Slopes product = -1 <===> lines perpendicular

In summary, if the slopes of two lines a1, a2 (that are not vertical) satisfy:m1*m2 = -1, then the lines are perpendicular.
Dank2

Homework Statement

Proof that if the slopes of two lines a1, a2 (that are not vertical), m1,m2 satisfy:
m1*m2 = -1, then the lines are perpendicular.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the tan function, so that m1 = tanΘ where Θ1 is the angle of the line formed from x axis.
and m2 = tanΘ2.
now tanΘ21 = -1,
I tried using the tan(Θ1+Θ2) = but after simplifing i got (tanΘ1 - tankΘ2)/2
not sure if I am on the right way, rather solve it using trig.

ok found the answer, i had to use the points (1,m1), (1, m2), form a triangle and check for Pythagorean theorem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You can use the addition theorem of cosine for ##\Theta_1 - \Theta_2##.

Likes Dank2
Dank2 said:

Homework Statement

Proof that if the slopes of two lines a1, a2 (that are not vertical), m1,m2 satisfy:
m1*m2 = -1, then the lines are perpendicular.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the tan function, so that m1 = tanΘ where Θ1 is the angle of the line formed from x axis.
and m2 = tanΘ2.
now tanΘ21 = -1,
I tried using the tan(Θ1+Θ2) = but after simplifing i got (tanΘ1 - tankΘ2)/2
not sure if I'm on the right way, rather solve it using trig.

ok found the answer, i had to use the points (1,m1), (1, m2), form a triangle and check for Pythagorean theorem.

if you use the points, (1,m1), and (1, m2), then what's the third point you use to form the triangle?

How are these points related to the lines a1 and a2 and the slopes of these lines?

Likes Dank2
fresh_42 said:
Hint: You can use the addition theorem of cosine for ##\Theta_1 - \Theta_2##.

Yes, cos(Θ1-Θ2) = cosΘ1*cosΘ2 + sinΘ1*sinΘ2 = 1/sqrt(1+m12)* -1/sqrt(1 + (-1/m)2) + m1/sqrt(1+m12)*(-1/m1)/sqrt(1 + (-1/m)2) = 1 / * + -1 / * = 0 ==> Θ1-Θ2 = right angle, thanks. i see i must use the triangle to proof it in both ways.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
if you use the points, (1,m1), and (1, m2), then what's the third point you use to form the triangle?

How are these points related to the lines a1 and a2 and the slopes of these lines?
hey sammy, I've already seen a solution for it , and i marked the thread as solved. thanks.

Dank2 said:
hey sammy, I've already seen a solution for it , and i marked the thread as solved. thanks.
Well, it's true that I'm not grading your work, but if I were grading it, I would expect those issues to be addressed.

The points (1, m1) and (1, m2) are not likely to be on the lines involved .

Likes Dank2
SammyS said:

Why not? If m1 = tanΘ =y/x
Then (x, m1x) is on the line and so (1, m1)

SammyS said:
Well, it's true that I'm not grading your work, but if I were grading it, I would expect those issues to be addressed.

Maybe I should have added needed to be copied so that they will intersect with (0,0), and then we can always have the mentioned dots and form the triangle?

Dank2 said:
Maybe I should have added needed to be copied so that they will intersect with (0,0), and then we can always have the mentioned dots and form the triangle?
... and perhaps:

The points (0, 0) and (1, m1) either lie on line a1 or lie on a line parallel to a1.

Similarly for (0, 0) and (1, m2) and line a2 ...

Dank2 said:
You don't need this as requirement. None of your lines is vertical. Thus you can always draw a coordinate system, in which the origin is the intersection point and, say the ##x-##axis a third line (also intersecting at the origin of course). With that you have defined ##\Theta_1## and ##\Theta_2##.

most probably you can use addition theorem of cosine for ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_ 2##... i hope this hint will help you..

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does it mean for the slope product to equal -1?

When two lines have a slope product of -1, it means that they are perpendicular to each other. This means that they intersect at a 90 degree angle and have opposite reciprocal slopes.

2. How do you find the slope product of two lines?

To find the slope product of two lines, you need to first find the slopes of each line. Then, multiply the two slopes together. If the product is -1, the lines are perpendicular.

3. Can two lines with the same slope be perpendicular?

No, two lines with the same slope can never be perpendicular. Perpendicular lines must have opposite reciprocal slopes, meaning one slope is the negative inverse of the other.

4. Is it possible for two lines to be perpendicular if their slopes are both zero?

No, if two lines have slopes of zero, they are parallel and will never intersect. Perpendicular lines must intersect at a 90 degree angle, so they cannot have a slope of zero.

5. How can the concept of perpendicular slopes be applied in real life?

The concept of perpendicular slopes is commonly used in engineering, architecture, and construction. For example, when building a house, the walls are typically perpendicular to the floor, creating a stable and sturdy structure. In road design, the slope of a road must be perpendicular to the slope of a hill to ensure safe and efficient travel.