Solar Power Islanding - Jake Platt

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of "islanding" a solar power system and storing or burning off excess energy. It touches on the difficulties of storing large amounts of energy and the risks involved in attempting to do so. It is suggested to contact a professional electrical engineer for guidance on this matter.
Jake Platt
Hello,

My company operates a 1.6MW solar power system in a net metering configuration in CA. Of course the inverter shuts the system down if the grid goes down. My question is can I somehow "island" the system using a transfer switch so I can continue to generate power if the grid goes down? In this scenario, if my pv system generates more electricity than I am using can I just send the excess electricity into a fly-wheel UPS system or even into a giant motor just to "burn" it up? What about sending the excess to ground? (fyi: I know I am crazy)

Thanks,
Jake Platt

Physics news on Phys.org
hi Jake

you understand why the system gets shut down, don't you ?
and if so you will understand why it could lead to fatal consequences if it isn't shut down ?

Dave

How frequently do you get power cuts in CA?

Storing excess energy from large scale solar plants (and intermittent wind turbines) is difficult. Currently I think only pumped storage is used on any significant scale. This details other approaches..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_energy_storage

I understand the risks, which is why I want to island the pv system from the grid. Further, I don't necessarily want to store the energy, just continue generating so some of it can be used and the excess either stored or burned off somehow.

In the central valley of California, power outages are surprisingly regular during the summer.

It's surely possible, but there's probably a lot of caveats you won't get from an online forum. I think if you want to store hundreds of megajoules in a flywheel, you are probably looking at a flywheel weighing thousands of tons. They exist.

Jake Platt said:
I understand the risks, which is why I want to island the pv system from the grid. Further, I don't necessarily want to store the energy, just continue generating so some of it can be used and the excess either stored or burned off somehow.

I don't see why it can't be used if you have a suitable load on site. You would just need to satisfy your local grid company that there was no danger of you inadvertently supplying the grid while it was down (there are safety issue for engineers working on the lines and other issues).

I don't see any advantage in "burning it off" vs not generating it in the first place.

I'm not sure how the PV inverters keep in sync with the grid. Someone told me recently that the inverters rely on the grid connection to provide the sync frequency. That might be another reason the system won't operate on loss of connection to the grid. Failure to re-sync when the grid comes back could be a big problem unless there's an operator or some kind of automatic system to do the sync.

Jake Platt said:

It's very tricky to fool a grid-tie inverter with a local generator. It needs to qualify the line voltage and frequency, with a consumer quality mechanical generator that's pretty hard to do unless it's a inverter type like the Honda E series. When the inverter does start supplying power your load must at least match the Solar output to keep the voltage from rising out of range of the tie inverter or smoking your generator from the excess voltage.
http://www.metlabs.com/blog/emc/ul-...nverters-includes-anti-islanding-requirement/

For a home sized system the best method is to buy a system what will allow a small amount of the total system power to be used in an emergency if you don't want to deal with battery backed systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake Platt said:
I understand the risks...
I don't think you do. The only responsible course of action here is to contact a licensed professional electrical engineer to discuss this (the solar integrator who set up the system probably has one on staff). We don't have one on site and will not assume any liability for property damage or injury caused by this. Thread locked.

Related to Solar Power Islanding - Jake Platt

1. What is solar power islanding?

Solar power islanding is a phenomenon that occurs when a photovoltaic (PV) system continues to generate electricity during a power outage. This is possible because the PV system is disconnected from the main power grid and functions independently as its own "island" of power.

2. How does solar power islanding happen?

Solar power islanding occurs when there is a fault or disruption in the main power grid. In this situation, the PV system's inverter detects the change in voltage and frequency and automatically disconnects from the grid. This allows the PV system to continue generating power for local use without feeding excess electricity back into the grid.

3. Can solar power islanding be dangerous?

Yes, solar power islanding can be dangerous if the electricity generated by the PV system is not properly managed. If there is still power flowing from the PV system to the main grid, it can create a safety hazard for utility workers attempting to fix the power outage. This is why it is important for PV systems to have anti-islanding protection mechanisms in place.

4. How is solar power islanding prevented?

Anti-islanding protection is typically built into PV systems to prevent solar power islanding. This protection can come in the form of software, hardware, or a combination of both. The most common method is to have the inverter monitor the grid's voltage and frequency and disconnect from the grid if it detects any changes.

5. What are the benefits of solar power islanding?

The main benefit of solar power islanding is that it allows for continued electricity generation during a power outage. This can be especially helpful in emergency situations or in remote areas where power outages may occur frequently. Additionally, solar power islanding can help reduce strain on the main power grid and contribute to a more resilient and sustainable energy system.