Small Reflective Projector LCD

In summary: Basically I want to know how I can effectively test the reflective LCD to see if it's indeed trying to display the image from the PC.Do I need to polarize the laser before it hits the LCD? Do I need a more powerful laser?I am stuck at the moment and any help would be appreciated.Thank you
Jason E
Hello,

I need some assistance on a current project I'm working on.

Here is some basic background information:
I am currently trying to use a "makeshift" SLM, spatial light modulator, to impose a diffraction pattern so that when I shine a laser on it, the beam is diffracted into a donut shape which I will then use for STED microscopy. That is the basic premise.

What I have so far:
-Matlab code that creates a diffraction pattern, based on resolution, that will in turn create a donut shaped beam for ionization when a laser hits the diffraction pattern
-A makeshift SLM that was built by someone else in my group by using an old projector. Steps were followed in a research paper to use the projector as an SLM

What I am trying to do:
-Run the code on my computer and generate a diffraction patter. Then, using a video cable, display the image on the pc screen onto the lcd
-Next shine a laser on the lcd in order to create the donut shaped beam
-Apply the beam to a diamond sample to run my groups experiment

What I'm stuck on:
-I have no way of knowing whether or not the image I have on my computer is being sent through the cable and causing the LCD to align itself in a way that will simulate the diffraction pattern.
I've tried using a low powered laser to shine on the LCD but it seems as though the crystals never change no matter what image I display on the computer

Basically I want to know how I can effectively test the reflective LCD to see if it's indeed trying to display the image from the PC.

Do I need to polarize the laser before it hits the LCD? Do I need a more powerful laser?

I am stuck at the moment and any help would be appreciated.

I have information on the reflective LCD being used if need be. I can also take pictures of the set-up tomorrow for reference

Thank you

[ Mod Note: will try this thread in General Physics ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Here is an http://www.lxdinc.com/faq/difference_between_reflective_and_transreflective of the three types of LCD displays and their construction. Hopefully it has enough information for you to get a visual indication of what, if anything, is on the display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason E said:
Hello,

I need some assistance on a current project I'm working on.

Basically I want to know how I can effectively test the reflective LCD to see if it's indeed trying to display the image from the PC.

Do I need to polarize the laser before it hits the LCD? Do I need a more powerful laser?

I am stuck at the moment and any help would be appreciated.

I have information on the reflective LCD being used if need be. I can also take pictures of the set-up tomorrow for reference

I have a small amount of experience with this type of device.

Can you simply place a linear polarizer over the SLM and view the pixel array directly to verify that the elements are being controlled as you expect?

Can you program a 'test pattern'(say, an array of stripes) or otherwise verify the device works?

Hello thank you for all your responses.

I have been late in my responses because my phone recently broke and it had all the information of my project on it. I am still waiting for my new phone so I can recollect the data and take new pictures

Andy Resnick said:
I have a small amount of experience with this type of device.

Can you simply place a linear polarizer over the SLM and view the pixel array directly to verify that the elements are being controlled as you expect?

Can you program a 'test pattern'(say, an array of stripes) or otherwise verify the device works?

This is what I have been trying to do I believe. We have patterns already generated from the Matlab code. What I do is display that image, fullscreen, on the computer screen, then use DVI cables to connect it to the projectors DVI inputs and 'test' the LCD with a laser to see if anything has changed. I put on projector mode from the computer so I know that the image is supposed to be duplicated.

There's no discernible difference in the layout of the pixels that are reflected when I illuminate it with the laser. For example I'll have the pattern on the screen, output it with projector mode, then shine a laser on the small LCD and it reflects an orderly grid of pixels on the wall. Then I'll test with other patterns, I'll test with different pictures, I'll test it by taking off the LCD and it's pattern stays exactly the same everytime.

I don't know if maybe the laser is too narrow, or if the set-up is even correct in the first place where the LCD is changing according to the displayed image

I would think the easiest way to see if the LCD is doing anything would be to place it over a light table or similar between crossed sheets of Polaroid. (I.e. A polarimeter) These are common tools and someone around the building may already have one hidden in the back of a cabinet. You'll probably need a magnifier to see the pixels, so try it in a low mag field microscope. Failing that, try changing large blocks of pixels the same way so the blocks are big enough for you to see.

Oops, sorry. My last post is too much like post 4. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

mike.Albert99 said:
Oops, sorry. My last post is too much like post 4. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

No worries, all ideas are appreciated. Everything helps to be honest, I have different perspectives on what I can do now.

So do you know what that pattern is after I illuminate it with a laser?

Jason E said:
<snip>
I don't know if maybe the laser is too narrow, or if the set-up is even correct in the first place where the LCD is changing according to the displayed image

Wait- you haven't expanded the laser beam? It should illuminate nearly the entire LCD.

Andy Resnick said:
Wait- you haven't expanded the laser beam? It should illuminate nearly the entire LCD.
No I haven't. The other problem is that the dount shaped pattern needs to be very small, it is being projected onto a small diamond sample -- it needs to be in the range of microns.

How would I go about expanding the beam and then ensuring the size of the pattern? Is the size completely dependent on the code I have to create the diffraction patterns?

Jason E said:
No I haven't. The other problem is that the dount shaped pattern needs to be very small, it is being projected onto a small diamond sample -- it needs to be in the range of microns.

How would I go about expanding the beam and then ensuring the size of the pattern? Is the size completely dependent on the code I have to create the diffraction patterns?

Ah- now I understand why nothing is happening. Expand the beam with a spatial filter + plano-convex lens enough to barely cover the LCD array. Then use optics to focus the diffracted beam down as needed- sounds like you may need to use a microscope objective.

I'm somewhat concerned that you are working alone on this, since nobody in your group is providing basic assistance...?

Andy Resnick said:
Ah- now I understand why nothing is happening. Expand the beam with a spatial filter + plano-convex lens enough to barely cover the LCD array. Then use optics to focus the diffracted beam down as needed- sounds like you may need to use a microscope objective.

I'm somewhat concerned that you are working alone on this, since nobody in your group is providing basic assistance...?
Wow this sounds promising. Thank you.

Well I am an undergrad graduating next year. I joined my professors team and they obviously want me to learn so they gave me a project under the guidance of another group member. He's helped, as well as others, along the way in a lot of ways. In fact a lot of the results has been a product of his work. However they have their own independent sections of work they need to do so I really need to figure out how to at least do this. They weren't sure either but that's probably because this wasnt their primary task. I have a full schedule also so its pretty difficult to even get hours in at the lab

1. What is a Small Reflective Projector LCD?

A Small Reflective Projector LCD, also known as a mini projector, is a compact device that projects images or videos onto a surface using a combination of light and mirrors. It typically includes an LCD (liquid crystal display) panel, which acts as the image source, and a light source such as an LED (light-emitting diode) or laser. The reflective nature of the projector allows for a smaller size and lower power consumption compared to traditional projectors.

2. How does a Small Reflective Projector LCD work?

The LCD panel in a Small Reflective Projector LCD contains millions of tiny pixels that can be controlled individually. When an image or video is displayed on the LCD, the pixels are illuminated by the light source and act as small shutter gates, either allowing light to pass through or blocking it. The light then passes through a series of mirrors, which reflect and magnify the image onto a surface, creating a larger projection of the image.

3. What are the advantages of using a Small Reflective Projector LCD?

One of the main advantages of a Small Reflective Projector LCD is its compact size. It can easily be transported and used in various locations, making it a convenient option for presentations or entertainment purposes. It also consumes less power compared to traditional projectors, making it more energy-efficient and cost-effective. Additionally, the reflective technology allows for a clearer and brighter projection, even in well-lit environments.

4. What are some common uses for a Small Reflective Projector LCD?

A Small Reflective Projector LCD can be used for a variety of purposes, including presentations, movie nights, gaming, and education. It can also be used in business settings for advertising or displaying information. With its portability and versatility, a Small Reflective Projector LCD can be used in both personal and professional settings.

5. How do I choose the right Small Reflective Projector LCD for my needs?

When choosing a Small Reflective Projector LCD, it is important to consider factors such as resolution, brightness, and connectivity options. The resolution will determine the clarity and sharpness of the projected image, while the brightness will affect the visibility in different lighting conditions. Additionally, you should consider the types of devices you want to connect to the projector, such as laptops, smartphones, or gaming consoles, and ensure that the projector has the necessary ports and compatibility.