equation and post it in LaTeX, but I could easily get it wrong...

Maybe...?
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{28} 7 \sqrt{−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12}$$

berkeman said:
Maybe...?
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{28}(7 \sqrt{−16x^2 + 16x + 5 + 12}$$
but the 12 isn't in the root sorry i didnt know how to post the equation better

So more like this maybe?
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{28} 7 \sqrt{−16x^2 + 16x + 5} + 12$$

yes
exactly

BTW, you can click the "Reply" link in the lower right of my post in order to see how I posted that LaTeX. You may need to click the "[ ]" BB-toggle icon in the upper right of the Edit window to get the raw LaTeX view.

Be sure to look through the "LaTeX Guide" link at the lower left of the Edit window to learn more.

kvilv113 said:
yes
exactly
Okay, so to start sketching it, just make a table of x,f(x) and start plugging in integers for x. I'd start with 0, 1, 2, ... etc, and then go back and plug in some negative numbers for x...

berkeman said:
So more like this maybe?
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{28} 7 \sqrt{−16x^2 + 16x + 5} + 12$$
kvilv113 said:
yes
exactly

First thing to do is to simplify 7/28.
Then, what I would do is to figure out the domain. For the square root to produce a real number value, it must be true that ##-16x^2 + 16x + 5 \ge 0##. You can do this by completing the square. Presumably you've already studied this technique if the book is asking you to plot a graph of this function.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. How do I know which points to plot on the graph?

The points to plot on the graph can be determined by using the given function and plugging in different values for the independent variable (usually denoted as x). The resulting y-values can then be plotted on the graph.

2. What do I do if I don't have enough information about the function?

If you don't have enough information about the function, you can try to find the domain and range of the function, as well as any known intercepts or asymptotes. This can help you determine the general shape of the graph.

3. How can I ensure that my graph is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully label the axes and use a ruler or graphing software to plot the points. Additionally, double-checking your work and making sure your graph matches the given function can help ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use any scale for the axes?

Yes, you can use any scale for the axes as long as it accurately represents the data. However, it is recommended to use a scale that evenly distributes the points on the graph and makes it easy to read and interpret.

5. What should I do if the function has a complicated equation?

If the function has a complicated equation, you can try to simplify it or break it down into smaller parts to make it easier to graph. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to help you plot the points accurately.