Smallest Value of a for 5ln(x)-5x^2≤4x+a

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, Petrus asked for clarification on his approach to finding the smallest value of a for which the inequality 5\ln(x)-5x^2≤4x+a is observed for all x>0. He was advised to take the derivative of the function and use that to find the critical point, which he did correctly. He was then reminded that he was looking for the maximum value that is just under 0, which can be solved by plugging in the positive root he found into the inequality. It was confirmed that Petrus had arrived at the correct answer and he thanked Jameson for the explanation and encouragement.
Petrus
What is the smallest value of a for which the inequality \(\displaystyle 5\ln(x)-5x^2≤4x+a\) is observed for al \(\displaystyle x>0\)
My progress:
I rewrite it as \(\displaystyle 5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x≤a\) and then derivate andfind the ciritical point
\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{5}{x}-10x-4\)
\(\displaystyle x_1=\frac{1}{10}(-2-3\sqrt{6})\) (Notice that it says \(\displaystyle x>0\) and this is negative root so we shall ignore it.
\(\displaystyle x_2=\frac{1}{10}(3\sqrt{6}-2)\) (this root work fine!)
then I shall put that x value in \(\displaystyle 5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x\) and I get the answer
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=5*ln%281%2F10%283sqrt%286%29-2%29%29-5%281%2F10%283sqrt%286%29-2%29%29^2-4%281%2F10%283sqrt%286%29-2%29%29
Is this correct thinking or I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: inequality,ln

Hi Petrus. :) You're doing the right thing but let's make sure you know why. You're starting with this $f(x)$ actually: $f(x)=5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a$. You don't know what $a$ is yet. Now you want to find $a$ such that $5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a \le 0$ and even more the smallest $a$ for which this is true.

(Put another way this means there isn't another number, $b$ such that $5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a \le 5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-b \le 0$, but this isn't really necessary to write for the problem).

If you noticed that the graph of $f(x)$ looks like an upside down parabola for the most part then you should realize you're looking for a maximum that is just under 0. So you should take the derivative as you seem to have done, and then use that to find $a$. If you plug in the positive root you found into $5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a \le 0$, that is find \(\displaystyle f \left( \frac{1}{10}(3\sqrt{6}-2) \right)\)you should be able to solve for $a$.

EDIT: Oops, sounds like you knew all of that. Well if you graph your answer with $a=-6.7$ you get this:

[GRAPH]wurgoeposl[/GRAPH]

So it looks like you've found the right answer from what I see. (Yes)

Last edited:
Re: inequality,ln

Jameson said:
Hi Petrus. :) You're doing the right thing but let's make sure you know why. You're starting with this $f(x)$ actually: $f(x)=5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a$. You don't know what $a$ is yet. Now you want to find $a$ such that $5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a \le 0$ and even more the smallest $a$ for which this is true.

(Put another way this means there isn't another number, $b$ such that $5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a \le 5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-b \le 0$, but this isn't really necessary to write for the problem).

If you noticed that the graph of $f(x)$ looks like an upside down parabola for the most part then you should realize you're looking for a maximum that is just under 0. So you should take the derivative as you seem to have done, and then use that to find $a$. If you plug in the positive root you found into $5\ln(x)-5x^2-4x-a \le 0$, that is find \(\displaystyle f \left( \frac{1}{10}(3\sqrt{6}-2) \right)\)you should be able to solve for $a$.

EDIT: Oops, sounds like you knew all of that. Well if you graph your answer with $a=-6.7$ you get this:

[GRAPH]wurgoeposl[/GRAPH]

So it looks like you've found the right answer from what I see. (Yes)
Hello Jameson!
Thanks again for the help and for that good explain!:) If I am honest I did not understand clearly why I did like this when I did read from my math book but now you made it more clearly for me!:) Keep doing good responed as you usually do cause I like them!:) Thanks thanks!:)(Yes)(Poolparty)(Cake)

1. What is the smallest value of a that satisfies the inequality 5ln(x)-5x^2≤4x+a?

The smallest value of a that satisfies the inequality is -5. This means that any value of a that is equal to or less than -5 will make the inequality true.

2. How do you solve for the smallest value of a in the given inequality?

To solve for the smallest value of a, we first need to isolate the variable a on one side of the inequality. In this case, we can subtract 4x from both sides to get 5ln(x)-5x^2-4x≤a. Then, we can find the derivative of the function 5ln(x)-5x^2-4x and set it equal to 0 to find the critical points. The smallest value of a will be the value that makes the inequality true at the critical points.

3. Can the value of a be negative?

Yes, the value of a can be negative. In fact, in this case, the smallest value of a is negative. This means that any value of a that is equal to or less than the smallest value will satisfy the inequality.

4. What is the significance of finding the smallest value of a in this inequality?

Finding the smallest value of a allows us to determine the range of values of a that will satisfy the inequality. This information can be useful in various applications, such as optimization problems in economics and engineering.

5. Is there more than one value of a that satisfies the inequality?

Yes, there can be more than one value of a that satisfies the inequality. In this case, we are looking for the smallest value of a, but there may be other values that also make the inequality true. However, once we find the smallest value of a, we know that all values of a that are equal to or less than the smallest value will also satisfy the inequality.