Small size Motor to generate this torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a motor to move two magnets with a torque of 0.4 N*m. The speaker has found tiny motors with 4000 RPM but is unsure if they are strong enough. They are advised to look for a servo motor and consider using a gear box to increase torque. The speaker then mentions finding micro servo motors that are small in size and will continue researching them.
zach_wildmind
Good day everyone. I have two magnets where if I rotate them 20° they disconnect. It has a 0.4 N* m force of torque. I want to make them move with a motor. However I need it as little as possible. So after doing research I found tiny motors that are around 4000 RPM. It doesn't mention the HP they produce. I was wondering if there was a way I could find out if the motor is strong enough to produce 0.4 N*m of force. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
zach_wildmind said:
I was wondering if there was a way I could find out if the motor is strong enough to produce 0.4 N*m of force.
The torque will vary with RPM. You need the specific torque for the RPM you require. It sounds like you need a servo motor.

What rpm do you need? You can increase torque at the expense of reducing rpm using a gear box.

After looking for a servo motor I believed I found exactly what I needed. To be honest I was looking for micro servo motors (I had never heard about these). Basically I didn't need much rpm ( I didn't need it fast) I just needed it to be very very small in length width and height as I need to compact all of it as much as possible. I will continue researching the micro servo motors. I believe it is what I need. Thank you.

Likes CWatters and berkeman

1. How does a small size motor generate enough torque?

A small size motor generates torque through the interaction of magnetic fields and electric currents. When an electric current passes through the motor's coils, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets inside the motor. This interaction produces torque, which is the rotational force that enables the motor to turn.

2. What factors affect the torque output of a small size motor?

The torque output of a small size motor can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the permanent magnets, the number of coils in the motor, and the amount of current passing through the motor. The design and efficiency of the motor also play a role in its torque output.

3. Can a small size motor generate the same amount of torque as a larger motor?

While a larger motor may have more physical space for larger magnets and coils, a small size motor can still generate a significant amount of torque. The key is to optimize the motor's design and components for maximum efficiency. With advancements in technology, small size motors are becoming more powerful and can often match the torque output of larger motors.

4. How does the voltage and current affect the torque output of a small size motor?

The torque output of a small size motor is directly proportional to the voltage and current passing through it. This means that increasing the voltage or current will result in a higher torque output. However, it's important to note that increasing the voltage or current beyond the motor's rated limit can damage the motor and decrease its lifespan.

5. Can a small size motor be used for heavy-duty applications?

Yes, a small size motor can be used for heavy-duty applications as long as it is designed and built to handle the required torque and power. This may involve using high-strength materials, increasing the number of coils and magnets, and optimizing the motor's design for maximum efficiency. It's important to carefully consider the application and choose a motor that can handle the required workload.