Sketching Complex Numbers in the Complex Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complex numbers and the challenges of sketching them, particularly in relation to the subset {z∈C : Rez =|z−2|}. It is explained that the real part of a complex number can be calculated by finding the magnitude, and the simplified equation for Re(z) is given as x = ¼y2 + 1.
MickeyBlue
I've just had my first batch of lectures on complex numbers (a very new idea to me). Algebraic operations and the idea behind conjugates are straightforward enough, as these seem to boil down to vectors.

My problem is sketching. I have trouble defining the real and imaginary parts, and I don't understand how some subsets translate into conic sections.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on complex number sketching? (And, specifically, why {z∈C : Rez =|z−2|} is a parabola?)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MickeyBlue said:
I've just had my first batch of lectures on complex numbers (a very new idea to me). Algebraic operations and the idea behind conjugates are straightforward enough, as these seem to boil down to vectors.

My problem is sketching. I have trouble defining the real and imaginary parts, and I don't understand how some subsets translate into conic sections.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on complex number sketching? (And, specifically, why {z∈C : Rez =|z−2|} is a parabola?)

What do you mean? Sketching a number like ##z = 2 + 3i## in the complex plane?

MickeyBlue said:
And, specifically, why {z∈C : Rez =|z−2|} is a parabola?
Let z = x + iy
What is Re(z)?

Geometrically |z - 2| represents the distance between an arbitrary complex number and the number 2 (a purely real complex number). How do you calculate the magnitude of a complex number?

Mark44 said:
Let z = x + iy
What is Re(z)?

Geometrically |z - 2| represents the distance between an arbitrary complex number and the number 2 (a purely real complex number). How do you calculate the magnitude of a complex number?

x is Re(z). The magnitude is the square root of the sum of the real part squared, and the imaginary part squared. Does this mean that Re(z) = I x + iy - 2I?

MickeyBlue said:
x is Re(z). The magnitude is the square root of the sum of the real part squared, and the imaginary part squared. Does this mean that Re(z) = I x + iy - 2I?
Yes. Now can you simplify the right side by finding the magnitude? Note that x + iy - 2 = x - 2 + iy.

Likes MickeyBlue
Oh, I think I see now. Re(z) = x = I x + iy - 2I. This can be simplified to:

x = √(x-2)2 + y2

x2 = (x-2)2 + y2

0 = y2 - 4x +4

x = ¼y2 + 1

Thank you so much. I must not have taken note of the modulus.

1. What is the complex plane?

The complex plane is a geometric representation of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, with the origin at (0,0). Complex numbers are plotted as points on the plane, with the real component represented by the x-coordinate and the imaginary component represented by the y-coordinate.

2. How do you sketch a complex number on the complex plane?

To sketch a complex number on the complex plane, first identify the real and imaginary components of the number. Then, plot the point on the plane by moving along the x-axis for the real component and along the y-axis for the imaginary component. The resulting point will be the representation of the complex number on the complex plane.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components. In other words, it is the absolute value of the complex number.

4. How do you represent addition and subtraction of complex numbers on the complex plane?

To represent addition and subtraction of complex numbers on the complex plane, you can use the parallelogram rule. This involves drawing a parallelogram on the complex plane, with the complex numbers as two adjacent sides. The diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum or difference of the complex numbers, depending on whether you are adding or subtracting.

5. Why is the complex plane useful in representing complex numbers?

The complex plane is useful in representing complex numbers because it allows for a visual understanding of the numbers and their relationships. It also makes it easier to perform operations on complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Additionally, the complex plane is helpful in solving equations involving complex numbers, as it provides a graphical representation of the solutions.