Sneaker heat diffusion through walking

In summary, the amount of heat lost in the kinematic action of putting your foot on the ground while walking depends on various factors such as surface area, speed of impact, and material types. Walking is more efficient than running as the body is constructed to minimize up and down motion. In running, the body muscles may act as a spring to store and release some energy. From a physics perspective, no energy is lost if the legs are rigid and there is no sliding of the foot on the surface.
charlesworth
Hi,

I'd like to figure out the amount of heat lost in the kinematic action of putting your foot on the ground while walking. I'm not interested in the diffussion of body heat through the shoe or anything, just the heat energy released by the impact itself. I know this is obscure, and probably impossible to do accurately, but anything will help.

I'm assuming that it will include variables like surface area, speed of impact, and material types.

Again, anything would be helpful, thanks,

-Ian

Science news on Phys.org
charlesworth said:
Hi,

I'd like to figure out the amount of heat lost in the kinematic action of putting your foot on the ground while walking. I'm not interested in the diffussion of body heat through the shoe or anything, just the heat energy released by the impact itself. I know this is obscure, and probably impossible to do accurately, but anything will help.

I'm assuming that it will include variables like surface area, speed of impact, and material types.
It depends on many factors. Walking is more efficient than running, for example. In walking, the body is constructed so that minimal up and down motion occurs. Very little energy is lost in the foot impacting the ground.

When running, there is more of an impact but the body muscles can act as a kind of spring (depending on how fit you may be) and may store some of that energy and release it when pushing off.

From a physics perspective, there is no energy lost if the force does not act through a distance. So if the person's legs are perfectly rigid on impact and no sliding of the foot on the surface, there is no work done so there is no energy lost on impact (ignoring sound).

AM

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your interest in studying the heat diffusion in walking. This is a complex topic as it involves various variables and factors. To accurately determine the amount of heat lost in the kinematic action of walking, we would need to conduct controlled experiments using specialized equipment.

Some potential variables to consider in this study could include the surface area of the foot in contact with the ground, the speed and force of impact, the material properties of the shoe and ground surface, and the individual's body temperature and walking style. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and air flow could also play a role in heat diffusion during walking.

To accurately measure the amount of heat lost, we would need to use thermographic imaging or other specialized equipment to capture the changes in temperature during the walking motion. This data could then be analyzed to calculate the heat diffusion and compare it to other variables.

While this may seem like a challenging task, with careful planning and precise measurements, it is possible to gain insights into the heat diffusion during walking. I would recommend conducting further research and consulting with experts in this field to design a comprehensive study that can provide valuable insights into this topic.

Best of luck with your research!

Related to Sneaker heat diffusion through walking

1. How does walking affect the diffusion of heat in sneakers?

When we walk, our feet generate heat and sweat, which creates a warm and moist environment inside our sneakers. This heat then begins to diffuse through the materials of the sneakers, such as the rubber sole, fabric upper, and cushioning. The diffusion process is driven by the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the sneakers, as heat always flows from a warmer area to a cooler one.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat diffusion in sneakers from walking?

The rate of heat diffusion in sneakers can be influenced by several factors, including the material and thickness of the sole and upper, the type and amount of cushioning, the level of activity (e.g. walking vs. running), and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Additionally, the fit of the sneakers and the amount of air circulation inside can also impact the rate of heat diffusion.

3. How does the design of sneakers affect heat diffusion during walking?

The design of sneakers can play a significant role in heat diffusion during walking. Sneakers with a more breathable upper material, such as mesh, can allow for better air circulation and heat dissipation. Additionally, sneakers with thicker and more cushioned soles may retain more heat, while those with thinner soles may allow for quicker heat diffusion.

4. Can the rate of heat diffusion in sneakers be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as the temperature and humidity of the environment can impact the rate of heat diffusion in sneakers. For example, on a hot and humid day, our feet may sweat more, leading to a higher rate of heat diffusion. Similarly, walking on a cold day may cause our feet to generate less heat, resulting in a slower rate of heat diffusion.

5. Is there a way to measure the rate of heat diffusion in sneakers during walking?

Yes, there are various scientific methods and instruments that can be used to measure the rate of heat diffusion in sneakers during walking. For example, thermal imaging cameras can capture the temperature distribution on the surface of the sneakers, providing insights into the heat diffusion process. Additionally, specialized sensors can be inserted into the sneakers to measure changes in temperature and moisture levels during walking.