Slow Light: Can Light Gain Mass and Accelerate?

• Thread starter sirchick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of slowing down light and whether it gains mass or potential energy in the process. It is explained that light appears to travel slower in different mediums due to absorption and reemission, but it always travels at a constant speed in a vacuum. The discussion also touches on the concept of momentum and how it relates to the speed of light. Finally, there is a brief mention of the purpose of a FAQ in this context.
sirchick
Hey

I was reading about an experiment that slows light down to 1 mile an hour:

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/655518.stm

What i wanted to ask was, if light slows down, does it gain mass whilst it is moving slower than its maximum speed limit in a vacuum, in effect building "potential energy" for when it exits an object that slows it down, then shoots off to maximum speed in a vacuum again ? ?

If light escapes an object that slowed it down, where is the force that speeds it back up once its left that object, instead of just staying at the speed it was slowed down to.

Shouldn't there be some kind of force that accelerates when it leaves the object, perhaps by expelling mass or something ?

Science news on Phys.org
light is moving at c when it is in between electrons in the material. There is just a lot of absorption and re emission that's causes this time lag.

cragar said:
light is moving at c when it is in between electrons in the material. There is just a lot of absorption and re emission that's causes this time lag.
You can describe light in a medium as an effective slow particle, too.

A force is required only if the momentum changes, not the velocity. As far as I know, the momentum of slow light is an ongoing discussion (for example, see this pdf). In any case, light does interact with a medium, therefore it can exchange momentum.

A photo cannot exist at less than C. it is emitted at C and only exists because at C it doesn't experience time as passing. as soon as its velocity drops below C it "ages" and is gone. When traveling through some materials it is constantly deflected or absorbed and re-emitted so it seems to be traveling slower but it always travels at C.
Paul

The speed of light is a constant in a vacuum, as you have said. As for the slowing down of light, light appears to travel slower within different mediums as the photon is constantly being absorbed and remitted from the atoms of that medium. Once the photon leaves one of the atoms of the medium, it travels at a constant speed until it is reabsorbed by another atom. Light never travels below c, it is only that the absorption and reemission of the photons causes a slight delay which gives the appearance of a slower traveling speed.

AbsoluteZer0 said:
The speed of light is a constant in a vacuum, as you have said. As for the slowing down of light, light appears to travel slower within different mediums as the photon is constantly being absorbed and remitted from the atoms of that medium. Once the photon leaves one of the atoms of the medium, it travels at a constant speed until it is reabsorbed by another atom. Light never travels below c, it is only that the absorption and reemission of the photons causes a slight delay which gives the appearance of a slower traveling speed.

I believe I just said that...?!
Paul

PaulS1950 said:
I believe I just said that...?!
Paul

I didn't read the previous responses. After reading your response, I now see how similar our two responses are. Despite their similarities, it is purely coincidence that they sound so similar. I apologize for the apparent plagiarism.

Last edited:

1. Can light actually gain mass and accelerate?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, light does not have mass and therefore cannot gain mass. However, under certain conditions, light can appear to slow down or speed up, which may give the illusion of acceleration.

2. What is the concept of "slow light"?

"Slow light" refers to the phenomenon of light appearing to slow down as it travels through certain materials or in specific conditions. This is due to the interaction of light with the atoms and molecules in the material, causing it to temporarily lose energy and slow down.

3. How is slow light different from regular light?

Regular light travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. Slow light, on the other hand, can travel at significantly slower speeds, sometimes even as slow as a few meters per second, depending on the material it is passing through.

4. What are some potential applications of slow light?

Slow light has potential applications in the development of new optical devices, such as delay lines, signal processors, and optical buffers. It can also be used in quantum computing and communication, as well as in the study of fundamental physics and the behavior of light.

5. Can slow light be used to create a form of time travel?

No, slow light does not allow for actual time travel. While it may appear to slow down the speed of light, it does not change the fundamental principles of causality and the speed of light being the maximum speed in the universe.